I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct session, if not, please apologise me.
I'm writing here because I need to buy a Mikrotik device to use in my home network and I was not able to find any good info on how to choose the rigth one for me.
I work for aService Provider as a Networking specialist, so I know about the networking world but we never use mikrotik device (Only Cisco, HPE, Check Point and Fortinet but they are too expensive for a home network)
As attachment you can find a very basic layout of how I want my network to be.
- I have a server (ESX Host) at home, I want to be able to create different Vlans with different IP subnets for the different virtual server that I will use.
- The servers will not be published on the internet, people must be able to connect with a Client VPN from they PC (Only software on the remote site, no hardare device, not a Site-to-Site VPN)
- The router must be able to handle around 6 to 10 people connected at the same time via VPN
- I have a theoretical 100Mb/s internet connection, in reality it goes at around 40Mb/s, I wish to being able to use all or at least the major part of it for the VPN traffic (To be more clear, I don't want a device that is able to handle 50Mb/s troughput but only 10Mb/s of encrypted troughput, I want a device that is able to use all my bandwith for encripted traffic if necessary)
- I want to being able of have multiple profiles of VPN that allow access on different subnet (In Cisco is called "Split Tunnel" I do not know how is it called elsewhere. To be more clear: I will have different types of servers on the ESX Host, for example I will have "games" server on the "games" vlan and "development" server on the "development" subnet, I wish that friends who need to play games will only have access to games vlan and friends who need to access development server only access that vlan)
- Still refering to the point above, people must use their own connection to surf the internet, traffic must go trough the VPN tunnel only if is directed to the servers.
I think I have pointed out all of my needs.
Many thanks to anyone that will help me choose the rigth device.