Community discussions

MikroTik App

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

LHG LTE Management Passthrough to Unifi USG Router

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:51 pm

Hello All,

I have configured my LHG-LTE with LTE Passthrough as per the wiki. My main router is Unify USG. Could anyone explain how to set up a management vlan between the two as per below taken form the wiki I am using ether1 on both devices.

It is suggested to create additional connection from the LTE router to the host for configuration purposes. For example vlan interface between the LTE router and host.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... gh_Example

The wiki is a little vague for not so experienced users.
If someone would share a configuration with us it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

f0rz
just joined

Re: LHG LTE Management Passthrough to Unifi USG Router

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:13 pm

same here im using unifi usg with a wap lte and im not able to do a passtrough anymore the Unifi usg im not getting the public IP but when i plug it into my laptop it's working.

And when i enable the passtrough im losing the management.

Please help us to do it correctly.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:03 pm

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi Sebastia

Thank you for the link for the configuration, however the I have only one port on the LHG LTE modem (ether1).. so I have managed to setup VLAN100 for LTE passthrough and this is work. How can pass the management IP to the USG on the same ether1 port so I can access web interface for management.

So I am hoping to achieve the following :

LTE passthrough - VLAN100 on ether1
Modem management - ether1

or do i need to setup another VLAN for passthrough management ??

Please advise

Thanks in advance.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 am

that question was answered on the other thread too: mgmt can go over naked eth1.

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:17 am

Hi again.. thanks for the advice. Do also need to assign a new MAC to the LTE VLAN? ,

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Change_M ... _interface

I have read on another thread that as both LTE / management traffic areusing the same MAC , all requests are being forwarded to the LTE interface.

So landscape will look like

Ether1 - LTE Passthrough - VLAN100 - MAC 11:22:33:44:55:66
Ether1 Naked - Management subnet - No VLAN - MAC 11:22:33:44:55:66

OR

Ether1 - LTE Passthrough - VLAN100 - MAC 11:22:33:44:AA:BB - change VLAN MAC
Ether1 Naked - Management subnet - No VLAN - MAC 11:22:33:44:55:66

Thanks again

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 am

with pass-through on vlan and mgmt on naked / plain interface, there is no need for mac change.

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi.. I have tried this configuration and have added static route to the USG on 192.168.1.1.

Modem connected to USG WAN port, LTE configured passthrough on VLAN100 and Internet is working.

I still cannot ping the modem from USG.

Modem has been set to 10.0.0.1

Show interfaces on USG
looks like eth0 is not picking up DHCP from Modem..

fatcat168@ubnt:~$ show interfaces
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface IP Address S/L Description
--------- ---------- --- -----------
eth0 - u/u WAN
eth0.100 188.30.131.130/30 u/u WAN
eth1 192.168.1.1/24 u/u LAN
eth2 - A/D
lo 127.0.0.1/8 u/u
::1/128

Ping 10.0.0.1 from USG

fatcat168@ubnt:~$ ping 10.0.0.1
PING 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
From 188.30.131.130 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable

Is these another config I need to perform?

Thanks

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 pm

what do you mean by "modem"? LHG LTE?

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Yes.. LHG LTE modem... thanks

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 pm

Not sure what you mean by this "I have tried this configuration and have added static route to the USG on 192.168.1.1. ", but you don't need it.

on the router:

fatcat168@ubnt:~$ show interfaces
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface IP Address S/L Description
--------- ---------- --- -----------
eth0 - u/u WAN
eth0.100 188.30.131.130/30 u/u WAN

* assign ip to eth0, that's not WAN but MGMT.
* if modem is 10.0.0.1, set eth0 to 10.0.0.2 or something and that's it!

sniperfire
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:18 am

Hi .. I have now managed to pass the LHG LTE management interface to the USG .. Many thanks to Sabastia for all the hints and guidance!!

My setup for reference

Internet -----> LHG 4G (ether1 VLAN100)----->Ubiquiti USG WAN (eth0.100) - DHCP client enabled
LHG 4G Mgt (10.0.0.1) -----> Ubiquiti USG WAN (eth0 10.0.0.2) - DHCP client enabled

USG config.gateway.json

{
"interfaces": {
"ethernet": {
"eth0": {
"address": ["dhcp"],
"description": "LTE Modem",
"duplex": "auto",
"speed": "auto",
"vif": {
"100": {
"address": [
"dhcp"
],
"description": "WAN",
"dhcp-options": {
"client-option": [
"retry 60;"
],
"default-route": "update",
"default-route-distance": "1",
"name-server": "no-update"
}
}
}
}
}
},
"service": {
"nat": {
"rule": {
"5000": {
"destination": {
"address": ["10.0.0.1"]
},
"outbound-interface": ["eth0"],
"type": "masquerade"
}
}
}
}
}

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm

I am new to the Mikrotik products and have chosen a WAP LTE Kit for a neighbour to replace their woeful broadband service. I'm trying to get the unit into passthrough mode but am struggling as keep getting an error stating passthrough cannot be on a slave interface. This is obviously a config issue on my part but I'm not sure how to get this working.

In addition this unit will be connected to the WAN port on a Netgear DGN2200 but I may need to adjust the WAP LTE settings in future. Now I know most recommend creating a static route back to the modem but I wanted to keep it simple and am happy to access the webfig if needed via the wireless connection. Do I need to do anything on the config after enabling passthrough to ensure easy access to the management interface via wifi?

Thanks for any help.

cnu
just joined

Sun May 17, 2020 11:39 am

Hi, snipefire

How do your set the IP Address / DHCP on the USG side? My WAN is working but if I try to set the NAT with the IP @eth0 my USG is going crazys. It takes the IP configuration from eth0 and add it to eth0.VLAN. I don't know why.

thanks.
Hi .. I have now managed to pass the LHG LTE management interface to the USG .. Many thanks to Sabastia for all the hints and guidance!!

My setup for reference

Internet -----> LHG 4G (ether1 VLAN100)----->Ubiquiti USG WAN (eth0.100) - DHCP client enabled
LHG 4G Mgt (10.0.0.1) -----> Ubiquiti USG WAN (eth0 10.0.0.2) - DHCP client enabled

USG config.gateway.json

{
"interfaces": {
"ethernet": {
"eth0": {
"address": ["dhcp"],
"description": "LTE Modem",
"duplex": "auto",
"speed": "auto",
"vif": {
"100": {
"address": [
"dhcp"
],
"description": "WAN",
"dhcp-options": {
"client-option": [
"retry 60;"
],
"default-route": "update",
"default-route-distance": "1",
"name-server": "no-update"
}
}
}
}
}
},
"service": {
"nat": {
"rule": {
"5000": {
"destination": {
"address": ["10.0.0.1"]
},
"outbound-interface": ["eth0"],
"type": "masquerade"
}
}
}
}
}

cnu
just joined

Sun May 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi, I found the "problem". I configured the VLAN from the WAN Interface via the WebInterface from the Controller and added the "LTE-Part" with the configuration File.

This combination does not work. I moved the complete configuration in the config.gateway.json and it is ok. One question: What is the reason for the DNAT? (rule 5000), because the USG can reach the Mikrotik LTE Modem directly .... thanks

Moriarty221B
just joined

Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I am trying todo a very similar step-up with a LHG LTE6 kit and UDM Pro.

I understand UniFi well but am brand new to Mikrotik and step by step Guide on how you guys have set this up using the web Gui would be really appreciated.

Any support would be great thank you.

I am trying to use the LHG LTE6 just to a modem and then the UDM Pro as my main router.

Thank you

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:33 pm

I was looking for a step by step guide using the GUI but it appears most Mikrotik users stick with using CLI commands via the Terminal. Most things can be configured via the GUI but Mikrotik insist in putting all of their wiki guidance in CLI format.

I can advise how to get the unit into Passthrough which will work perfectly with the UDM Pro but maintaining management on the UHG is more difficult. There’s no way to use a json file with the UDM Pro as far as I’m aware. If you don’t need access to the UHG then setting Passthrough is relatively easy.

Easpeak
just joined

Re: LHG LTE Management Passthrough to Unifi USG Router  [SOLVED]

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 am

Just to give my two cents on this subject as I had been struggling with this too. Also, I needed the LHG device for my rural estate and this will be just for home/home office.

This is purposely kept very basic and aimed to help people to get LTE passthrough and the management working while using Mikrotik and Ubiquiti devices.

To keep things simple I have sticked to the 192.168.1.0/24 (255.255.255.0) addressing.

Anyway, I have the following devices:
LHG LTE6
Ubiquiti USG 3P
Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini (any simple switch should do as long as it supports basic VLAN traffic).

I have set them up so:
LHG LTE6 eth1 to eth1 of USW Flex Mini (a simple switch)
USW Flex Mini eth2 to USG 3P WAN
USW Flex Mini eth3 to USG 3P LAN1

I also have some more Ubiquiti gear that I will add later when I actually get around to it. Then use LAN1 on the USG as management network and LAN2 on the USG for else.
Also, I am quite sure that on the UDM Pro you can do a more elegant solution - the USG 3P and Flex Mini have some hardware restrictions.

On the Ubiquiti UI side

Under Internet -> WAN Networks you have:
IPv4 Connection Type: Using DHCP (so that the LTE IP can be passed to it)
Use VLAN ID 30 (or whatever number you want to use) and have it Enabled.

Under Networks -> Local Networks
Gateway IP/Subnet 192.168.1.1/24
DHCP Mode: DHCP Server

You can play with the Port Profiles, but just make sure everything works before and leave them to All for the time being.

On the Mikrotik
I removed the entire default config after a reset.
The Quick Set view of the working setup can be seen like this:
I use the 192.168.1.3 as a fixed IP to manage the Mikrotik LHG.

In ther Interfaces menu you have to create a VLAN for LTE passthrough (I have it VLAN already created but you should only have LTE and eth1 there):

I use VLAN 30 for that:

Interface List tab:

Under IP and Addresses you should assign a static IP as your management (or you can set up a DHCP client for eth1):
If you have done things correctly on the Ubiquiti side then you might get disconnected but you should be able to use the 192.168.1.3 IP or Winbox to reconnect directly using your computer.

This should be created automatically once you assign the LTE to pass traffic through the VLAN, but just to check later if you are having problems. The VLAN interface should act as a DHCP server to the USG WAN interface:

After that you should be ready to change the LTE APN to passthrough over the VLAN interface:

Hopefully this will help someone in the right direction.

Moriarty221B
just joined

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:53 am

Thank you both this really helps and is much appreciated.

My issue now is on the UDM Pro what configuration I would need to have in regards to VLans etc to separate the traffics so that I could use the other 6 ports as a switch and not have them interfere with the pass through setting etc.

if that makes sense as I believe by default all corporate VLans can talk to each other.

Thanks

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 am

I don’t think that should be an issue for you. The other ports will simply act as non tagged ports. The port the LHG is connected to would be tagged as VLANxx where xx is the VLAN set in the LHG for Passthrough. It’s the WAN interface the UDM is using for internet provided by the LHG. The other ports should be unaffected as they are LAN side ports within your internal network.

Hope that helps a little?

Moriarty221B
just joined

Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am

Perfect I will give this a try over the weekend/start of next week as see how I get on.

Thank you so much guys.

dougmorrison
just joined

Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:20 pm

I owe you a pint! Seriously though, thanks for posting that in English :)

Just to give my two cents on this subject as I had been struggling with this too. Also, I needed the LHG device for my rural estate and this will be just for home/home office.

This is purposely kept very basic and aimed to help people to get LTE passthrough and the management working while using Mikrotik and Ubiquiti devices.

To keep things simple I have sticked to the 192.168.1.0/24 (255.255.255.0) addressing.

LHG LTE6
Ubiquiti USG 3P
Ubiquiti USW Flex Mini (any simple switch should do as long as it supports basic VLAN traffic).

I have set them up so:

I also have some more Ubiquiti gear that I will add later when I actually get around to it. Then use LAN1 on the USG as management network and LAN2 on the USG for else.
Also, I am quite sure that on the UDM Pro you can do a more elegant solution - the USG 3P and Flex Mini have some hardware restrictions.

On the Ubiquiti UI side

You can play with the Port Profiles, but just make sure everything works before and leave them to All for the time being.

On the Mikrotik

In ther Interfaces menu you have to create a VLAN for LTE passthrough (I have it VLAN already created but you should only have LTE and eth1 there):

I use VLAN 30 for that:

Interface List tab:

Under IP and Addresses you should assign a static IP as your management (or you can set up a DHCP client for eth1):
If you have done things correctly on the Ubiquiti side then you might get disconnected but you should be able to use the 192.168.1.3 IP or Winbox to reconnect directly using your computer.

This should be created automatically once you assign the LTE to pass traffic through the VLAN, but just to check later if you are having problems. The VLAN interface should act as a DHCP server to the USG WAN interface:

After that you should be ready to change the LTE APN to passthrough over the VLAN interface:

SHLKelso
just joined

Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:11 pm

This looks to be exactly what I've been looking for too, so many thanks to the posters above (easpecially Easpeak) for laying out the info so clearly.

Can I check I've got this right? I have a UDM Pro, which in turn connects to a US-8-150W (amongst other switches around the property). Potentially I can connect the LHG to a spare port on my US-8 (so powering the LHG from this switch), and using VLAN settings then route this to a port on the UDMP which in turn is phyically cabled to the UDMP WAN port. The fact that the ports I am using are on separate pieces of hardware makes no difference providing my settings are correct (I hope).

If so I can give this a try later this week and see if this also works for me too!

crazycharley
just joined

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:26 pm

I am trying to do something quite similar, except I am using LHG Cat 4 version and my existing Draytek 2760 router that brings in my DSL connection. DSL can be disabled on the Draytek and the LHG connected to one of the LAN ports as an alternate WAN. I have sort of got it working using passthrough, setting up a new APN with passthrough-mac set to the MAC of the Draytek alternate WAN port, but have then run into the issue that you can't change the LHG config as there is no IP to address it.

I have one question before I try this - in the screenshot of your VLAN setup which MAC address are you using? I am assuming it is the MAC for the alternate WAN ethernet interface on the switch/router (the Draytek in my case) - is that right - or is it the MAC of ether1 on the LHG? If it is the MAC of the Draytek alternate WAN port then will there be an issue that the VLAN is pointing to teh same MAC as the passthrough?

Thanks in advance.

-------------

LHG LTE6
Ubiquiti USG 3P

I have set them up so:

On the Ubiquiti UI side

On the Mikrotik

I use VLAN 30 for that:

Interface List tab:

Tintifax
just joined

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:40 pm

I have the exactly same problem with an UDM and a LHG.
LTE passthrough is working perfectly as suggested on VLAN 30.
DreamMachine is set to 192.168.1.1 and LHG to 192.168.1.30.
As LHG just have one Ethernet port I am struggeling how to setup the plain ether1 to be the managing port.
Furthermore what to setup on UDM?

Would be gratefull for any advice.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:00 pm

It's a little tricky setting this up but I think you're 90% there. The issue I found with mine was the fact I hadn't put the LHG into a separate switch before going into the main network. I'm assuming you have the LHG plugged into the WAN port on your UDM. Try using a switch prior to the UDM, something like the Flex Mini is ideal. Plug the LHG into the switch and then take another patch cable to the UDM WAN port. Once done you should then be able to access the LHG via it's IP address on the naked ethernet port.

NobelDwarf
just joined

Sun May 02, 2021 10:53 am

LHG LTE6
Ubiquiti USG 3P

I have set them up so:

On the Ubiquiti UI side

On the Mikrotik

I use VLAN 30 for that:

Interface List tab:

Thanks for the information to help with my setup only thing I found hard was where to find the APN settings for the LTE to allow the passthrough. If anyone else have the same issue I found it in "Interfaces > LTE > LTE APNs > Default"

Jerry67
just joined

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:51 pm

----
Thanks a lot! This was perfect! If someone could expound on how you'll set use lan 1 on USG for management and lan 2 for everything else, I presume all computers and devices will be connected to lan 2, so how will you access the LHG if its on lan 1?

ralliart
just joined

Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:29 pm

I would post one small update to the guide - if you will ever plan to put switch aware of vlans (Flex mini doesn't care about them), between LHG and USG you will need to add network in ubiquiti with matching VLAN ID - it can be even one host only like 192.168.2.1/30 disable DHCP on network and you are done.
Zrzut ekranu_20230123_172314.png
Verification on switch.
Zrzut ekranu_20230123_172602.png
I had a massive headache with adding USW-8 without VLANS it won't work
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andyh747
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun May 07, 2023 4:14 pm

I would post one small update to the guide - if you will ever plan to put switch aware of vlans (Flex mini doesn't care about them), between LHG and USG you will need to add network in ubiquiti with matching VLAN ID - it can be even one host only like 192.168.2.1/30 disable DHCP on network and you are done.

Zrzut ekranu_20230123_172314.png

Verification on switch.

Zrzut ekranu_20230123_172602.png

I had a massive headache with adding USW-8 without VLANS it won't work
The above is a vital piece of the puzzle if you've got a managed switch as stated above. Without adding a new network with same VLAN ID as the LHG is passing through on, you won't get internet passthrough to the WAN port on your Ubiquiti gateway. I'm using a UDM Pro and initially misconfigured it which resulted in some frustration!!

Thanks for emphasising this point. :)

dougmorrison
just joined

Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:52 pm

Anyone manage to get this working for a UDM? Doesn't appear to be as simple as updating the MAC address in routeros :(