Community discussions

MikroTik App

sandbar
just joined
Topic Author

Redo home routing and WiFi with mikrotik

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi first poster here and just been reading about Mikrotik the last couple of days.
I'm running at home ac WiFi and gigabit ethernet Lan. I currently have all in one router / WiFi but not getting the WiFi coverage I need nor the security I want that I've go some lab servers running as I want to setup VPN. I was looking to run pfsense as my firewall router and DHCP but discovered Mikrotik the other day and fancy a change.

I'm proposing to run 2 cap ac access points and a RB3011 routerboard as my DHCP router / firewall. Internet WAN will come from my ADSL modem.
I would like to daisy chain the 2 CAP ac ap's using the POE out from the RB3011 and cap ac respectively to save on cable runs through the attic. Can the RB3011 output enough to run them both @13w each?
Can I run vlans on the RB3011 so I can keep lab servers , home production , guest on different ranges?
If everything is cabled direct into the RB3011 will I be able to map my home lab VM's using the dude?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Redo home routing and WiFi with mikrotik

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 am

I would like to daisy chain the 2 CAP ac ap's using the POE out from the RB3011 and cap ac respectively to save on cable runs through the attic. Can the RB3011 output enough to run them both @13w each?
Not likely. Max output voltage by RB3011 is 30V. Let's assume you'll use such power supply. Each cAP ac consumes up to 13W (if not 24W, not sure what means "without attachments"), at 30V that's 0.43A. Two cAPs in series makes total needed power output 0.87A on RB3011 PoE out port. Specs for RB3011 states max PoE out 600mA. If (realistically) you go with 24V power supply, needed current would raise to at least 1.09A.

However, included with cAP ac is PoE injector which doesn't state max current. Let's assume that's not going to be a problem. So you can go with (nonstandard!) power supply of 48V, 1A and in this case, input of first cAP ac will have to carry 0.55A (specs doesn't state max input power on PoE port, should be at least 1.2A to accomodate standard 24V PS rated at 1.2A) and PoE out will be slightly less than 300mA (if actual consumption will be 13W) which is within limits of max 400mA.

Can I run vlans on the RB3011 so I can keep lab servers , home production , guest on different ranges?
Certainly.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I have two capACs in my house and use the hex router but now have the routerboard RB450gx4.
The two CapACs are running off wired outlets and the provided POE injector that MKX noted.

For POE purposes, most of the units can provide at least one POE output port but check specs and standards closely.
If you want a wired only unit at the home base then the RB450Gx4 has room for growth and would be my first choice.
(just use your all in one wifi router as simply an access point close to the RB450Gx4 !! )

If you want wired and wireless, then look no further than the RB4011 series.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:00 pm

3011 does have it's virtues: ex better switch chips.