Community discussions

geoffr98
just joined
Topic Author

GrooveAC - Can't connect to some sites

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:22 am

I have been using the Mikrotik groove for a couple weeks now at various marinas and anchorages and it's working great alongside our internal router (TP-Link). I have just arrived at a new Marina and for some reason the groove is not getting any IP address (my laptop and other devices can logon to the marina just fine) - any pointers in figuring out why? (They have a ubiquity set-up)

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: GrooveAC - Can't connect to some sites

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:35 pm

There are a lot things that can prevent a connection such as being too close to the marina AP or using too much power on your Groove.

What does the Status on the Quick Set page say while trying to connect. Does it change to "Connected to ess" while trying to connect or does it oscillate between "searching for Network" and "connected to ess"?

Go to WebFig and click on LOG in the left hand line of buttons. See if there is any information about the wireless connection.

geoffr98
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:12 am

Thanks for the reply on where to find the logs - next time I have problems I'll know to look there.

I selected a different AP (different MAC address, but same SSID) and was able to connect.. so not sure what the problem was.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:27 pm

It's not uncommon to find that an AP in a marina isn't functioning properly.

There is also a potential problem when there are multiple AP's with identical SSID. The Groove will choose the SSID with the strongest signal, not necessarily the one you selected. If 2 of the AP's have close signal strength the Groove can jump from one to the other as the signal strengths vary. This can prevent getting an IP. There is a Wireless "Station Roaming" setting that is by default enabled. I normally change this setting to "disabled" to prevent jumping from one AP to another.