Community discussions

declanmarks
just joined
Topic Author

VLAN Basics

Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:51 am

I've just bought a Mikrotik HAP AC. I want to setup VLANs. As I gather there are many ways to do vlans, am I correct. But I read that the recommend method for the hap ac is to use the switch chip vlan. If the other methods work aswell please let me no and how to configure it.

How do I create vlans using the switch chip, trunk vlans and do Inter-VLAN routing with the switch chip.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to Mikrotik, I know about VLANs, just not how Mikrotik does them. I have tried to read the wiki but find it hard to find the correct information.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN Basics

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:52 am

How about reading some existing topic?
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Excellent referral mkx! By the way I have asked a couple questions at the end of that thread, which are waiting for your midas touch!

declanmarks
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:26 am

How about reading some existing topic?
I have read the article that you referenced but it didn't really answer my question. I want to use the switch chip for hardware offloading. What I want to know is how do I do Inter-VLAN routing between certain VLANs. I have the HAP ac, so all of this will be done on the same device.

I have read that the HAP ac doesn't have the hardware requirement so will have a performance hit when not using the switch chip for VLAN and inter-vlan routing. Is this true?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:25 am

See
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... p_Features (+examples)

hap ac has very capable switch chip: QCA8337 https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/RB962UiGS-160210082257.png
you can do a lot with vlans in hardware, but through the switch menu, not through bridge

inter vlan routing: that's normal routing, and handled by routing itself.

declanmarks
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:44 am

See
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:S ... p_Features (+examples)

hap ac has very capable switch chip: QCA8337 https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/RB962UiGS-160210082257.png
you can do a lot with vlans in hardware, but through the switch menu, not through bridge

inter vlan routing: that's normal routing, and handled by routing itself.
Could you give me some examples of configuring vlans in switch chip and inter-vlan routing please.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Even if we assume the way you want to 'skin the animal' (have VLANs dealt by in switch chip) ... which 'animal' are you trying to skin?

Or, to rephrase, outline wanted (V)LAN topology (which ether ports are going to be access ports for which VLANs, which ports are going to be trunk ports (and which VLANs are in individual trunks), etc.
BR,
Metod

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Could you give me some examples of configuring vlans in switch chip and inter-vlan routing please.
Have you seen this?

enggheisar
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 am

I've just bought a Mikrotik HAP AC. I want to setup VLANs. As I gather there are many ways to do vlans, am I correct. But I read that the recommend method for the hap ac is to use the switch chip vlan. If the other methods work aswell please let me no and how to configure it.

How do I create vlans using the switch chip, trunk vlans and do Inter-VLAN routing with the switch chip.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am new to Mikrotik, I know about VLANs, just not how Mikrotik does them. I have tried to read the wiki but find it hard to find the correct information.
Create vlan on the interface vlan
if you have one and more than one vlan in each interface, Mikrotik consider that interface as trunk. and you can set the untag traffic in that interface directly
--
Respectfully,
MohammadTayyebi@Gmail.com