Community discussions

MikroTik App

LewisB15
just joined
Topic Author

My NAT forwarding is working, but I don't know how!

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm

Every guide I see online says I need to put the external IP in General --> Dst. Address:

This doesn't work, and I can only get this working if the external IP is in Src. Address. Not a complaint, I just can't work out why it is working. Router is default config.

For context:
I want to access a server on my local network from my office network, which is the IP starting 93

cdiedrich
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: My NAT forwarding is working, but I don't know how!

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:47 pm

dst-address is meant to be the WAN address of your router the server is located behind. I assume the 93. address is the remote location, correct?
specifying a src-address surely adds some layer of security b/c the dst-nat will only happen when the connection is originated from this particular address.
-Chris

LewisB15
just joined
Topic Author

Re: My NAT forwarding is working, but I don't know how!

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:49 pm

dst-address is meant to be the WAN address of your router the server is located behind. I assume the 93. address is the remote location, correct?
specifying a src-address surely adds some layer of security b/c the dst-nat will only happen when the connection is originated from this particular address.
-Chris
Ah right, yes you are correct. The 93 address is the Office WAN IP, so remote in my case. So my current rule is saying: Anything that comes from IP address 93.x.x.x into the network on port 7272, is to be forwarded to 192.160.x.x on port 80.

Thanks for your explanation.