Community discussions

RodrigoBrito
just joined
Topic Author

NAT problems - Xbox One and Nintendo Switch

Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Good morning everyone.

I do not understand NOTHING of Mikrotik and I am looking for help about a specific situation where I did not find help on the internet. I apologize for the lack of technical terms.

The situation is as follows: I live in a condominium and hired a company to do the following installation: we signed 4 internet links 100/30 MB, which "enter" the Mikrotik (model RouterBOARD 750G r3) at the concierge, and a cable "exits" Mikrotik, going to a switch right there at the gate. This switch, sends 4 or 5 network cables to the condominium posts, and we have another 4 or 5 switches on the poles, from which network cables go straight to the houses. Inside the house, I use a router (TP-LINK TL-WR849N) where it is necessary to put a user and password to authenticate.

Regarding usage, everything works very well: navigation, downloads, streaming, apps and etc, all in a satisfactory way.

The only drawback would be in relation to video games, more specifically online games:

- PS4: downloads are ok, rare connection errors with other users and allows online game in a satisfactory way;

- Xbox One: downloads ok, some connection errors, and shows the NAT as "strict", in addition to "double NAT detected"

- Nintendo Switch: here is the main problem ... downloads are ok, but it is practically impossible to play online ... I mention Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as an example. The game establishes a connection, but in match search it returns an error: "Could not connect to other consoles. There was a transverse NAT error."

I am absolutely sure that the errors occur due to our internet "scheme", since before, when each resident had his own ADSL internet, none of this happened.

Anyway, I strongly encourage you all to help me solve this problem, and I will asap provide any clarification. Thank you.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: NAT problems - Xbox One and Nintendo Switch

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 pm

If you have hired a company to do the installation, then surely they must correct the problem / design of the network?

Alternatively, my suggestion will be to hire a Mikrotik Certified Consultant in your area. https://mikrotik.com/consultants
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Concur, the company should provide the design solution assuming you have detailed the user requirements properly.
This also assumes they purchased the mikrotik equipment. If not then CZFans idea is the correct one.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

victorsoares
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:23 pm

Well, from my experience the only sure way to get videogames to work without any NAT problems is using IPv6 or giving the client a valid and public IP address. My guess is that whoever designed this network used NAT to distribute the connections but forgot that the connections also arrive there on a CGNAT. Call the company that did the service and tell them to check for double NAT on your network. Maybe a call to your ISP`s can solve the issue too, but they will need to work together with the people that did the internal network.
MTCNA MTCRE

RodrigoBrito
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:46 pm

If you have hired a company to do the installation, then surely they must correct the problem / design of the network?

Alternatively, my suggestion will be to hire a Mikrotik Certified Consultant in your area. https://mikrotik.com/consultants
Well, from my experience the only sure way to get videogames to work without any NAT problems is using IPv6 or giving the client a valid and public IP address. My guess is that whoever designed this network used NAT to distribute the connections but forgot that the connections also arrive there on a CGNAT. Call the company that did the service and tell them to check for double NAT on your network. Maybe a call to your ISP`s can solve the issue too, but they will need to work together with the people that did the internal network.

Thanks. The installation was made by a ex employer of the ISP.

I will try this first. If not works, the solution may be hire a consultant.

HzMeister
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 pm

The tplink router might be the second nat. If they didn't configure the rb750gr3 in a way that would prevent it, you could just use that as your router and use the tplink as a switch+ap.
Unplug the wire going into the WAN port of the tplink and plug into into any LAN port.Then you must be sure that the dhcp server is disabled in the router's settings for there to not be conflicts with the mikrotik.

RodrigoBrito
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:16 pm

The tplink router might be the second nat. If they didn't configure the rb750gr3 in a way that would prevent it, you could just use that as your router and use the tplink as a switch+ap.
Unplug the wire going into the WAN port of the tplink and plug into into any LAN port.Then you must be sure that the dhcp server is disabled in the router's settings for there to not be conflicts with the mikrotik.
Thanks, I will give a try...

basically, i must:

1. put the wire into any LAN port
2. acess the TPLINK page
3. Disable dhcp server

that´s it?

I have some questions...
1. how the tplink router will handle with the login/pass from the mikrotik settings?
2. Do I have to change the router's operation mode?

sorry but I have really basic knowledge about network settings

thanks

RodrigoBrito
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Victor I live near Ubatuba...

can you send me your email so we can talk?

thanks

RodrigoBrito
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:15 am

it does not work :(

thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 am

Hey Rodrigo,
This is a decent guide for adjusting the TP link.
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

What I am not clear on is the logging in part of your users.
Do you mean to use the Access Point (radio part) of the TP links (ssid and password)?
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)