Community discussions

MikroTik App

en1gm4
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

HAP mini IPSEC+EoIP performance?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 pm

does anyone know what performance Is possible from a Hap mini (With wifi turned off) running only an EoIP tunnel and IPSEC?

i did see some evidence of people getting 15Mbit from a hap lite and my understanding is the hap mini may have a more powerful cpu, (although a quick google indicates they both have a max cpu of 650mhz and there looks to be little difference on paper?)

I have a particular use for a small USB powered device to be used with a microserver used for offsite backup and having an L2 tunnel
(doing it this way means it could be moved back to the office for very large changes if needed and then back offsite for incremental updates ... without changing config on the server)

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: HAP mini IPSEC+EoIP performance?

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:34 pm

As far as I can recall, Hap Mini and Lite has exactly the same specs, only difference is mini has 3 ether ports and Lite has 4 ether ports

JohnTRIVOLTA

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Don't expect more than 10 mb/ps with AES 128 CBC , the eoip tunnel use lot of cpu resources too!

en1gm4
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:24 am

Thanks. Guess I'll have to just try one and see.

Otherwise, any recommendations on the best price performance for this relatively simple task? (Assuming we give up USB powered).

I may have a spare RB951G available.
Looks like the hEX might do hardware acceleration of AES at least... So that might be the best option.

Currently the most we are likely to move is 20mb/s due to other network constraints.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

I think the hAP ac2 / RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC / is the right choice !