Community discussions

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Using mAP as wifi AP with GL750 as router

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:24 am

Hi,

I’m using a mikrotik GL 750 for router, and have just bought a mAP to use as wifi AP. GL750 is connected as 192.168.88.1. I’ve connected the mAP to ether2-master-local. I can’t access the mAP through the wired, which is probably because it is also using 192.168.88.1 as default. If I connect to it through wifi I can log into the webfig panel.

My previous setup I had an old netgear wifi router as AP and ACL for wireless devices (set to 192.168.88.10 for admin purposes) and the GL 750 as router handled the DHCP and ip tables. My idea was to use a similar setup.

However, I’m totally lost as to how to subordinate the mAP to the GL750 so that I can actually log into both in order to set it up. Whenever I tweak something in the mAP I get logged out again and need to reset in order to get in.

Can anyone give me some pointers on the basic settings for the arrangement? If this sounds like a really stupid arrangement and there is a much better way to solve this, I'll appreciate any input on this too.

Best regards
mojoman

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Using mAP as wifi AP with GL750 as router

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:53 am

Reset it to default, no configuration.
Afterwards, you can connect it to the router and configure it (connect to the mAP on MAC address).

Next:
Make a bridge and have all interfaces part of this bridge.
Add a DHCP client (if you want the mAP to have an IP address.
Configure your WiFi interfaces as wanted.

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:31 am

So the mAP have two ethernet, one wlan and one bridge by default. Ethernet2 and the bridge have the same mac-address. Should this be the case?

I've connected mAP ethernet1 to router ether2-master-local (ether1 being the gateway).

I've never used a bridge before so I'm kind of muddling through. I've created a bridge on the router but I don't understand how to connect to the mAP using the mac-address.

Also, when you say I should make all the interfaces part of the bridge, do you literally mean all the interfaces on both devices?

Thanks for helping out, I really appreciate it.

Edit: All of the connections from the router are through bridge now but it has really slowed down the connection.

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:34 pm

• Reset the mAP (option in the menu), select no configuration
  • Login the mAP after it is rebooted
  • Create a bridge
  • Add all interfaces to the bridge
  • Add DHCP client if you want to have the mAP an IP address

So...leave the GL 750 as is, nothing to do there

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the bridge from the GL 750. It’s up and running normally. I reconfigured mAP with no configuarion option. I can add a bridge and add ethernet 1, 2 and vlan to the bridge, as well as add a dhcp client that I add the bridge to. After that I could login in to the IP assigned to the mAP but as soon as I started configuring it (just adding passwords and such) I could not reconnect afterwards. So, I have to reset the mAP.

I’ve tried this lots of times now but still don’t get anywhere. Even if I don’t change anything and just restart mAP I can’t connect.

I’m totally lost here as I see no logic whatsoever in when I can connect and when I can’t.

Any further input is appreciated.

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm

What is extremely cumbersome is that in order to access mAP I need to connect through wifi. I then lose connecticity with my wired (as the IP seem to conflict). This means that every time I fiddle around it takes a lot of time to connect and disconnect. If I could get the mAP connected stable through the wired so that I can access it via my wired internet I could try som options.

Also, there are a number of quick settings available; basic AP, home AP, WISP AP, CAP, CPE, PTP bridge AP & CPE. This has been set to WISP AP.

Mode now is set to bridge (the alternative being router).

I’ve googled around too without finding anything to clear this up so any tips on documentation or manuals is appreciated.

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 am

What version are you running on the mAP?
Please don't use the quicksettings...just don't.

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

mAP is running 6.42.10.

I haven't used the quick settings, mostly because I feel I don't understand what they do.

What I've done now is to connect the mAP directly to Internet, using standard configuration. I've just updated pwd and added wifi security. This gives me a stable access Internet and the mAP to configure it properly. I'm hoping to get everything set, and then just connect it to the GL750.

mojoman
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Making some headway.

GL750 is running stable. mAP is now connected to GL750 with wifi up and running. I've set pwd and wifi security.

I can access GL750 via webfig through 192.168.88.1 (which is what I normally do) but I can't access mAP through webfig as I don't know the internal IP. Every time I've set it static I get locked out. However, I can access it through mac address using winbox but as I'm on linux I'd prefer not using wine. Of course, logging in with winbox gives med the IP, and once I know that I can access it using webfig. Still, I'd prefer to have the mAP on a static IP but at least all is up and running now.

@erlinden, I really appreciate your input on this.

Regards
mojoman

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:45 am

You are very wellcome, glad to hear about your progress.

I prefer to use DHCP reservation, this will give you static IP addresses as well.