Community discussions

davorin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

IPv6 PD

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Good afternoon

I just recently switched my cable line to business to get a fixed v4 IP range, and as they also provide a fixed v6 /48 range with PD I wanted to ask how the configuration should be...

The cable modem gets a fixed /48 prefix with automatic /60 prefix delegations...so each new device gets its own /60 prefix which the modem remembers in case of power loss...

So how do I configure RouterOS so it also delegates part from its /60 to the LAN side?
Or is it done automatically and supplies a /80 prefix out of the /60 onto the LAN side?

thanks in advance
richard

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 PD

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:21 am

It's not automatic, you need to configure it. Use DHCPv6 client to get prefix from upstream server, save it into pool, and then you can have DHCPv6 server delegating prefixes from that pool downstream. It would be best if you could take everything from modem a get whole /48 directly on RB. And /80 is "too small", only for "special" use, static or managed config (DHCPv6 giving out addresses, which RouterOS can't do yet). The basic standard is SLAAC (autoconfiguration) and it needs /64.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.