Community discussions

dervu
just joined
Topic Author

WAN VLAN tagging

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 am

I need to configure my hAP ac2 router for VLAN tagging on WAN port.
Can anyone explain me what is the simplest way to do it?
Do I need to just add VLAN interface and set it to eth1, add address for VLAN?
Do I need to make NAT rules set only to vlan1 or both eth1 and vlan1?
Do I need to change bridge that connects all LAN/WiFI with WAN from eth1 to vlan1?
Same about other firewall rules, do they need adjusting?

For now I have normal connection through second router, set to static address. Just need to be sure I have everything ok before switching to bridge mode on second router.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAN VLAN tagging

Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:54 am

Do I need to just add VLAN interface and set it to eth1, add address for VLAN?
It depends on how ISP delivers internet. If it's straight IP (with static IP address or DHCP served), then the way you wrote should work. If ISP delivers internet in some other way, you'll have to adapt (e.g. if you have to use PPPoE, then PPPoE client should run on the VLAN interface).
Do I need to make NAT rules set only to vlan1 or both eth1 and vlan1?
Same about other firewall rules, do they need adjusting?
If your router is running a recent default configuration, then the only change you have to do is to add the vlan interface to WAN interface list (in /interface list member). And possibly remove ether1 from the said interface list (and don't add it anywhere else). Everything you mention is by default working with menitoned interface list.
Do I need to change bridge that connects all LAN/WiFI with WAN from eth1 to vlan1?
Changing WAN from ether1 to vlan interface doesn't change a single bit about how LAN should be treated. So don't change LAN config unless you really know it should be done (basing on questions you posted you don't know that).
BR,
Metod

dervu
just joined
Topic Author

Re: WAN VLAN tagging

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 pm

It works. Added VLAN interface and set it to eth1, then added vlan1 as WAN to Interface List, disabled ether1 on that list. Added address in Addresses as vlan1 and disabled ether1 there too.