Community discussions

MikroTik App

ryan74
just joined
Topic Author

Advice | Recommendation for new router

Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi

I am seeking advice / recommendation for a new router.
I previously had Mikrotik hEX lite RB750r2 with OpenWrt, which I bricked by mistake.
I am currently using Tenda AC18.

I am looking for a new router that will stay on Mikrotik RouterOS.
Router will be used for home setup.
Wired Devices - PC, Laptop, nVidia Shield TV, Blu-Ray Player, Smart TV, VOIP Phone.
Wireless devices 2GHz & 5GHz - 3x Cellphones, 2x Tablets, Laptop.
Wireless performance and range is not high priority.

Services - PPPoE, SQM QoS cake?, ipv6 tunnelbroker, upnp and ability to add/ customize further.
What to consider?
Option 1: New router with built in wifi?
Option 2: New router only + Tenda AC18 as wifi access point?
Option 3: New router + new wifi access point?

Please advise

Thanks

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Advice | Recommendation for new router

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:27 pm

The RB4011 is a monster router.........

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:32 pm

hAP ac / ac Pro if you want something smaller/cheaper

RB4011 if you want a beast of a router.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:43 pm

If you're happy with Tenda as wireless AP, then go with this option. As router look at either hEX (RB750Gr3) or, if you need the performance, RB4011iGS+RM (the wired-only model).
WiFi kinda sucks on newer RB devices, they don't really keep up with contemporary models of other manufacturers.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Services - PPPoE, SQM QoS cake?, ipv6 tunnelbroker, upnp and ability to add/ customize further.
What to consider?
Some are suggesting the RB4011 and Yes its a very nice Router that I also would recommend -- if you do consider the RB4011 just be aware of the following limitation:
The RB4011 does not support passive DAC modules, 1GB copper SFP modules and SFP GPON modules -- so with that in mind just make sure that if you plan on exploiting the SFP+ port on this model and your ISP is providing you with FTTH service confirm how you are going make this type of connection to work for you.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:30 pm

What to consider?
Some are suggesting the RB4011 and Yes its a very nice Router that I also would recommend -- if you do consider the RB4011 just be aware of the following limitation:
The RB4011 does not support passive DAC modules, 1GB copper SFP modules and SFP GPON modules -- so with that in mind just make sure that if you plan on exploiting the SFP+ port on this model and your ISP is providing you with FTTH service confirm how you are going make this type of connection to work for you.
Mozerd just to be clear with the SFP port and that is there is nothing wrong with using that port downstream on your network when matched/mated with the right components, not everybody or every situation assumes the sfp port is upstream to the provider???

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:05 pm

Mozerd just to be clear with the SFP port and that is there is nothing wrong with using that port downstream on your network when matched/mated with the right components, not everybody or every situation assumes the sfp port is upstream to the provider???
the whole point of SFP [+] port is to connect to your optical network and that usually means for most home users their ISP FTTH link using a ISP provided GPON ONT ... In the case of the RB4011 and for most Canadian USA providers that is not possible ... not sure about Providers in the EU or the Far East ... so in Canada/USA one would use a Media Converter FOR the ISP GPON ONT and from there via Ethernet to a Ethernet port on the RB4011. The RB4011 SFP port would then be utilized as a link to a compatible switch and treated as a LAN port.

IMO, MT made a big mistake in not making the SFP PORT on the RB4011 not compatible with the way Canadian/USA ISP’s implement PONs.

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:35 pm

the whole point of SFP [+] port is to connect to your optical network and that usually means for most home users their ISP FTTH link using a ISP provided GPON ONT ... In the case of the RB4011 and for most Canadian USA providers that is not possible ... not sure about Providers in the EU or the Far East ... so in Canada/USA one would use a Media Converter FOR the ISP GPON ONT and from there via Ethernet to a Ethernet port on the RB4011. The RB4011 SFP port would then be utilized as a link to a compatible switch and treated as a LAN port.

IMO, MT made a big mistake in not making the SFP PORT on the RB4011 not compatible with the way Canadian/USA ISP’s implement PONs.

Strange. Users in Russia have no problems using SFP modules with RB4011 like D-Link DPN-100 or Zisa OP151S. They are sourced from T&W Shenzhen Electronics. Easily recognizable by firmware starting as TW2362H-CDxx
In Canada, Bell company provides at least 2 Nokia and 1 Huawei to their customers. Are all of them affected?
What about the recent beta software version for RB4011? It supposedly fixed some 1GB auto-negotiation issues for SFP/SFP+ port.

mozerd
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Strange. Users in Russia have no problems using SFP modules with RB4011 like D-Link DPN-100 or Zisa OP151S. They are sourced from T&W Shenzhen Electronics. Easily recognizable by firmware starting as TW2362H-CDxx
In Canada, Bell company provides at least 2 Nokia and 1 Huawei to their customers. Are all of them affected?
What about the recent beta software version for RB4011? It supposedly fixed some 1GB auto-negotiation issues for SFP/SFP+ port.
Bell Canada has white-listed three PON transceivers made by Nokia, Huawei and Lucent-Allcatel -- all of which sync at 2.5Gbps -- its a very big hassle to get Bell to white list others. In the case of the RB4011 it will only sync at 10G or 1G. Insofar as the auto-negotiation issue is concerned I have not had the occasion to test this against the white listed devices BUT many others have with no success .... MikroTik have in an email to me stated that their SFP[+] modules only work at 1G or 10G. In the USA the very same situation exists insofar as the major PON providers. I am hoping that MT make the required firmware changes to enable effective PON auto-negotiation methods that better reflect market condition in Canada and the USA .. the RB4011 [excluding wireless] price point as it currently stands is excellent and it would be flying off the shelf if it did not have this lack of USA/Canadian PON compatibility. :D

Error0x29A
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:02 pm

I am hoping that MT make the required firmware changes to enable effective PON auto-negotiation methods that better reflect market condition in Canada and the USA .. the RB4011 [excluding wireless] price point as it currently stands is excellent and it would be flying off the shelf if it did not have this lack of USA/Canadian PON compatibility. :D

Let's hope this will happen sooner than later.
Some chinese made GPON Sticks are highly customizable, including data rate 1Gb/2.5Gb change, active and standby software version, model number etc. So, limited solutions do exist.

Polard55
just joined

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:40 am

Hi

I am seeking advice / recommendation for a new router.
I previously had Mikrotik hEX lite RB750r2 with OpenWrt, which I bricked by mistake.
I am currently using Tenda AC18.

I am looking for a new router that will stay on Mikrotik RouterOS.
Router will be used for home setup.
Wired Devices - PC, Laptop, nVidia Shield TV, Blu-Ray Player, Smart TV, VOIP Phone.
Wireless devices 2GHz & 5GHz - 3x Cellphones, 2x Tablets, Laptop.
Wireless performance and range is not high priority.

What to consider?

Please advise

Thanks
RB4011 is best, Highly recommended.