Community discussions

NComisso
just joined
Topic Author

Share WiFi and LAN DHCP

Fri May 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Hi im new in MikroTik (also new in networks in general). Until now managed to understand the basic concepts to create LAN and WAN networks.
When i connect a WiFi router (TP-Link TL-WR720N) it generates a new subnet with his own DHCP, assigning IP's to the devices.
What i want from the Tp-Link and the LAN from the routerboard is to share the same IP Pool from the same DHCP. This is because i need to see all my devices connected from the same plataform.
I dont know if this is even possible to do because of the Tp-Link,maybe you con guide me. Thank you for your time.

k6ccc

Re: Share WiFi and LAN DHCP

Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 pm

I don't know anything about the TP Link equipment, but it sounds like you want the TP Link to operate only as a WiFi access point and NOT have any router functions. You likely can make this work by turning off the DHCP server functionality in the TP Link and then connecting one of the LAN ports (NOT the WAN port) of the TP Link to a LAN port on your Mikrotik router. Note BTW, that you may also need to configure the IP for the TP Link so that it does not conflict with anything else on your network.

I have done this with Netgear consumer type WiFi/router devices - although my primary goal was to make use of the switch part and not the WiFi.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Share WiFi and LAN DHCP

Fri May 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Sometimes routers already have a mode for AP/switch only and the advantage mostly is that you get one extra switch port (wan is usually also added to the switch).
If it doesn't this guide should help you out.
https://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)