Community discussions

MikroTik App

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can Mikrotik / RouterOS do multiple PPPOE trough same WAN cable ?

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:36 am

Hello.
I have 3 different PPPOE accounts from my ISP ..

ISP gave me one fiber modem (now set as a bridge), I get ONE Ethernet cable out of it ...
Normally I would plug that to a basic switch and connect 3 computers to it.
Each computer would need to have its own PPPOE account set in windows or Linux or whatever on OS on computer.

Can a Mikrotik router/switch do all these 3 PPPOE connections by itself and then forward the connection to each individual computer ? I think this is a vlan that I need ?!
So that my computers will not need to set the PPPOE credentials anymore, but each individual computer just receive its own internet connection from the Mikortik.

Is it a certain function I should look for ? Because I don't know what device to buy.
Thank you.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Can Mikrotik / RouterOS do multiple PPPOE trough same WAN cable ?

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:07 pm

that's an interesting case. Yes I believe you can have 3 x PPPoE running on the Mikrotik and load-balancing them .
you don't need VLAN.
hardware selection depends on the uplink speed but most Mikrotik routers come with the same router OS, same feature, so even the basic model will do ospf, BGP, VLAN etc. etc. It just won't do it as well as the Cloud Core routers.
typical Home , small office can do with a hAP AC

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 pm

So Cloud Core are above average speed ?
I am not very familiar with the products, I find so many models confusing.

On each individual pppoe account limit set at ISP is:
The downlink is 1000mbps
The uplink is 500mbps

But the optic fiber modem (bridge) from them is also limited to 1000mbps from what I know (so no 3x 1000mbps at once :) )

Do I need a fast Mikrotik for this^ ?

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:49 pm

very lucky man to have 3 x 1Gbps fibre. Contact your ISP and see if they allow you to remove the modem and just use the Mikrotik. and if yes, what SFP module they would recommend (muti-mode, or single mode). So the fibre feed can go straight into the Mikrotik. It's likely you can do this as you already know the PPPoE details.

as for product selection, you can layout your requirements first,
SFP cage / Ethernet port
Gbps LAN ports
WiFi (?)
what the router will have to do apart from the basic PPPoE clients and Loadbalancing (QoS ? VPN? IPSec ? L7 filter etc.)

I'd think a MT4011 or a basic Cloud Core will do. but use your requirement to narrow down to few routers and check the test page on each product.
for example, the Cloud Core Router 1009 gives you
Ethernet test results

CCR1009-7G-1C-PC Tile 9 core all port test with combo-port

Mode Configuration 1518 byte 512 byte 64 byte
kpps Mbps kpps Mbps kpps Mbps
Bridging none (fast path) 652.8 7,927.6 1,931.2 7,910.2 14,874.0 7,615.5
Bridging 25 bridge filter rules 649.6 7,888.7 1,183.8 4,848.8 1,184.0 606.2
Routing none (fast path) 652.8 7,927.6 1,931.2 7,910.2 14,581.0 7,465.5
Routing 25 simple queues 652.8 7,927.6 1,686.0 7,175.6 1,699.6 1,142.1
Routing 25 ip filter rules 615.8 7,478.3 660.9 2,812.8 668.3 449.1

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1009-7G ... estresults

It has a combo port (combining ethernet and fibre) so this allows you to attempt to use both type as uplink.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Thanks for the details. I will try to list my requirements...

It would be great if ISP would allow me to replace their device, but people that tried it were not successful.
However, my same PPPOE connection(s) works from various locations in the country, where I am behind different devices of same ISP.
So I am thinking I could do it if Mikrotik allows me to specify my own mac (clone current mac) of the SPF fiber connection ? Can Mikrotik/Router OS do that ?

- fiber cage
- as features: just basic pppoe connection that gets forwarded to my individual computers
- being able to also link computers between them locally, e.g one computer loads/mounts storage from another one that is next to it but on different pppoe connection.
- can't think of any other critical features I need
- no wifi would be a plus actually
- 1u rack form factor would also be nice
- price, I was hoping under $250 but I see many are over that

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:40 pm

Can Mikrotik/Router OS do that ?
Yes

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:13 pm

I ordered a MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM because it has 10 gigabit ports, faster cpu, a fsp port. It was around $190 :?
It has some space inside, I might end up placing my ISP fiber modem inside the Mikrotik box if it fits :)
Because my ISP said today they would still not allow me to change their fiber device.

I found a topic where someone de-soldered chips from their ISP modem and soldered them to a Mikrotk, so it would trick the ISP :)

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Glad it's moving forward.
Note you DIY trick would void warranty on both the ISP modem and the Mikrotik.
is getting another 2 x modem from the ISP possible? because you do have another 2 account and it should come with a modem.
Even not, I'd suggest you try to connect to their firbre first and see where it takes you. We had cases where we were able to connect incoming fibre straight into the Mikrotik without ISP termination equipment (ADVA fibre switch), against the word of their technical support of-course.

in any case, let us know how you get on

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Just so you know, one fiber is not going to be enough for 3x 1Gbps connections, because most OLT`s are 2,5Gbps (2,35Gbps + headers) per PON maximum. Just make sure you confirm that information with your ISP before expending money on an equipment that is not going to give you the end result that you expect. Anyway, if the ISP sells that kind of plan I think they have a more powerful equipment anyway.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Solar77, I guess I will try a fiber module in that cage and cloning the ISP device’s mac, probably a 50/50 chance :D

Victorsoares, are you from Romania too ?
The ISP modem/ont might actually be limited to 1Gbps but it might still work for me if any of the 3 pppoe connectrions can reach that as max and will probably not be all at full capacity for now.
Plus ... :D :D this is a business account but I have another home fiber next to it (very similar ONT), so two fiber cables in the house (probably 2x 1Gbps or more) and I seen it doesn’t care if I switch accounts between them.

Hmmm .... maybe they trick me to stick to their ~1Gbps ONT just to avoid making a 3Gbps network load with the 3 pppoe accounts.

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:17 pm

I'm from Brazil actually. The thing is that being that all connections go to the same place, it doesn't matter how many fibers you have there if they come from the same PON port on their OLT, because that port will only deliver 2,5Gbps to all clients on it. Now if you don't plan on using the full capacity of the links that is not an issue.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Name sounded similar to Romanian, that is why I asked :P

So ... not sure if we say the same thing but I am ok with current setup... just to clarify ... I don't think they have limits at their end besides per ppoe account and modem/gpon limitation.
Using both modems with different accounts should allow 2x1Gbps each but I don't really need that.
Actually I think device has that common 1250Mbps limit, because it has 1x1Gbps port and 1x100mbps port, that makes sense.

Edit: I think the OLT at their end can do 10Gbps or so.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm

I was about to start another topic, but this already has the right title ...
So using MikroTik RB3011UiAS-RM and RouterOS v6.42.10 , I want to create these 3 ppoe accounts, I am half way there ...

In router port 1 I plugged my ISPs ethernet cable (comes from a fiber device/bridge but is not that important).
In router port 2 and 3 I plugged 2 computers

I clicked to "add ... pppoe client" and I added 2 pppoe accounts, and as interface I selected "interface 1" where my ISP cable is plugged.

Both pppoe connected correctly (I can also see the 2 different public IP they use), internet works on the 2 computers plugged in port 2 and 3;
From what I can tell, the router made a bridge in order to get internet from the pppoe port (not sure about this part) and I see connection one is used by default.

But how do I tell the router to give one computer/cable one pppoe connection and the other computer/cable the other pppoe connection ?
Do I create a "bridge" ? I am new to this and I was expecting to see a simple "bridge interface x with interface y" but from what I see "add bridge" has different options.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm

the bridge is created by the router on default. it's normally the LAN ports all joined under this bridge.

now you have 2 x PPPoE session, what you need is load-balancing. it's been discussed often on the forum. and there is a document you can read first to get the idea
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Load_Balancing

based on your description, you probably want policy based load-balancing. which means PC 1 with IP 1, goes to PPPoe-out 1, etc etc.
and this is a similar example
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:L ... bnet_links

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

I will try more but no progress yet, the steps in the two pages seem more than necessary.
Isn't it supposed to work just by creating some firewall rules ? e.g forward public ip X to lan ip Y (for each pppoe account) and then maybe another rule in a reverse direction ?
Because load balancing by definition seems more than what I need now, I just need to separate them in a fixed way.

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Isn't it supposed to work just by creating some firewall rules ?
Not really, you need NAT rule and routing rule.
Because load balancing by definition seems more than what I need now, I just need to separate them in a fixed way.
Its the type of load balancing where part of your network uses one connection and another part uses 2nd connection, in a fixed way.

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

But how do I tell the router to give one computer/cable one pppoe connection and the other computer/cable the other pppoe connection ?
It depends a lot on what you're trying to achieve. You could do load-balacing - but in your case I don't think it would help. I mean you're using the same provider,setup etc.
If you want them totally separate you could do vrf, else nat and mangle would suffice - no bridge. Take a look at the links from solar, and skip the load-balacing part.

p.s. I'm also from RO :)

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi Tangram :mrgreen:

// Do you know if the VRF function is the same I can see under "ROUTING > BGP > VRF" tab ? So that I know what functions to experiment with ...
Last edited by adrianTNT on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:28 pm

I was able to do it, now it is relatively simple after you do it a few times.

Basically I need to
- add "mangle / marking rules" on connections coming from each of my local computers,
- under "routes" select the ISP pppoe account / interface to use based on the markings set in previous step.

Last edited by adrianTNT on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flaviojunior
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:26 pm

I was able to do it, now it is relatively simple after you do it a few times.
I will setup some images and post details soon (maybe others need the same setup).

Basically I need to
- add "mangle / marking rules" on connections coming from each of my local computers,
- under "routes" select the ISP pppoe account / interface to use based on the markings set in previous step.
It's a best practice I don't know if you did it,
First mark connection in Mangle Like
/ip firewall mangle add chain=forward src-address=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=con_PC1 passthrough=yes

After Mark Connection, use the connection mark to create a Routing Mark
/ip firewall mangle add chain=forward connection-mark=PC1 action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=rou_PC1 passthrough=no

It will use less resources of the router. :D

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:01 pm

@flaviojunior I did it by router mark mangle and then set "routes" based on that.
I added a large image above.
If you understand what I did maybe you can tell me if I can improve or simplify anything.
On last step I made each computer be a server on separate ISP connection, and was much easier than the rest.

flaviojunior
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm

@flaviojunior I did it by router mark mangle and then set "routes" based on that.
I added a large image above.
If you understand what I did maybe you can tell me if I can improve or simplify anything.
On last step I made each computer be a server on separate ISP connection, and was much easier than the rest.
Yes I see what you did, You mark direct the route but it's better to create a connection-mark first. And when you create the routing-mark it's good to uncheck the passthough because for the same package the firewall you check all the rules even if it's the last one that he need to check

So It's better to do like that:
/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting src-address=192.168.1.16 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=con_mypppoe-1 passthrough=yes
/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting connection-mark=con_mypppoe-1 action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=mypppoe-1 passthrough=no

/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting src-address=192.168.1.20 action=mark-connection new-connection-mark=con_mypppoe-2 passthrough=yes
/ip firewall mangle add chain=prerouting connection-mark=con_mypppoe-2 action=mark-routing new-routing-mark=mypppoe-2 passthrough=no

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 pm

OK, I will try that, but I found a bigger problem...
With current setup (above), I cannot seem to ping between the hosts, do you see anything that needs editing related to this ?
Also, not sure if is related or not, on a quick test I seen I can reach my.host.name from internet but not from local computers. When my.host.name is one of the local computers.
Thank you.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:43 pm

I modified the mangle so the rules would not match local IPs, and now I can also ping the computers locally between each other.
Does this look ok ? Anyone ? :?

SwaggerRO
just joined

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:24 pm

Hey there!

I have the same setup but I encounter some issues after adding Mangle rules as you added.

I mean the connection goes ok, but the speed it's very very slow, it almost doesn't load up a page (google.ro, google.com).

Same ISP (RDS) with 2 PPPoE Accounts, 1 with dynamic IP Address and 1 with static IP Address.

Any hints? I have RB3011UiAS

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:47 pm

For starters disable fasttrack rule in firewall filter rules. If it helps, then you'll have to change that rule to skip mangled packets ...

SwaggerRO
just joined

Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 pm

@mkx thanks for help, it works now.

I dropped my RB3011UiAS, it had some issues with LAN ports and I'm sending it on warranty.

I'm using an heX S, same thing for me, it works just perfect.

So now how can I enable the FastTrack rule?

cyadron
just joined

Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:47 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with the slowdown when the fasttrack rule is active.
I have two PPPoE accounts that I use on the hEX MikroTik for two separate servers.
In order to make it work I have to apply the settings from above (marking).
So I have to disable the fasttrack rule in order to not experience the slow loading.
Is there a method to also keep the fasttrack rule?