Community discussions

MikroTik App

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Change DDNS name (Mikrotik cloud)

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Hi, I'm glad Mikrotik gave us a free DDNS service, really useful. I read this guide:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Cloud#DDNS

Can I change the dns-name? IN the example there is this:
dns-name: 529c0491d41c.sn.mynetname.net

I'll never remember 529c0491d41c, I would like to use mycompanyname.sn.mynetname.net
Thank you!

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Change DDNS name (Mikrotik cloud)

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:59 pm

You can’t change it.

martinclaro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:09 am

You can't change the name but, if you have your own domain, you can point a CNAME record in your domain's DNS to point to 529c0491d41c.sn.mynetname.net .
;; ANSWER SECTION:
router.yourdomain.com.           179 IN    CNAME   529c0491d41c.sn.mynetname.net.
529c0491d41c.sn.mynetname.net.    13 IN    A       1.2.3.4

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 am

Thank you for your kind answer. I hope one day MIkrotik may enable the name editing, like ASUS does already for its routers. I don't see reasons to don't let us do it..

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:02 pm

That's for security reasons! Maybe I know your company name and I can attach you! But I don't think I will be able to get you router MAC Address to attach you!

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Thank you for your kind answer. I hope one day MIkrotik may enable the name editing, like ASUS does already for its routers. I don't see reasons to don't let us do it..

As far as I know, ASUS, etc uses things like DynDns, etc, and you are welcome to use those also on Mikrotik

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Unfortunately those DDNS services became all on payment, if not they will work for 30 days only, and after you have to confirm renovation by email. I love ASUS routers because you add any available DDNS and press save button, yes that's all! DO you want "mycomanyname.asuscomm.com"? if not already taken, please.. it's yours!
Sorry but I don't mind about attacks, there is nothing to attack, and who may guess that I have a router asus and I use its DDNS may aleady found my IP too, it's easier than guess.

DDNS is useful for me, to connect by VNC for example, videosurveillance, ecc. It should not be compulsory, who loves to have a "impossible to remember" string is welcome, but let me please chose :) thank you!

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 pm

You can still choose, if you want to do it for free, there is always No-IP DDNS service which is free.

You might not be concerned re security, but the next person is, and his IT knowledge may not be up to scratch, then he will also blame Mikrotik, so where do you draw the line?

I dont think there is anything wrong with the way Mikrotik handles this, and the choice is still there, for you to decide if you want to use the Mikrotik one, or other DDNS services

GiovanniG
Topic Author

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:13 am

I guess it became a political topic ))
On my point of view it's a really good useful feature to chose a name on Mikrotik cloud, I don't have to read it back somewhere to remember it. Asus does, and no one complained with them about, I guess too a Mikrotik router is enough protected to consider it safe.
If there any issue concerning it, you may add a warning note before confirm it and he will use it conscious on his "risk".

I really hope Mikrotik gives us this feature.
Thanks.

PS: NO-IP is for free only if you every 30 days confirming the domain, my clients won't do that at all, and for me to confirm all domains is not really comfortable. For this reason I'm buying Asus

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 am

I guess it became a political topic ))
Indeed.

... I guess too a Mikrotik router is enough protected to consider it safe.
Not exactly true all the time. The problem with Mikrotik is that router admin can do just anything, including f*ck up the firewall (if we dismiss the real possibility that there is some vulnerability in ROS allowing remote attacker to compromise otherwise securely configured Mikrotik).

PS: NO-IP is for free only if you every 30 days confirming the domain, my clients won't do that at all, and for me to confirm all domains is not really comfortable. For this reason I'm buying Asus
If you're a professional offering service to your clients, then you could establish a courtesy service for your clients: get yourself a domain (e.g. giovannig.net or something) and offer clients CNAME records, such as
mycompanyname.giovannig.net. IN CNAME 529c0491d41c.sn.mynetname.net.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Just grab a domain and stick a CNAME on it.

You can think of any funky name you want then or go for the pro looking option router.mydomain.com

gjp1000
just joined

Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:27 pm

what are you try to compare? Asus is the world's 5th-largest PC vendor by 2017 unit sales with a total brand value of $1.3 billion.