Community discussions

MikroTik App

leftcoast23
just joined
Topic Author

wAP AC to act as hotspot for Bullet M2HP

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 am

Hi,

I am trying to incorporate my wAP AC to provide wireless internet access for the devices on my sailboat. I've been struggling for a few days now and hope to get some help from you guys.

Here is the background:

- I have a Ubiquiti Bullet M2HP that I have setup as a station to connect to a nearby cafe's wireless access point that is too far away for my laptop to connect to. Typically I login to the M2HP and select the strongest nearby wireless access point and enter the password provided by the owner of that access point (eg - cafe, restaurant, marina, etc)
- The M2HP is setup in router mode to provide DHCP and NAT and is currently wired via ethernet to my MacBook. The Macbook gets on the Internet fine.

Rather than just being able to connect to the Internet on my laptop, I would like to plug my wAP AC via ethernet into the Bullet M2HP so that my phone, tablet, laptop, etc. can all connect wirelessly to the wAP AC and consequently connect to the Internet.

This is probably quite easy for most of you, but stumps me as a beginner. I have already downloaded Winbox and have been able to get into my wAP AC. It'd be great if I could get some help with the settings, however.

I presume the easiest thing is to continue to allow the M2HP to provide DHCP and NAT services and just have the wAP connect my wifi devices to the Internet access provided through the M2HP?

Right now the M2HP is setup with a 192.168.15.254 address and I connect through that via ethernet from my laptop every time I want to enter the device's configuration page to select the strongest nearby wifi access point. I would like to be able to continue doing via wifi once I incorporate the wAP AC in to my system.

Thanks in advance!