Community discussions

xiaotuzi
just joined
Topic Author

Trying to get started with CAP and Vlan

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi,

After much testing and troubleshooting with CAP AC and VLAN and even CAPSman on my CCR, I decided to start from scratch and slowly build up my the CAP and see where it fails.
Now I have the CAP running with Vlans on a trunk port - next step will be to connect it to the CAPSman. However I have a question regarding bridging, to get my connection to work I have bridged the Wlans to ether1 as you can see below - but CAPSman creates its own wlans when I create new or change config, would it then be better that I just bridge all interfaces on the CAP or just all dynamic interfaces ?

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge interface=ether1
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan2
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan3-notagged
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan-Vlan10
add bridge=bridge interface=wlan-vlan20

Second question - today I have my regular lan on VLAN1, as far as I can see that is not always a good idea, would it be better to move that to another number and then only let 1 be management ?

ros44

Re: Trying to get started with CAP and Vlan

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:48 pm

It would help if you tell us your setup goal. I assume you want to have different SSID clients into different VLANs.

The easiest way for me is to reset the config of the CAP and select CAP mode. Then from the CAPsMAN menu in the datapath section for the specific SSID select local forwarding = yes, use tag and provide the VLAN ID. By doing this, the wlan interfaces that are created/managed by the CAPsMAN will be tagged according to what you configured.

Then, of course, provision the CAP. Then in order for this to actually work you have to configure the same VLAN IDs on the CAPs bridge and add the LAN port of the CAP as a tagged port for those VLANs.
Every moment something magical is happening!

xiaotuzi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Trying to get started with CAP and Vlan

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm

The setup goal is to have 1 or 2 CAP AC managed by Capsman on my CCR1009. They should mange different SSID's with Vlans.
Currently the CCR1009 is connected to a switch and the CAP is on a trunk port - so is the CCR.

I am almost there now I think, but somehow the CAPSMan doesn't "catch" the CAP even though the CAP actually get an IP from the CCR dhcp. I will look into the discovery interface, maybe I chose the wrong one :/