Community discussions

MikroTik App

lordmata
just joined
Topic Author

TP-Link router behind a MikroTik

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:34 am

I have a MikroTik CRS125-24G-115-RM which is connected to my modem directly and assigned a public IP. It's /30.
All my LAN devices are connected to the MikroTik via 2 Cisco switches. On a separate port I have a TP-Link router working in router mode and broadcasting two WiFi networks, public and private. The TP-Link has a built in guest network module so I'm using that to segregate the private and public WiFi. Both the switches and the TP Link are in the same bridge in the MikroTik config. TP-Link WAN is a static IP matching the bridge outside of the DHCP pool of the bridge.
The WiFi itself can be a little sluggish from time to time. There are no queues set up on the port where the TP-Link router is connected to and nothing is limiting the connection.
I've noticed that sometimes DHCP fails and I have to reboot the TP-Link and then everything works for a while. Sometimes the images don't load on the WiFi, or the connection tends to be very slow.
Is there anything on the MikroTik I need to setup to allow this TP-Link to work properly?

jamieereynoldss
just joined

Re: TP-Link router behind a MikroTik

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:25 am

Have you tried the most typical - restart routers? Or maybe the problem is that you use two switches at the same time (despite the fact that they are in the same bridge in the configuration), maybe this is the reason. You should also check the cable for integrity.
And tell me, what is the distance between the two switches? It should not be too big.

lordmata
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Have you tried the most typical - restart routers?
This is what I usually do and everything works for a while until it starts happening again-
Or maybe the problem is that you use two switches at the same time (despite the fact that they are in the same bridge in the configuration), maybe this is the reason. You should also check the cable for integrity.
I assume I would notice the same issues happening on the LAN, not just the WiFi. Cables are fine.
And tell me, what is the distance between the two switches? It should not be too big.
They're next to each other in the rack with the rest of the equipment.

Overall I was thinking I needed to add more priority to the port on the Mikrotik or something where the TP-Link router is, as I assumed the port will have more traffic than other ports and it's NAT-ing all the phones and laptops. Is there such a thing on Mikrotik, that you need to specify that there will be a lot of traffic and NAT happening on a specific port in the bridge?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Do you experience this too? Did you fix it? How?
Upgrade router to modern version of ROS (e.g. 6.47.4). Unless you're a troll, in that case keep running vulnerable version.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:25 pm

Not troll, spammers, all three, spam links hidden behind pictures of RB. Sneaky bastards. :)