Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kaspi
just joined
Topic Author

Bridging WiFi client with DHCP and the rest

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi there, my first time I'm trying to set up RouterOS, please bare with me. :-)

Have the wAP LTE and somehow I managed to set up the router to:
- Connect with an LTE interface
- Have an ethernet interface
- Have a WiFi AP
- Provide DHCP server for the AP and eth with my desired IP range
- Bridge connections between the AP and eth
- Connect to a third party wifi AP with additional wireless interface set to "station" mode
- Configure a DHCP client for the WiFi client interface so it can connect to the internet through the third party AP (verified in terminal)

This has been a legendary performance for a guy coming from tp-link routers, who has never gone too deep in networking, for your information. :D

Now what I am stuck with is that I can't seem to be able to bridge the wifi client connection to eth and the wlan AP.

Either I can add the wifi client interface to the list of ports of the bridge I've got and it becomes a slave interface, which means the DHCP client becomes invalid and I can't ping outer servers from the router anymore or I disable to bridge port and the DHCP client works, but then I can't connect to the outer internet from a computer connected by AP or eth.

In general what I'm trying to achieve is a router that connects over third party wifi APs and if none are available, it will fall back to LTE. In both cases, it should bridge the connection to further devices using its own AP and ethernet.

Got RouterOS 6.44 (the latest stable). Any hints are appreciated, thank you. :-)

solar77
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bridging WiFi client with DHCP and the rest

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 am

what I'm trying to achieve is a router that connects over third party wifi APs and if none are available, it will fall back to LTE.
you are looking for " dual WAN fail-over". Many many tutorial and posts avaiable but starts from wiki
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Advanced ... _Scripting

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Bridging WiFi client with DHCP and the rest

Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:42 pm

Please post your config, your verbiage does not inspire confidence in my understanding of the situation LOL.
/export hide-sensitive file=yourconfig