Community discussions

MikroTik App

lky
just joined
Topic Author

How to shut down Router before Power Off?

Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi there,

I would like to know how to shut down the router (750 r2) before I switched off the router after using it daily? There isn't a power switch for the router, or this router isn't meant to be switched off most of the time?

Thank!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to shut down Router before Power Off?

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Generally it doesn't hurt to simply cut the power. Log will show a warning about router being restarted without proper shutdown afterwards ...

You can cleanly shutdown the router, there are actions in both GUI and CLI.

My guess is that vast majority of RB owners don't bother switching them off regularly ... I'm not as I never know when my better half might suffer from slight insomnia ...

Binser

Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:30 pm

It is a bit inconvenient to do it the "correct" way.

You must log onto the router and click on "System > Shutdown".

Probably one of the least known commands even for RouterOS pros. :D

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance, but why would we want to shutdown the router at the end of the day? It's Linux based, not Windows :D

Kidding aside, maybe you're dealing with an issue I don't know about... Please let me know.

If one wants to clear memory (???), then perhaps you could simply schedule a reboot.

Cheers,

Sent from my cell phone. Sorry for the errors.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Generally it doesn't hurt to simply cut the power. Log will show a warning about router being restarted without proper shutdown afterwards ...

You can cleanly shutdown the router, there are actions in both GUI and CLI.

My guess is that vast majority of RB owners don't bother switching them off regularly ... I'm not as I never know when my better half might suffer from slight insomnia ...
Generally I disagree with any MKX post, and then I reread it to make sure my first instinct was correct. :-)

After suffering the ill effects of power outages for my Cap ACs, which required a net install to fix. Something about corrupted memory due to power cycling (tech support after viewing supout) convinced me of the fact that power bumps premeditated or not, may not be well handled by mikrotik units.

I think the suggestion to use the system power off route is proper.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:39 pm

i do agree that shutdown is the best way to do it.
But my guess is that more than 90% never does it.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:54 pm

I would question, why shut it down daily at all? If to cut internet, maybe use the "mode" button to enable / disable wan interface?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:02 pm

I know why Sebastia, if the op shuts down power to the mikrotik every night, in about 300,000 years he/she will be able to afford to buy your used Alfa Romeo ;-)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 pm

I seem to remember a fellow forum user who had his router placed in bedroom, possibly less than two feet away from the pillow ... and was after a script to reduce wifi Tx power during night time. So there are innovative reasons for not having router running 24/7 ...

proximus
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Normis has commented on shutdown before ....

"Shutdown command is not required, it is quite safe to just unplug it."
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102453&p=518983&hil ... wn#p518983

"I have never seen a MikroTik router that has had problems because of improper shutdown. I personally never have used this command."
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=98099&p=488448&hil ... wn#p488448

lky
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm

The reason which I'm asking this is that I've had the experience of cutting off the power directly to the router just like that and the next day, the indicator lights on the router didn't work (light up), although the router still functions. I had to factory-reset it to get the indicator lights back up again so I guess I have to be extra careful with this unit, since it seems to be a bit "delicate".

Thanks for the information everyone.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Well that command works for X86 only. The RouterBOARD will just turn on again

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Well that command works for X86 only. The RouterBOARD will just turn on again

Which is "that" command you're referring to, Normis? ROS has both /system reboot as well as /system shutdown and I'd be very annoyed if the later was alias for the former ... not that personally I use the later (and I almost never use the former), but never the less...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:31 pm

yes, it is. the shutdown command on RouterBOARD devices doesn't turn off the device.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 pm

In linux OS, there are 3 different actual terminal actions:
  1. reboot ... does OS shutdown and restarts to BIOS/UEFI/whatever ...
  2. halt ... does OS shutdown and sits there for further action (e.g. push the power button). This was default in times before ACPI and machines had actual power switches in the front instead of soft-touch thingies that are used nowadays
  3. poweroff ... does OS shutdown and performs ACPI power off, which effectively shuts off power of the machine (less wake-on-... part of MoBo)

So which is it that /system shutdown performs? If #2, that's fine as one can cut the power to RB and still consider that storage devices are fine (doesn't help with possible problems caused by inrush currents when power is restored to the device though).

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 pm

yes, it is. the shutdown command on RouterBOARD devices doesn't turn off the device.
It stops it working though, which is almost the same thing.

rbnewfan

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 am

I've got a new device and am now considering to use /system shutdown before I switch cables or places, or just to service/clean the UPS.
So I guess /system -> shutdown is still the better way than just unplug, at least a bit safer anyway. After that, will the device boot up normally after reapplying power? I don't have much "experience" with power cycles with RB devices (used to just unplug the cord til now, once in 10-12 months) but this time I want to do it the proper way to minimize risks even more.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Software/filesystem wise using /system shutdown is the right thing to do. At least there won't be a message about improper shutdown in the log after booting again.
Hardware wise it doesn't matter.

rbnewfan

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks. I know hardware-wise it's all the same (no HDDs, moving parts etc..) but I was a little affraid you know... My older router was decomissioned the other day after I configured my new device, and I shut it down through Winbox. The power LED continued to be lit up so I guess power couldn't be cut off like in ATX machinery nowadays.
I guess after unplugging the wire and then plug it back, it will boot. And I guess there is no way to boot it again otherwise (by not cutting power).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:14 pm

You're right on all accounts.