Community discussions

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Best VPN for Mikrotik / RouterOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:18 am

Hey guys.
First thing first I'm a complete noob in networking, so forgive me if my question is stupid and in the wrong section of the forum.
My router is RB951G-2HnD, currently running on RouterOS v6.43.4

So what I want to achieve is to be hidden when browsing from home through various devices. That include all PCs, phones, Android TV Boxes (Kodi) and downloading torrent files through a NAS that doesn't support a VPN client itself. The most important to me is staying anonymous when torrenting through the NAS and when using Kodi.

Which is the easiest (and if possible cheapest) way to achieve this with the router? Is it possible to exclude a device from the VPN? For example, I watch Netflix with my TV and I do NOT wont to use the VPN for that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best VPN for Mikrotik / RouterOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 am

So you are asking what third party vendor VPN is best? Try google.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 am

I did Anav. One of the first hits was NordVPN, but I see it doesn't support MikroTik anymore. Hence I'm asking here.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:22 pm

Answer to that question may be here

The reality of it is that most/all PPTP and SSTP solutions will work. L2TP/IPSEC, some will and some won't and openVPN is a bit of a shambles as far as MT goes.

Is your question more whats the best VPN or is it, I've got a VPN so how do I route my traffic?
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

r00t
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Best VPN is one you make yourself, host CHR somewhere and use native Mikrotik protocols (EoIP,IPIP,etc.)
Generally avoid TCP based protocols (SSTP,OpenVPN) for performance reasons (single TCP connection), always prefer UDP ones (PPTP,L2TP,...).

Obviously it all depends on what you are trying to do, if you are trying to break free from China, your options will be quite different then when you are in a "free world" and can simply pick any protocol you have and it will work...

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Guys, maybe I asked the wrong question.
What I mean is what is the easiest commercial VPN to use/configure with Mikrotik. And I need a solution to my specific needs - hiding my identity when using torrent client or when watching online content with Kodi. Where I live (New Zealand) that's not an issue at the moment, but you never know. At some point, we may follow Australia (as we usually do), where watching online content and downloading torrents is a huge issue. That is all. I can't create my own VPN and host it somewhere. All I have at home is a couple of notebooks, a cheap NAS (with a torrent client - Transmission) and an Android TV box with Kodi installed.
I guess what I need is a tutorial like this one: https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/ ... ient-Setup
The thing is I have no idea if this one will do what I want.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 pm

For $20 a month I can get you setup for live TV that is legal so you dont have to torrent LOL.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)