Community discussions

MikroTik App

mañana
just joined
Topic Author

Wireless Wire (RBwAPG-60adkit) - Not working. Appreciate the help!

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:48 pm

Hey everyone,

First off, I really appreciate any insight this community can offer me. Same old story - trying to run internet out to my garage. Probably 100 feet. Didn't want to mess with a wire and found Mikrotik. Everything I've read (limited info) said it is pretty much plug and play.

Current Setup
  • Xfinity Router -> Ethernet Cord -> Wireless Wire Master (Mounted on Window Sill) - first floor

Straight shot - direct view to Slave Unit on 2nd floor.
My first problem is that I'm not sure the two units are connected/bridged. I try to log-in using the Microtik App on my phone and it won't connect. Tried the password with and without the dash, rechecked the IP, etc. (why would this be happening?) Second attempt - I downloaded Winbox for Mac and was able to get into the router via MAC address. As far as I can tell, the bridge's connection is saying like 7kbps... shouldn't that be higher?

This morning I checked Microtik app and the unit was "discoverable" (it hadn't been before) but when I tried to connect, it said "connection rejected".

What have I done wrong? How can I get these babies up and running? I'm at work but can post all the diagnostics I'm looking at when I get there.

THANK YOU!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wireless Wire (RBwAPG-60adkit) - Not working. Appreciate the help!

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 pm

Hmm I don't have these units so cannot be of much help.
Here is the wiki for manual setup but as warning states........
"Wireless Wire kit devices comes in pre-configured, connected pairs. Manual configuration is optional"

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/W60G

ON the product page, there is this quick start guide......
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/1539872799WirelessWire.pdf

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Wireless Wire devices come in pair pre-configured to work as bridges, so you connect master instance to the router and anything you connect to the slave instance works as it would have connected directly to the router. Admin password is on the sticker inside the bottom lid. By default they do not have IP-addresses, so you must login using winbox Discovery tab and MAC-address. If you see both of them on Discovery tab then they have connected successfully. To upgrade their software, for both devices, connect to the device, add DHCP client to the bridge, upgrade software (System -> Packages) and firmware (System -> Routerboard). You can see interface specific data under Wireless -> W60G tab and test speed between both ends using speedtest with admin’s password.
Last edited by kalamaja on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

mañana
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:33 am

Alright guys - I really appreciate the help.

Long story short - I've been able to (kinda) get into each unit but only when the slave unit is directly connected to my router (where the master is)....

I'm connecting these units and putting them 5ft, 25ft away from one another. The slave unit wont show up (if not connected to my router) and I can only sometimes log into the master using winbox.

Thanks for any advise.

kalamaja
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 am

They really "just work". You can see the link speed, alignment, signal, distance etc in Winbox from Wireless -> wlan60-1 -> Status tab or from command line:

[admin@MikroTik] > /interface w60g align wlan60-1
connected: yes
frequency: 58320
remote-address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
tx-mcs: 8
tx-phy-rate: 2.3Gbps
signal: 90
rssi: -50
10s-average-rssi: -49.2
tx-sector: 42
tx-sector-info: right 11.4 degrees, up 11.4 degrees
distance: 5.78m
tx-packet-error-rate: 0%

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:32 pm

I recently installed one of these Wireless Wire setups, straight from the supplier the 2 radios did not want to connect.

After logging in on each device, I noticed both were in "Bridge" mode, changed the slave to "Station-Bridge" then it connected.

Not sure if above is correct but my link is working now

mañana
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 am

finally got them to work... honestly not sure what the deal was but happy to say they're up and running.

Thanks for the help!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:37 am

finally got them to work... honestly not sure what the deal was but happy to say they're up and running.

Thanks for the help!
Well glad you got them up and running but your feedback is not helpful. What did you do to get them to work?
We need to be able to help the next person!!!