MikroTik App

halacs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Radus server in my Mikrotik router

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Hi,

I have two Mikrotik router and a DD-WRT too.

Would it be possible to use one of them as a radius server for the WiFi authentication at least? I have WPA2-PSK with MAC filtering. It would be nice to configure WiFi users only one place and other APs use that central authentication device. Radius looks promising but don't know how to configure it properly.

Dealing with admin users on Mikrotik routers similarly would be a plus.

Thanks in advance!

joegoldman
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Radus server in my Mikrotik router

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:35 pm

You can use userman as a built in Radius sever, however its generally more for Hotspot usage, if your looking for 802.1x auth it might not work for that. Im not sure.

halacs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:55 am

It is part of the extra packages, right? I have downloaded these files but how to install?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm

It is part of the extra packages, right? I have downloaded these files but how to install?
No idea, but there are probably plenty of docs and videos you could use google to search for!!
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Take needed .npk files out of ZIP archive and push them to root folder of files section (either scp, ftp or winbox files can do it). Reboot device afterwards and the packages should get installed. If they don't, /log print should say something about it ... if it doesn't, then .npk files ended in a wrong place.
BR,
Metod

AminYounessi
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:02 am

Hi,

I have two Mikrotik router and a DD-WRT too.

Would it be possible to use one of them as a radius server for the WiFi authentication at least? I have WPA2-PSK with MAC filtering. It would be nice to configure WiFi users only one place and other APs use that central authentication device. Radius looks promising but don't know how to configure it properly.

Dealing with admin users on Mikrotik routers similarly would be a plus.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,

You need to download the .zip file(Extra package from https://mikrotik.com/download ) of your routerboard routerOS then extract it and find the "user-manager" package from there, After that you need to upload "user-manager" package in the root of your routerboard then reboot your router and when your router comes up again check the packages from system/package path and if you see the user-manager package installed there it means your router can act as a AAA server. you can configure your user-manager by command line or you can use the web browser with this address:
http://your_router_ip_address/userman

halacs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks all the help. Now it works. I made a stupid mistake first why the package wasn't installed after reboot: forget to check the architecture.
Now I have a working radius server tested with MAC authentication on my WiFi. Next step would be to configure it with a DD-WRT WiFi AP too.