Community discussions

MikroTik App

qwertybum
just joined
Topic Author

[Help] Noob needs to upgrade config.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:27 pm

I have a configuration as follows:
ISP WAN -/- ISP_router -- SXT-Lite5 (A) ---/--- SXT-Lite5 (B) -- RB2011UiAS-2nD 
                 |                                                |            |
                 |                                                |            |
                 LAN_1 & WLAN_1                                 LAN_2       WLAN_2
I used the configuration from here: https://blog.linitx.com/howto-building- ... -products/

Now, yesterday I updated the RouterOS to 6.44.3 and the firmware to 3.41.fwf on each hardware. This proved to cause me a problem because I didn't plan the upgrades well and I lost connection to everything. I have spent most of today just getting back to a configuration state where I have the PTP Lite5's (A+B) back, but the RB2011 is not behaving well. I needed to do a configuration reset on the RB2011 and didn't have a backup file to restore. So now I have broken LAN_2 and WLAN_2 and B -> RB2011.

Here's what I am currently having to do:
  • remove RB2011 and connect laptop directly to (B).
  • I get a 192.168.88.0/24 address, but not LAN_1 network address of 192.168.0.0/24. So I need to manually add a default gateway to laptop on LAN_2 with a metric lower than the 192.168.88.0/24 gateway given by (B). Then to get a WAN connection I manually add the 192.168.0.0/24 gateway. If I don't do this I can only use IPv6 to WAN but only major internet sites are IPv6 enabled.

I have all interfaces on A + B bridged, and have WiFi interface and ports 5-10 of the RB2011 bridged. All bridges are configured as a DHCP client since ISP_router is DHCP server.

1. I'm unable at the moment to post my configuration. How do I restore automatic 192.168.0.0/24 routes on RB2011 bridge?
2. Also why does the "current firmware" says '6.44.3' which is RouterOS so not sure why "Factory firmware" is still saying 3.19?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [Help] Noob needs to upgrade config.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:47 am

Network 192.168.88.0/24 is used in default config, so while resetting and reconfiguring devices, you probably forgot dhcp server somewhere. Find it, disable it and it will probably work then.

Factory firmware is what was originally installed. I'm not sure if that number is useful for anything.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: [Help] Noob needs to upgrade config.

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:45 pm

2. Also why does the "current firmware" says '6.44.3' which is RouterOS so not sure why "Factory firmware" is still saying 3.19?
ROS packages always included firmware image and firmware numbering was separate from ROS numbering. Since a year or two ago, firmware numbering follows ROS numbering (probably in attempt to reduce confusion between users but many users of this forum believe MT actually introduced confusion with this move). Hence it's no kore possible to easily know whether firmware needs to be upgraded or not ... as version number will always change even if nothing else changes.

Factory firmware version defines lowest firmware version which can be installed on given device (it is possible to downgrade firmware).