Community discussions

cecker
just joined
Topic Author

RB750Gr3 (hEX) using as switch and router

Tue May 07, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi everybody,

hopefully I found the right title for my problem. Having the latest RouterOS and read through a lot of articles and tried for hours I can't get done what I want. I found the wiki articles talking about the switch chip type for the hEX, the new VLAN filtering approach since 6.41, but still...

Right now I have two networks:

Net1: 192.168.55.0/24 having a DCHP Server
Net2: 192.168.66.0/24 having a DCHP Server

I want:
Net1 connected to ether1, Net1 available as vlan10 at ether 5 (VLAN trunk)
Net2 connected to ether2, Net2 available as vlan20 at ether 5 (VLAN trunk)
In addition setup two vlans (vlan30 and vlan40 with DHCP Servers) on the hEX available at ether 5 (VLAN trunk)
Block vlan30 against vlan40 and vice versa (Should be easy with a firewall rule)

ether 5 (VLAN trunk) will be connected to a managed switch in another building (I only have a single network cable going there).

As said, I failed in setting up this scenario. Maybe my approach is too weird. I'm grateful for any help.

Chris

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB750Gr3 (hEX) using as switch and router

Wed May 08, 2019 3:12 pm

As to the concepts of solving your task (completely possible, BTW), I advise you to read through this excellent tutorial.

After you have your setup up and running in software (with vlan-filtering on bridge), you can start to consider implementing things in hardware. You're mentioning hEX ... which particular type? If your hEX is RB750Gr3, then forget about it, that device's switch chip (MT7621) doesn't support VLAN in hardware (check switch chip features) and you'll have to do it in software anyway.
BR,
Metod

cecker
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB750Gr3 (hEX) using as switch and router

Wed May 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks for the link to the tutorial, did not know it so far, I was focussed on the Wiki. I will try it again after going through the tutorial.
Yes, as the title says it is the RB750Gr3 and I already found out that VLAN filtering at bridge level is the right and only approach for this type of Mikrotik product.

Thank you,

Chris