Community discussions

sve84
just joined
Topic Author

Change WAN interface on RouterOS - Hetzner Cloud + Networks

Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 am

Hi!
I've tried to find a solution to this, and hopefully it's something simple.
I am using Hetzner Cloud with their new Networks feature.
This means that the hypervisor assigns two NICs to a machine that belongs to a Network.
Nic 1 (ether1) is assigned a public IP address by DHCP.
Nic 2 (ether2) is assigned an internal IP address by DHCP, and it seems it has to be this way.

However, after installing Mikrotik RouterOS v6.45.3 on a machine with the above config, it seems to think that the ether1 interface (with the public IP address) is my LAN interface, at least it's on that interface that WebFig is available, even after enabling the ether2 interface (using dhcp-client) and rebooting.

The routes table, firewall table etc. are all empty.

What I'd like is for ether2 to be the LAN-interface (I know several answers states that there is no concept of WAN and LAN interfaces in RouterOS) and ether1 to be WAN (i.e. webfig NOT accessible on it). So webfig should be accessible on ether2.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Change WAN interface on RouterOS - Hetzner Cloud + Networks

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:08 am

All interfaces are equal, what you do with them is up to you. Also all router's services are available on all interfaces by default.

What exactly you mean by WebFig (not) being accessible? Do both dhcp clients work and do they get addresses they are supposed to get? From where are you connecting to them? Etc...
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

sve84
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks for the reply.
The interfaces get IP-addresses as expected.
What might cause some confusion is that the "LAN" interface gets an IP from the hypervisor DHCP, and also a gateway (192.168.10.1).
In the cloud console I need to configure the Hetzner Network to have a default route of 0.0.0.0/0 to the machine I want as a firewall.

Every client will go through the gateway (192.168.10.1) and from there be route to the machine set in the cloud console (the firewall).

Anyway, I will not pursue the RouterOS path right now, but will continue to use other software as firewall.

Best regards,
Sverker

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:25 am

Dhcp client has an option whether to add default route or not, so you can disable it for LAN interface.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.