Community discussions

MikroTik App

alkampfer
just joined
Topic Author

How to properly reset router

Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Hi,

I've bought a Mikrotik Hex S Gigabit Ethernet Router and today I did a wrong configuration with the firewall, so I'm not able to access the router anymore through the web interface. So I decided to reset the router.

In internet I found many articles all regarding old version, my version has no need to push the button with a needle, because it has a reset button on the side of the router.

I've tried to remove the power cord, press reset button, then power on the device, releasing the reset button after 2 5 or 10 seconds. It seems that the router is doing something, but I'm not able anymore to access it with the classic 192.168.88.1 ip address, default ip after a reset.

Looking at my main modem/router I see that the microtik is connected and alive, but it has no IP, my computer gets an ip from main router, so it seems that the microtik is actually acting as a switch, or as transparent router... so I'm stuck.

What can I do?

Thanks for any helps you could give me.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to properly reset router  [SOLVED]

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:25 pm

The first thing you need to do is go to https://mikrotik.com/download and download Winbox.exe. Plug an ethernet cable between your computer ethernet and one of the LAN port on your HEX and run the program. I will probably find your router and provide you access by using the MAC address rather than an IP.

To reset you start with the power off and the button held in. Apply power while continuing to hold the button down. Count 5 seconds off and look for one of the LED's on the router to start flashing at 5 seconds then release the button. This will happen at 5-6 seconds.

Download the Quick Guide for your HEX and read the section on Buttons and Jumpers.

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: How to properly reset router

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Yes, the reset button should be pushed after power is applied and released when some of the LED starts to blink (~around 5 seconds).
However, there might be some modified default configuraiton on your router.

For such case bulletproof solution is Netinstall,
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:N ... Netinstall

alkampfer
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Thanks,

With winbox I was able to connect and indeed the router resetted to bridge mode, reconfigured everything and now I'm all green again.

Thanks a LOT!!!

Gian Maria.

pyeager
just joined

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 pm

I just received two RB750gr3 routers.

I screwed up configuring one, and needed to reset it.

Mikrotik might want to change the instructions dated 02 October 2019 if they haven't already. Those instructions say to hold the power button down, then apply power. This does not work to reset to factory defaults.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to reset the router by pressing reset *after* applying power.