Community discussions

MikroTik App

Xerek
just joined
Topic Author

Can't properly grab Wifi and pass downstream (Groove)

Sun May 12, 2019 4:16 pm

I'm jumping into this forum because I've been trolling for the past week working on configuring my Groove and hAP but keep running into trouble. I keep narrowing down the scope of what I can get to work and what I can't. I now have the Groove connected via cat5 direct to my computer and the Groove is connected to a wireless SSID. I've tried connecting to two different SSIDs with different both failing results. I've also tried setting up the Groove as a pure bridge and with a DHCP server and internal NATd network.

Wifi SSID #1: Is my home LAN and the wireless router sending out wifi signal. I know the password to this router and can connect and ping 8.8.8.8 successfully (from the Router itself). My computer can ping through the Groove into the router on the other side, but can't get past that point. I read somewhere that certain APs don't support L2 access. I'm guessing that my laptop is in an L2 relationship with the internet through the GRoove and the other wifi router. Happy to hear if this is a technical limitation and I'll stop trying ot make it work...though it does limit the reason I purchased the Groove to grab and boost access to wifi APs.

WIFI SSID #2: This is a wifi AP which requires you to add information in a browser to login. There is no direct password to the network. If I connect directly to this SSID from my laptop, when I try to go anywhere, I am redirected to their login page, enter credentials and am then granted access. Through the Groove, I can ping the SSID router gateway from my laptop but I am not being redirected or allowed to login to their network. I haven't seen a response that addresses this particular issue though I've seen others ask it before. I imagine this is fairly common and so I hope I'm doing something wrong in the configuration and this should be possible to set up and connect.