Community discussions

marcrisse
just joined
Topic Author

[solved] VLAN-subnet over 3 devices / routing? switching?

Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am

Hello,
I have a problem understanding VLANs and routing/switching a subnet over all devices:
My router MKT#1 gets a VLAN trunk from the gateway (Edgerouter 4 / ER4#1) with 4 VLANs. One of these VLANs should become the management VLAN (VID100, 192.168.100.0/24).
On MKT#1 the VLAN runs wonderfully, I have access to the individual VLANs, have also WLAN-APs and so on connected to it. everything super.
A second router MKT#2 is directly connected to MKT#1. I don't understand how to pass the VLAN100 on MKT#1 to MKT#2 so that all three devices can communicate over the MGMT network. On MKT#1 I created a bridge and integrated the interfaces. MKT#1 can reach both neighbours. But MKT#2 cannot reach ER4#1 and vice versa. Only when I set on MKT#1 some host routes, it does work but i don't want routing, I want switching ;). Do I have a thinking error or do I have to deal with OSPF/BGP etc? Actually I think I need something like EoIP, so I connect the routers MKT#1 and MKT#2 over an dedicated net and route the ethernet VLAN100 over it, right?
I hope my problem is understandable, I can explain it better in German ;)
Last edited by marcrisse on Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anumrak
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: VLAN-subnet over 3 devices / routing? switching?

Wed May 15, 2019 10:08 am

Hey. If your routers are far from each other, then maybe you will need EoIP + OSPF. You can use iBGP too, but you really need to think first, why do you need that.

In order to reach other host on layer 2, all you need is create vlan interface and tag it with appropriate vlan, also choose correct ethernet interface. i think that's it.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLAN-subnet over 3 devices / routing? switching?

Wed May 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Better than google translate is a detailed diagram showing your setup.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

marcrisse
just joined
Topic Author

Re: [solved] VLAN-subnet over 3 devices / routing? switching?

Wed May 15, 2019 9:27 pm

it is up and running. i created one bridge for every VLAN and after switching to "proxy-arp" everything works. :)