Community discussions

MikroTik App

DjBR
just joined
Topic Author

hEX + Linksys E900 + D-Link DIR-615

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi. I'm new here. I recently acquired my new Mikrotik Routerboard hEX which I believe it is a wired only device.
What I will have to do is to configure it do get the PPPOE authentication and then it will fetch the ISP dynamic address.

The setup I have in my house looks like this:

ISP FIBER - ISP MODEM - E900 (wireless spot here) ------------ cat6 22m --------- SWITCH ........... Wireless Router as Wireless AP (another wireless spot) .... other wired PCs & wireless devices

With my new MTK, I plan to do the following:

ISP FIBER -> ISP MODEM - HEX (no wireless) ----------- cat6 22m --------------- switch ........ E900 (Wifi spot) ....... DIR 615 (Wifi spot) ...... wired PCs & wireless devices

I have seen tutorials on how to get the HEX going, with PPPOE, configuring WAN and LAN.
However, I am a bit confused about the wireless portion.
Since there will be one CAT6 cable coming out of the ETHER2 port and the Wireless is going to be fed by E900 and DIR615 and both hooked to the Switch, what is necessary to configure in HEX so that HEX will route the network to these two wireless routers? Do the routers stay in Bridge only mode and the wireless configuration done in them alone? Or do I have to configure the entire wireless stuff in HEX?

Well, I hope I have success in this configuration. (I haven't tried yet because the product is being on its way).
Thanks for any suggestions.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hEX + Linksys E900 + D-Link DIR-615

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:36 pm

leave the ap's in bridge. the wifi is configured on them. just make sure these have Ip's in the right range, as specified by hex

DjBR
just joined
Topic Author

Re: hEX + Linksys E900 + D-Link DIR-615

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:08 am

Many thanks for your help.
It worked really well.
Basically I just had to create a PPPoE link, DHCP server and DNS config.
Then I followed up some tutorials to secure the router.

If anyone can explain to me why the Wi-Fi kept going EVEN out of the IP range...... (perhaps because the DLINK was in repeater mode?) and the CISCO probably went down.
But wireless devices are bridged and now within the network range, fixed IPs.

Thank you.