MikroTik App

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

New connection added!!solution for load failover

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:56 pm

Hello everyone
we are adding a new connection we have one isp(main) that has provided us some ip subnets and right now with all static routing we are running a small network. But now we want to add a new isp connection. I need recommendations how we can achieve that. I am attaching the network diagram.
1)so far all traffic is going to isp 1 and we have one unmanaged switch that is connected to the mikrotik for isp1
2)now we want to add another miktrotik that is gonna be connected to the isp 2 and and we will add that connection to the unmanaged switch also.
But we just want one site traffic to go towards the isp2 mikrotik atleast for right now we are gonna add that connection directly to the isp2 mikrotik
what we want is if isp1 goes down all traffic destined for the isp1 should start moving towards isp2.
I was thinking I need a script on each mikrotik that is going to make sure if isp1 is down it will move all traffic to isp 2
Is there any other suggestions I know pcc but it need both connections on the same router but we have connections on different router.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New connection added!!solution for load failover

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:48 pm

In higher end routers this is called high availability and its quasi setup already. I am not sure what MT has setup for this very good scenario.
In many cases its called HOT STANDBY.

However you wish to use the Standby Unit for a specific purpose only from the secondary ISP, but still act as backup for the main ISP.
Is that correct??

Conceptually speaking you need router2 to verify on a frequent basis if router1 has internet connectivity.
When router1 loses internet connectivity you need to activate the connection from router 2 to the unmanaged switch.
It sounds very doable.

Again, not knowing the solution space I would say you need:
a. to connect router 1 to router 2 (as an incoming internet connection from Router1).
In this regard you will be able to using recursive routing to determine if the Router1 is functional.

b. to connect router 2 to the unmanaged switch (as the internet feed for the connected MTs)
Some method to activate a route or add port to a bridge or..................................... ????

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:04 pm

Hey

Have a look at https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/VRRP

But
it will not be transparent, as isps will have different ip ranges (so not because of limitations of VRRP). Because of that existing connections will need to be rebuild anew. You'll have redundancy on the level of uplink though.

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks anav for replying
actually the new connection we are adding is for testing so thats why we are gonna send only one towers traffic there and we have a /24 subnet that we are using on our mikrotiks and default gateway for them is this isp 1 router and its all by static routing. I was thinking I need a script on each mikrotik that are connected to the isp1 so that if isp 1 is down they can send traffic to isp2. But not sure if this is the right way to do this.

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Thanks sebastia for replying
is there anyother way we are not at a stage to change the whole network again . Do you think scripts are gonna work ?

tippenring

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:18 am

I have something very similar to this (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Advanced ... _Scripting) working. It seems to work quite well.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:33 am

Just to confirm, you are using ip ranges of the ISP? Or do you have your own bought IP range? Or something else?

Then, what are your requirements from this backup? What do you expect?

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:40 pm

hy sebastia
We have /24 4 subnets from isp1 and we are just getting one ip from the isp2 so as far I know I can use isp1 /24 subnets with the new isp2 also because we paid for it am I right or it does not work that way?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New connection added!!solution for load failover  [SOLVED]

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Is your company an AS (autonomous system) with it's own range of IP's for which you peer with these ISP's? If so, you you can indeed choose to whom you are sending traffic too.

But, I'm guessing you're not, and just renting he use of ISP1 ranges? If yes, then you can't just use ISP1 ips through ISP2 network: these will most likely be filtered on egress route (uplink) and responses will be routed to ISP1 network, not ISP2 you used to send from.

Sebastian

kokaKorina
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:57 pm

Hy sebastian
We are using our /24 subnets which we bought from isp 1 is as our internal ip network with also some private ip's I do not think we are renting these ip addresses.
Now I am thinking of changing AD's for default gateway on sites but that is also not working
I am attaching the topology
65.25.44.0/24 is the subnet from isp1
192.168.198.0/24 we are using in our all backbone routers
both ip addresses are on ether 1 interface.
lets say ether 8 is the isp connections on our isp1 and isp2 router
I have pppoe clients on mikrotik 1 on ether 5 with private and public ip pools
If I put two default gateways from the same subnet as I did in topology is it gonna work
one with AD as 1 and second one as AD 2 So I can forward mikrotik 1 traffic towards our new isp2 with ad as 1
and ad as 2 for the isp1 I am using 65.25.44.113 as local address and remote is the private pool
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:49 pm

your last post looks very much like the first post on this thread. what gives??
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=145078