Community discussions

MikroTik App

yaylitzis
just joined
Topic Author

Configure VPN (PPTP) connection

Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am

Hello, I am new to Mikrotik routers and I would like a little help in configuring VPN connection. What I want to accomplish is to connect from my home via VPN to my office network.
I am using WinbBox to connect to the Mikrotik router. What I have done till now is:

1. In PPP page, I enabled the PPTP Server.

ppp-1.jpg

2. In Secrets tab I added a new user, where I selected the "pptp" in Service option and I assigned a local and remote address. I assigned IPs from a different subnet (currently the router assign IPs in 192.168.0.x range.

ppp-2.jpg

Then I try to connect from my laptop (Windows 10) and I get the following error. Note, that I try to connect when I am connected outside the office network.

The VPN connection between your computer and the VPN server could not be completed. The most common cause for this failure is that at least one Internet device (for example, a firewall or a router) between your computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) protocol packets. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator or Internet Service Provider.

Thanks a lot ! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mixig

Re: Configure VPN (PPTP) connection

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 pm

You must allow GRE protocol and port 1723 from WAN (input chain in ip firewall filter)

parker55
just joined

Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm

having the same issue... could get through with this

yaylitzis
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm

You must allow GRE protocol and port 1723 from WAN (input chain in ip firewall filter)
Could you guide me how to apply these settings in WinBox?