Community discussions

thomasf0rrd
just joined
Topic Author

What is the best outdoor wireless access point

Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:59 am

Hello Everyone,

I am fairly new to Mikrotik devices and would like to find out which is the best dual-band outdoor all-weather wireless access point that I can use to give wireless connectivity to wireless users in my network. I would like the device that supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet connectivity, outdoor mounting.

Users are in shipping container-fabricated office/housing units and some of them have old devices and I want something that can distribute the signal through these container walls. The office/housing units are two meters apart from each other with other units sitting on top of each other.

I have browsed the Mikrotik's online product catalog but so far I have not yet found one yet that meets these requirements.

Your kind suggestions are highly appreciated.
Brgds.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is the best outdoor wireless access point

Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:25 pm

... and I want something that can distribute the signal through these container walls.
Sounds like you are trying to fight the laws of physics. You'd better consider putting an inexpensive AP in each container.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:31 pm

I want something that can distribute the signal through these container walls.
Forget about that!
As andriys says, install something like cAP AC inside each container.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Perhaps think outside the container. :-)
(1) WAN or MultiWAN input to main Router
(2) Router ethernet too Outdoor Multipoint Omni TX device of some sort (in close proximity LOS) to containers.
(3) Each Container equipped with a receiving antenna (to ethernet cable built-in) to AP inside container with wifi and ethernet ports.
(4) Ground where possible and use surge/lighting protectors (last MUM indicateds MT is tired of people using the ubiquiti ones LOL)
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:34 am

(2) Router ethernet too Outdoor Multipoint Omni TX device of some sort (in close proximity LOS) to containers.
(3) Each Container equipped with a receiving antenna (to ethernet cable built-in) to AP inside container with wifi and ethernet ports.
(4) Ground where possible and use surge/lighting protectors (last MUM indicateds MT is tired of people using the ubiquiti ones LOL)
WISP then? :lol:
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:51 pm

WISP then? :lol:
Say it loud and say it proud! Like a campsite.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

thomasf0rrd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:24 pm

... and I want something that can distribute the signal through these container walls.
Sounds like you are trying to fight the laws of physics. You'd better consider putting an inexpensive AP in each container.
Apologies for not acknowledging soon, sounds good, but that introduces another challenge, the number of containers involved is quite high - 72 units, with half the number stacked on top of the rest, and still expecting another 24 units. Do you recon these will have a lot of interference between themselves?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:29 pm

No, that is where the container walls will help you!
The APs will barely see eachother between the containers, especially when you mount them near the middle (not near the door).

thomasf0rrd
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:53 pm

No, that is where the container walls will help you!
The APs will barely see eachother between the containers, especially when you mount them near the middle (not near the door).
Sounds good!

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Each container will work as it's own faraday cage, blocking all (or most of the) outside signals - which is ideal. Also for such short range, make sure you don't over-do it with tx power (you want to just fill the container, but not to be heard far outside). Frequencies can then be reused easily.
For connected containers, it might be possible to use single AP with multiple radios and wire the antennas to the different containers. However cAP is just so cheap it's probably not worth it, unless you already have some of this gear laying around you can use "for free".