Community discussions

MikroTik App

megaman
just joined
Topic Author

need basic understanding

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:24 am

I found one feature that i really like to use that's in router os but not on my Basic Router (tplink router)
what i just want to use multiple dial out PPPoE clients
so basically i want to use Router Os as a router instead of my actual tplink router .? how to do that
can i bridge the internet from the tplink router to router os so that router os became the router now ? is it possible ?

AminYounessi
Trainer
Trainer

Re: need basic understanding

Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:26 am

Hi,

You can use the MLPPP protocol if you have multiple pppoe link but please check the link below:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:M ... iple_links

megaman
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:05 am

Hi,

You can use the MLPPP protocol if you have multiple pppoe link but please check the link below:

my question is can i use Router OS instead of my actual router by connecting it with the router ? without having network card ?

AminYounessi
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:51 am

Hi,

my question is can i use Router OS instead of my actual router by connecting it with the router ? without having network card ?

Without having network card? what do you mean?
You have a dsl link for example, so your MikroTik devices does not need to support RJ11 port, so you need to use your TPlink or other modem/router devices to convert the analogue signal to digital then you can connect your router to your MikroTik router, The point is you can configure your TPlink as a bridge mode then you can configure your mikrotik as a pppoe-client.

Hope i undrestand your problem, If this is not your answer please let me know.

Best Regards,

megaman
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,

Without having network card? what do you mean?
You have a dsl link for example, so your MikroTik devices does not need to support RJ11 port, so you need to use your TPlink or other modem/router devices to convert the analogue signal to digital then you can connect your router to your MikroTik router, The point is you can configure your TPlink as a bridge mode then you can configure your mikrotik as a pppoe-client.

Hope i undrestand your problem, If this is not your answer please let me know.

Best Regards,
Im sorry that i didn't start my post in simple way since i really don't know anything about Router OS ..(i dont have mikrotik router) i have tp link router
i know its operating system that can be installed on pc and pc act as a router , but i don't know how to setup it ?in fact i need to know how it actually work ? does it connect directly to the router or what ? does it needs network card ?!

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi megaman

RouterOS can be installed in a X86 PC. The PC should have at least 1 network card so the software can be "usable". If you have a tplink router, you can bridge it (for example if it is a vdsl router) and connect a RouterOS behind it to to the PPPoE client and routing. I would recommend a RouterBOARD instead in your case. A RouterBOARD is a device that has 2+ network cards and RouterOS already installed in it. You can connect it behind the tplink router (if you use vdsl, adsl, etc) or directly to your internet line.

Send more info on what is the way you get the internet connection, and we will be able to help you more.

Regards

megaman
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:52 am

Hi megaman

RouterOS can be installed in a X86 PC. The PC should have at least 1 network card so the software can be "usable". If you have a tplink router, you can bridge it (for example if it is a vdsl router) and connect a RouterOS behind it to to the PPPoE client and routing. I would recommend a RouterBOARD instead in your case. A RouterBOARD is a device that has 2+ network cards and RouterOS already installed in it. You can connect it behind the tplink router (if you use vdsl, adsl, etc) or directly to your internet line.

Send more info on what is the way you get the internet connection, and we will be able to help you more.

Regards
thank you for this excellent answer, I'm looking for the most affordable way possible , since I'm mainly interested only about this feature "MLPPP over multiple links" support
I don't think my tplink router is vdsl , but i see that it support bridging, might work with this ? if not how much would a network card cost me ? I'm regular home user.
or maybe you know good ADSL router that does support Making multiple connections and combine them.

flaviojunior
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Hi megaman

Regards
thank you for this excellent answer, I'm looking for the most affordable way possible , since I'm mainly interested only about this feature "MLPPP over multiple links" support
I don't think my tplink router is vdsl , but i see that it support bridging, might work with this ? if not how much would a network card cost me ? I'm regular home user.
or maybe you know good ADSL router that does support Making multiple connections and combine them.
Hi, about how I understand what you mean, you want a good router and cheaper one, here is a link of Mikrotik Home Routers
https://mikrotik.com/products/group/wir ... and-office
All Mikrotik Routers run the same Operation System that is RouterOS, it's a super flexible system that you can do a lot of thinks like put 2 dsl on it and balance then, firewall, limit users... Find the one that fits you and We can help you with the configurations
:D

Sent from my Vivo XI+ using Tapatalk

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Megaman, I am trying something very similar now (3 pppoe connections in same Mikrotik router), it can get a bit complicated for beginner like us :/
Here is an image (attached) if you want to have a look, I want to help but I am afraid it would only make it look more complicated.
As a general ideea, I did it by
- adding 3 connections by "interfaces > add > pppoe client"
- added masquerade NAT rules (not fully understand them),
- mangle rules to mark connections coming from local computers,
- added "routes" to asign each pppoe connection to each computer based on the mangle/marked connections in previous step.

I don't know if setup is correct but that is as far as I got.

http://jpgbox.com/jpg/56596_900x1800.jpg