Community discussions

MikroTik App

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Any way to scan for *anything* on the LAN?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:08 pm

It is easy to scan for anything on the same subnet, but is there any way to see if there is *any* lan device connected to the interface? I am generally thinking about small LAN environments, where I sometimes can have weird or rogue devices for which it would be nice to know they exist.

Van9018
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Any way to scan for *anything* on the LAN?  [SOLVED]

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 am

The link local status will tell you if something is physically connected. If that device tries to communicate, it must have atleast a MAC address and the Mikrotik will record that mac in it's arp tables. You can look up this table in Switch > FDB I think. Entries in arp-tables last for about 10 minutes, or until the link is physically disconnected.

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Any way to scan for *anything* on the LAN?

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks. Maybe it is a stupid Q, but is there a way to do the same on normal Mac ethernet port (in macOS)?

Other soltuion is to cary a small ROS device with me to check - are there any battery powered?

flaviojunior
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:15 pm

Thanks. Maybe it is a stupid Q, but is there a way to do the same on normal Mac ethernet port (in macOS)?

Other soltuion is to cary a small ROS device with me to check - are there any battery powered?
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAPL-2nD
https://mikrotik.com/product/RBmAP2nD

This two devices consume less energy and could be powerd by USB, so you can use a power bank to turn then on.

:D

mrmut
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:07 pm

I am truly amazed by MikroTik. These two are fantastic devices!
Thanks!

OT;
The other day I was thinking about MikroTik approach, and it was always interesting to me that their devices are white, in comparison to generally black for all other. The other thing is the ease with which one can learn to use the devices. So I actually think that MikroTik guys wanted to say that MikroTik is not a "black box", because it is - a white box. Literally. :-)