Community discussions

dirks
just joined
Topic Author

TX Sector Info - Alignment of RBwAPG-60ad

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am

Hi,

coming from ubnt hardware i've started now with my first mikrotik and 60ghz experience. So everything is new to me, please be kind :)

I've replaced a short 80 meter nanobeam 5ghz link with the RBwAPG-60ad kit and asking me now how to adjust those great and powerful antennas.

How to align them to the perfect way? At the moment TX Sector Info says: right 11.4 degrees, up 3.8 degrees. So i assume there is a big tilt. Don't get me wrong, the link already works perfect with a great troughput but i want to make it as good as possible.

The link signal is stable 90 and MCS is 8. My feeling says there should be a signal of 100 with highest MCS possible. There is a free LOS.

But due to my less experience with RouterOS and 60ghz and the not really adjustable mounting of the devices i'm asking you guys what should i expect from the link?
Please give me some input how to use RouterOS to make a perfect alignment.
Is there also some better mounting available to tilt and turn the devices in a better way?

Cheers
Dirk

dirks
just joined
Topic Author

Re: TX Sector Info - Alignment of RBwAPG-60ad

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:38 pm

So here i have more data now:

AP:
/interface w60g> monitor 0
connected: yes
frequency: 58320
remote-address: 04:D6:AA:A9:AD:60
tx-mcs: 8
tx-phy-rate: 2.3Gbps
signal: 90
rssi: -55
tx-sector: 27
tx-sector-info: center
distance: 88.7m
tx-packet-error-rate: 0%

Station:
/interface w60g> monitor 0
connected: yes
frequency: 58320
remote-address: 04:D6:AA:A8:0E:6B
tx-mcs: 8
tx-phy-rate: 2.3Gbps
signal: 90
rssi: -56
tx-sector: 34
tx-sector-info: right 11.4 degrees, up 3.8 degrees
distance: 88.71m
tx-packet-error-rate: 0%

I'm wondering that i'm in center on the AP side but tilted on the station side. If the alignment is not 100% good it can not be centered on any side.

Regards
Dirk

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 am

Hi Dirks,

The aerial for the WAP60AD is a 8x8 multi-sector array starting at top left 0 ending bottom right 63 (think in terms of a 8x8 grid or table) so sector 27 or 35 is roughly in the middle while sector 34 is meaning a little to the left and perhaps down a bit.

This is indicated in the client tx-sector info which indicates how you could turn the aerial to improve signal.

I use the Mikrotik QMP Quickmount Pro and mount the WAP60AD onto the optional round bracket with a pair of cable ties and use this to better align the aerial if required.

But Mikrotik tell me the idea of the aerial array is to imagine a pair of eyes looking left or right, up or down and they "auto-align". They are designed to work this way and not being perfectly aligned is acceptable. For me you do the best to align the devices then trust the Mikrotik engineers :-)

My experience with these has been very good (up to 200m) - just make sure you are running the latest Longterm Support version of RoS to get the best out of them.

Hope this was helpful..... :-)
MTCNA, MTCWE, MTCRE, MTCTCE, MTCSE, MTCINE, Trainer

dirks
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:48 am

Hi scampell,

yes you helped me a lot of understanding the devices! Thanks a lot! So i'm not that misaligned as i thought, which is great.

I also will give a try to the QMP, it is cheap and looks good. Didn't know anything about the auto-align functionality but seems to work good. I'm slightly tilted and the devices already have the full power and throughput.

Best regards
Dirk