MikroTik App

john231
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mobile devices unusable

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:37 am

Hello,

So i put together a setup in my country house to have a proper internet connection (no ISP provides cables here).
So i put together a setup involving:
  • 1 x SXT LTE
    2 x HAP ac lite
    2 x RB260GSP Switches
The network topology is as follows:

Switch A -> 1 port -> SXT LTE
Switch A -> 2 port -> Switch B
Switch A -> 3 port -> HAP ac lite (A)

Switch B -> 1 port -> Switch A
Switch B -> 2 port -> HAP ac lite (B)

SXT is the main router providing DHCP for the whole network. Every device is in the same ip range.

So what is the problem is the problem is that when you browse something on the web with a mobile phone or tablet it just hangs. Pages wont load etc. Then all of a sudden pages start to load and then freeze up again. Laptops do not show this problem.

Now very weird is that both AP's cannot ping 8.8.8.8, it will show a timeout.
ping www.google.com will show, could not get answer from dns server.

AP's are both on Router OS version 6.43.12, also is the SXT.

Please i don't understand the AP's setup is so basic that i don't understand how it's not working.
SXT is on a factory default setup.

Also SXT RSRP is -60dB. Ping from SXT to 8.8.8.8 or google.com works like a charm.

I have attached my config files as well.

PS: For this thread purposes i have changed the name of SSID and PW and AP names on the config files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john231
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Mobile devices unusable  [SOLVED]

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Finally found the solution.

The switch will boot up with a default configuration with dhcp or fallback to static ip address of 192.168.88.1. Now SXT needs power and it gets the power via PoE from the switch that on boot up tries to get a ip address from a dhcp server but the SXT that has a DHCP server isn't booted up yet. The SXT will boot up with a ip-address of 192.168.88.1. Now you will have 2 devices on your network with the same ip-address of 192.168.88.1. One is the switch and one is the SXT router. If you set the default fallback address for the switch to 192.168.88.2 then everything will work fine, if you don't have a dhcp range on the server that includes that (192.168.88.2) address.

TLDR: Set switch default fallback ip address to something other than 192.168.88.1 for example 192.168.88.2.

john231
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Mobile devices unusable

Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:32 pm

If anyone can explain why PCs and Macs were not affected by this it would be a very good read!

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mobile devices unusable

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 am

Probably because they are connected to second switch, they link are still up and that they dhcp expiration leases still not work and they not try refresh dhcp information.