Community discussions

MikroTik App

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

How to remove the static switch from this setup ?

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:13 pm

I have the setup from the image, one utp cable from ISP, split by a static switch, one to Mikrotik and one to a home router.
I want to remove that static switch, but the setup to remain the same, so the home router will still have a direct line to ISP.
How can I do that in Mikrotik settings ? Now it has a bridge for all ports 2-10 and I think that prevents me from just plugging the home router to one of these ports.
The reason I want it just like before (like in image) is because the home router should make it's own pppoe connection to ISP and I want it to be more stable and separated from the other Mikrotik routes.
If it is not something very simple I will just leave it as it is :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to remove the static switch from this setup ?

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:15 pm

My recommendation would be to ditch the switch and the home router LOL.

Wild assed guess:
Sounds like a case for a second bridge that ties the eth1 port on the MT and lets say eth2 as well which goes to home router.
Not sure if one would need to create a vlan to glue that together (bridge is probably enough).

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:33 pm

The home router would need to go few rooms away from the MikroTik, then I plug TV and others to that router, so I that I only drag one cable from MikroTik to the other room(s); and my home network setup would be separate from the MikroTik and some servers.
Edit: with so many security problems in the home routers, android tv, etc, I don't want that very close to the servers :)

Something what you said, probably another bridge but I am not sure what is the right way.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:43 pm

The home router would need to go few rooms away from the MikroTik, then I plug TV and others to that router, so I that I only drag one cable from MikroTik to the other room(s); and my home network setup would be separate from the MikroTik and some servers.
Edit: with so many security problems in the home routers, android tv, etc, I don't want that very close to the servers :)

Something what you said, probably another bridge but I am not sure what is the right way.
We are not all that different LOL.
I solve those issues with one router and VLANS and a managed switch.
For example in my house I have the RB450gx4 connected on one port to a 24port dlink managed switch (which then connects to a MT 260GS switch at one location, one of my CAPACs at another location and a netgear GS110 switch at another location) and to unmanaged switches at other locations.
The purpose is to ensure house traffic is separated from media/streaming devices, gaming devices, smart devices, video surveillance hub, problem child computer user(s), and guest wifi.

All to say, is you only need your MT router and in the other room a managed switch (unless that router was also providing wifi, in which case just use it as an AP/switch).

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Some complicated setup you have there :)

Home router will work as wifi too, I tried it as access point too but this particular (Netis) router caused some problems (slowing down network, ping timeouts, etc);
So I prefer to just use it separately, but it needs to get the main cable signal to/from ISP like it was in the image.

I will make some experiments unless someone knows the exact way to do it. Just because I would get it to work doesn't mean I did it properly :)

csalcedo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:03 pm

mtik.jpg
connect isp utp directly to Mikrotik ether1
connect your home router to etherXX (any open port)
create a new bridge
make ether1 and etherXX part of that bridge.
Done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nostromog
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:08 pm

connect isp utp directly to Mikrotik ether1
connect your home router to etherXX (any open port)
create a new bridge
make ether1 and etherXX part of that bridge.
Done
You will also have to substitute the new bridge name in the WAN interface list, and anywhere else that ether1 appears.
For instance, if you ISP connection is a pppoe tunnel, in ist "interface=", or in the interface of its dhcp-client if it is dhcp straight
on ether1...

csalcedo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Correct... hard to give the full answer when we dont have a config...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 pm

Let's say you want to use port ether2 on your main mikrotik to connect home router. You need to create new bridge with ports ether1 and ether2 ... and configure WAN interface on main mikrotik on the new bridge instead of ether1.

Steps would include:
  1. remove ether2 from current bridge
  2. create new bridge (let's call it bridge-wan)
  3. remove ether2 from interface list LAN
  4. add ether2 and bridge-wan to interface list WAN
  5. add ether1 and ether2 to the new bridge, make sure you set hw=no on those two ports (this will allow full speed switching between LAN ports)
  6. move internet setup from ether1 to "interface" bridge-wan
  7. review firewall rules ... both filter and NAT. If any of them refer to in-interface=ether1 or out-interface=ether1, change them to refer to in-interface-list=WAN or out-interface-list=WAN respectively
  8. plug home router to ether2, plug ISP ethernet cable to ether1

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Firstly, If not on a tight budget, replace the ornery netis device with a hapac2!! ( Please note I was not given free MT swag to make that endorsement ;-)
Secondly, If you are on a tight budget and are paying for extra WANIPs, my suggestion may actually save money LOL.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks, I will try what csalcedo and mkx said

... If not on a tight budget, replace the ornery netis device with a hapac2 ...

I had a look at it and it looks nice, I will consider it, but I am on a tight budget for now :)
It would also be a plus because I can use that to experiment with RouterOS without taking main network offline.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:31 am

Do you get the second WANIP for free?

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:18 am

I didn't knew what you meant about the savings and IP :P
I got a "business" type plan with 3 dedicated IP which is max for this plan, my ISP gave me 3 pppoe accounts for that :)
The accounts are set to 1000mbps down and 500mbps up so I like them, and only ~22 EUR/mo total.
And for the home router I use another "home" type pppoe account which is cheaper.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:54 pm

I didn't knew what you meant about the savings and IP :P
I got a "business" type plan with 3 dedicated IP which is max for this plan, my ISP gave me 3 pppoe accounts for that :)
The accounts are set to 1000mbps down and 500mbps up so I like them, and only ~22 EUR/mo total.
And for the home router I use another "home" type pppoe account which is cheaper.
If you dont use all three IPs, then you could save money my way and ditch the home account! Presto, instant beer allowance ;-P

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm

The home account is around 6 Eur, probably not smart to keep it while not using it but anyway, there are many other things I can save before that (3 netflix type services for example :shock: )

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:23 pm

Netflix account you can share with two others and thus recoup some of the fees by asking for 2 Euros for the account LOL. 10-2-2 means only paying 6 euros for netflix vice 10.
Throw in the other 6 euros from dropping the extra WANIP and thats now 12 Euros a month. I am going to make you rich!!! or very drunk LOL
Or, a hapac2 is paid off in four months LOL.

adrianTNT
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm

The Netflix account is shared alright, just that I didn't get to the second part where we also share the price :)