Community discussions

Mustava
just joined
Topic Author

Convert Wifi to Wired

Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:05 pm

Hello
I have a wifi network and want a device work as wireless bridge so i could join the device through wifi and convert it so i can provide other device with wired cables

what is the suitable device to do that
I'm new with the product and it'll be the first time to use it

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Convert Wifi to Wired

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Any wireless-capable Routerboard device will do. But: wireless bridge generally only works if devices on both ends of wireless link are made by same vendor. The reason is that there is no standard way of creating truly transparent wireless bridge and vendors created own proprietary extensions to work around this limitation. Needless to say that these extensions are not compatible between vendors.
As we're on Mikrotik forum: use a pair of Routerboard devices and you'll be fine.
BR,
Metod

erlinden
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:26 pm

I use my hAP AC Lite as travel router. Mostly using a wireless backhaul. Works perfectly, haven't had problems on connecting to any wireless network yet. So I fully disagree with @mkx (based on my experience).

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:34 pm

I use my hAP AC Lite as travel router. Mostly using a wireless backhaul. Works perfectly, haven't had problems on connecting to any wireless network yet. So I fully disagree with @mkx (based on my experience).
I suspect that is not the same thing what mkx is talking about, I suspect you are connecting as a wireless client, i.e. station and not "bridging" with wireless
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Indeed. It will work OK when you setup the AP as a client and do the normal NAT thing behind that, but when you configure it as a transperent bridge (i.e. your wired clients get their address from the existing wireless router's DHCP server) you will see interesting things happen. Certainly when there is more than one client on the wired side.