Community discussions

noobcake
just joined
Topic Author

Total Noob's Guide?

Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:04 pm

Hi all,

Just received my hAP AC 2 today. I have basic networking knowledge but for this let's assume noob except perhaps some terminology. Generally speaking I'm familiar with basics.

Unfortunately, I just can't seem to get internet connectivity. If Chrome is to be believed, then there is no DNS being resolved.

Before I even got the thing I watched several tutorials to familiarise myself, but what's happening is that upon plugging in and entering into webconfig, I set the router to DHCP since my ISP gives out dynamic IPs and then ... nothing. The IP Address fields are all blanked out. The network icon in my taskbar goes from the "connected, no Internet"-yellow-triangle icon to fully connected icon every few minutes but it doesn't actually allow me to ping or connect to the world.

I tried setting my DNS to the one specific to my ISP, but that still doesn't change it.

Something tells me that it has to do with the whole bridge and ether1 relationship, but according to the manual of this router I should be able to connect pretty much immediately to the internet without really changing any finer details. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Please let me know what info (and how) I should provide and what not to provide (since there's always something in the specific IP addresses and what not that isn't needed).

Thanks!

draid
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Total Noob's Guide?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I don't have a great experience with mikrotik but could you please tell us something more about your setup. Is the mikrotik behind another device, how do you normally connect is it PPPoE, etc. You may use the quick setup of the mikrotik which has few options that must work with all basic home setups. Is there a chance that your ISP is using some kind of MAC restrictions?

flynno
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Total Noob's Guide?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 pm

Is the Tik device to be used as a bridge or main router?