Community discussions

MikroTik App

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Best VPN for Mikrotik / RouterOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:18 am

Hey guys.
First thing first I'm a complete noob in networking, so forgive me if my question is stupid and in the wrong section of the forum.
My router is RB951G-2HnD, currently running on RouterOS v6.43.4

So what I want to achieve is to be hidden when browsing from home through various devices. That include all PCs, phones, Android TV Boxes (Kodi) and downloading torrent files through a NAS that doesn't support a VPN client itself. The most important to me is staying anonymous when torrenting through the NAS and when using Kodi.

Which is the easiest (and if possible cheapest) way to achieve this with the router? Is it possible to exclude a device from the VPN? For example, I watch Netflix with my TV and I do NOT wont to use the VPN for that.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best VPN for Mikrotik / RouterOS

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 am

So you are asking what third party vendor VPN is best? Try google.

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:38 am

I did Anav. One of the first hits was NordVPN, but I see it doesn't support MikroTik anymore. Hence I'm asking here.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:33 pm

Best VPN is one you make yourself, host CHR somewhere and use native Mikrotik protocols (EoIP,IPIP,etc.)
Generally avoid TCP based protocols (SSTP,OpenVPN) for performance reasons (single TCP connection), always prefer UDP ones (PPTP,L2TP,...).

Obviously it all depends on what you are trying to do, if you are trying to break free from China, your options will be quite different then when you are in a "free world" and can simply pick any protocol you have and it will work...

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:23 pm

Guys, maybe I asked the wrong question.
What I mean is what is the easiest commercial VPN to use/configure with Mikrotik. And I need a solution to my specific needs - hiding my identity when using torrent client or when watching online content with Kodi. Where I live (New Zealand) that's not an issue at the moment, but you never know. At some point, we may follow Australia (as we usually do), where watching online content and downloading torrents is a huge issue. That is all. I can't create my own VPN and host it somewhere. All I have at home is a couple of notebooks, a cheap NAS (with a torrent client - Transmission) and an Android TV box with Kodi installed.
I guess what I need is a tutorial like this one: https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/ ... ient-Setup
The thing is I have no idea if this one will do what I want.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 pm

For $20 a month I can get you setup for live TV that is legal so you dont have to torrent LOL.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Which is the easiest (and if possible cheapest) way to achieve this with the router? Is it possible to exclude a device from the VPN? For example, I watch Netflix with my TV and I do NOT wont to use the VPN for that.
If you are looking for a cheapest option then CyberGhost VPN is good and less expensive. But what actually you need a featuire called Split Tunneling, which allow certain apps (whatever app you want) to use VPN and rest will not be used when VPN connection is on. There are very few VPNs that offer this feature. PureVPN offers split tunneling (which I will never recommend) rest is ExpressVPN (which is expensive) but good for all your needs. You can even Google and find more about it.
Total BS...

Leaving IPSec aside, tunnelling protocol or provider has zero to do with routing or the "split tunnelling" feature you mention, which can be achieved while using any tunnelling protocol under ROS by applying common routing practices: mangle/route marks (policy routing). All this, independently from the VPN provider.

Plenty of examples on Mikrotik multi wan presentations, like Tomas Kirnak's

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 pm

I did Anav. One of the first hits was NordVPN, but I see it doesn't support MikroTik anymore. Hence I'm asking here.
Since v6.45 MikroTik can connect to NordVPN without problems. using IKEv2.
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/mikrotik/ikev2/
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/IKEv2_EA ... d_RouterOS

It's more involved than simply setting up a PPTP VPN, but it works.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Good to know. I use third party VPNs on the client side devices themselves (pc- works on most browsers, and many streaming type devices aka Firestick). I am waiting for wireguard on the router and then life will be so much easier.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 am

Good to know. I use third party VPNs on the client side devices themselves (pc- works on most browsers, and many streaming type devices aka Firestick). I am waiting for wireguard on the router and then life will be so much easier.
RouterOS v8.

nikolav75
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am

Since v6.45 MikroTik can connect to NordVPN without problems. using IKEv2.
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/mikrotik/ikev2/
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/IKEv2_EA ... d_RouterOS

It's more involved than simply setting up a PPTP VPN, but it works.
That's indeed good to know. Back then I went with SaferVPN. In 20 months I'll review my options again :)