Community discussions

danjde
just joined
Topic Author

Compatibility with existing system

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:46 am

Hi Friends,
I'm completely new about SXT LTE Router :oops:

I would like to install it on the roof, and use only one sim.
Now I've on the roof a Wimax antenna-modem (POE powered), can it be powered via POE? Is it standard the POE voltage?

Then, on the ground floor I've a 4 ports router with one WAN interface (MDI/MDIX), can I connect the ethernet cable coming out of the POE power supply DATA port to the ppoe router? Or is a switch sufficient? My router is an Zyxel NBG-416N.

I need this information before buying it :-)

Many thanks!

Davide

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Compatibility with existing system

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:56 am

There are two current LHG LTE variants available (LHG LTE kit and LHG 4G kit), they are mostly different in the list of LTE bands supported. Both are standard 802.3af/at PoE compliant. They both support the "proprietary passive PoE", such PoE injector is included ... hence no need for PoE switch if you don't already have one.

Both include full router/firewall functionality, so they can be connected directly to LAN switch.
BR,
Metod

danjde
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 pm

Ah, very interesting!
I would like to use LHG LTE with Iliad.com (4G/4G+) so I think should be better "LHG 4G kit", from what you write :-)

Thanks again for your interesting information and useful help!

Davide

danjde
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:21 pm

One last question before buying:

This model (even if discontinued) could it be working fine with 4G/4G+?.

PS
when a device becomes discontinued, can it still receive firmware updates?

Many thanks again and excuse me for my silly questions :-)

Davide

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:41 pm

This model (even if discontinued) could it be working fine with 4G/4G+?.

This device is a 4G device, although it only supports 2 LTE bands - B3 1800 MHz and B7 2600 MHz FDD. I wouldn't buy this device unless your MNO of choice only uses these two bands to provide LTE in your area.

Note: none Mikrotik LTE devices currently support 4G+, which (seems it's a common consensus of using marketing BS) involves speeds exceeding "basic" 150/50 Mbps ... usually by using Carrier Aggregation (CA) which means simultaneous use of two different LTE cells operating in different frequency bands.

when a device becomes discontinued, can it still receive firmware updates?
Not really sure to what you refer with "firmware". There are two pieces of software running in a typical Routerboard: routerboot which gets run at boot time (with functionality similar to BIOS on PCs) and routeros which is then running all the time (with functionality similar to OS on PCs).

routerboot gets some updates from time to time, mostly immediately after release of new hardware. Which means that discontinued device won't likely see any update after it becomes discontinued.

routeros is updated all the time and support for discontinued devices gets dropped quite some time after devices get discontinued. Mostly with some major ROS version upgrade (last major ROS release is 6.x and came around in 2013. I expect some legacy devices might loose support with ROS 7 ... which is "right around the corner" for the last few years) which drops support for whole architecture family. I've found a presentation from 2013 Moscow MUM covering news in ROS v6 ... and according to that presentation no architecture lost support at that time.
BR,
Metod

danjde
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:38 pm

which means simultaneous use of two different LTE cells operating in different frequency bands
Ah, though!
A technical artifice, waiting for the 5G as it seems!

... and according to that presentation no architecture lost support at that time.
Again, interesting!

Thanks for your useful information!
Now I'm ready to start! ;-)

Davide

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:22 pm

which means simultaneous use of two different LTE cells operating in different frequency bands
A technical artifice, waiting for the 5G as it seems!
Not waiting for the 5G at all. Most newer LTE device chipsets support CA with at least 3 bands (even 5 is not extraordinary). Some devices support 4x4 MIMO in DL on higher frequencies. Altogether they support DL speeds exceeding 0.8 Gbps. Which, by commonly accepted "non-technical technical" definition, still doesn't qualify as 4G ("non-technical technical" definition requires that technology should allow 1 Gbps DL speed to qualify as 4G. Seemingly the "+" in 4G+ means "almost" :lol:
BR,
Metod

danjde
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:27 pm

Ah, fine! ;-)

Thanks!