Community discussions

MikroTik App

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Remote update hAP lite

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:10 am

Is there a way to update hAP lite (regular update failed because of known memory space issue) without on-site netinstall ?
Thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Remote update hAP lite

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:15 am

You can try to uninstall packages not needed, it might save enough space for upgrade to succeed.

If it doesn't help, then netinstall is the only way.

kristsd

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:43 am

Two options -
1. Removing packages
2. Save configuration somewhere to later apply it. Remove config from device. ( make sure to save IP address and route to be able to connect to the device remotely ), Make sure "/file" is clear and then
make a reboot twice, and you will be able to download .npk package and install it.
- restore config.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm

As main package is a bundled package, I cannot unnstall single unneeded package so kristsd solution #2 worked for me, but:

cannot remove directly entire configuration as hap lite is connected via l2tp/ipsec tunnel generated by itself.
I had to connect to a local PC winbox via teamviewer or similar, delete all files, delete RB config, issue a reset config/no_default config, reboot twice, free space is still the same but copying new .npk into RB and reboot causes routerboard to update succesfully.
Restored config all is working OK

The question is: will next updates provide the same issue , or next update packages will be smaller in size/packages content ??

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:49 pm

i suggest the following procedure:

make backups

try disabling hotspot and wireless package to free ram memory, then reboot to leave the device "fresh" (max free memory available)

only copy the packages needed to establish the remote connection in your case maybe system, ppp, security, and do the upgrade to new version

then upgrade base firmware in system ---> routerboard ---> upgrade and reboot

when upgraded successfully then add the needed packages only and restore the missing parts of your config

in some cases i have success restoring .backup on updated device if the needed packages are present

this can be specially problematic with hotspot configurations and complex wireless configurations, but is the only way i have found to upgrade remote hap lite and hap mini devices

a hassle procedure derived from scarce storage and ram memory (16mb of storage and 32mb of ram)

i think this problem are worsen with every new version, you can see the free storage and ram memory with each version is reduced

i think maybe is the price to pay to have so cheap routeros devices (half the price of 64mb of ram devices)

the long term solution is to replace hAP-Lite with hAP (full version) and hAP-mini with mAP, then you have 64mb of ram to make upgrades without problem

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Please explain : should I disable (I cannot uninstall) all packages and copy only desired ones and reboot to have just the copied one filling hdd space ?
What happens to old disabled ones ? Would they becomes available to uninstall ?
Goal is obviously to have more free space (hdd not ram , this is already 8,9MB free over 32MB )
But I noted , updating 6.45.1 to 6.45.6 (with procedure previously posted) routeros-smips.npk 6.45.6 loaded and running into storage is still a bundled package and each of its single package is NOT uninstallable , resulting in the same identical amount of free HDD space (7.6MiB) vs total hdd size (16MiB) .

Would future packages contain less single package (i.e. mpls, hotspot etc) to have a smaller .npk thus freeing up more HDD space ?

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Please explain : should I disable (I cannot uninstall) all packages and copy only desired ones and reboot to have just the copied one filling hdd space ?
What happens to old disabled ones ? Would they becomes available to uninstall ?
Goal is obviously to have more free space (hdd not ram , this is already 8,9MB free over 32MB )
But I noted , updating 6.45.1 to 6.45.6 (with procedure previously posted) routeros-smips.npk 6.45.6 loaded and running into storage is still a bundled package and each of its single package is NOT uninstallable , resulting in the same identical amount of free HDD space (7.6MiB) vs total hdd size (16MiB) .

Would future packages contain less single package (i.e. mpls, hotspot etc) to have a smaller .npk thus freeing up more HDD space ?
you have to download all packages pack

for example

https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 6.44.5.zip

unzip it and you will fin each nkp of each package individually, then you can copy only the needed to upgrade

off course the packages you don't copy don't will be installed or available, that's the objective have the possibility of install or uninstall them to free resources

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 am

OK understood.
Meanwhile, I have it updated to latest 6.45.6.npk whithout space issues, fingers crossed.....

kristsd

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:32 am

i suggest the following procedure:

make backups

try disabling hotspot and wireless package to free ram memory, then reboot to leave the device "fresh" (max free memory available)

only copy the packages needed to establish the remote connection in your case maybe system, ppp, security, and do the upgrade to new version

then upgrade base firmware in system ---> routerboard ---> upgrade and reboot

when upgraded successfully then add the needed packages only and restore the missing parts of your config

in some cases i have success restoring .backup on updated device if the needed packages are present

this can be specially problematic with hotspot configurations and complex wireless configurations, but is the only way i have found to upgrade remote hap lite and hap mini devices

a hassle procedure derived from scarce storage and ram memory (16mb of storage and 32mb of ram)

i think this problem are worsen with every new version, you can see the free storage and ram memory with each version is reduced

i think maybe is the price to pay to have so cheap routeros devices (half the price of 64mb of ram devices)

the long term solution is to replace hAP-Lite with hAP (full version) and hAP-mini with mAP, then you have 64mb of ram to make upgrades without problem
This solution works if you have installed the packages separately before. Disabling bundled package won't be possible in his case.
Also if packages has been installed separately, disabling some of them - will help with upgrade but it clears NAND space. Packages does not save to RAM memory.
I suggest the option with backing up the device before clearing the device "files" and some config ( so you can still access it remotely ) and rebooting twice( one reboot does not clear cache and leaves some stuff on the device, second reboot somehow clears it ) - and installing the new .npk
New RouterOS versions also has removed some packages so upgrading would be easier and such requirements would not be required to upgrade the device.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:36 am

I was able to update a pair of hap-lite by connecting to local remote desktop and run the save-clear-restore cfg tasks.

There are a pair more that have no pc on their lan and worse, they are routers managing internet connection, so configuration cannot be erased.
latest .npk file can be succesfully uploaded manually to devices but maybe no space is left to complete update operation (after reboot they came back with the same version).

Any suggestion more to free up some space ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:08 pm

latest .npk file can be succesfully uploaded manually to devices but maybe no space is left to complete update operation (after reboot they came back with the same version).
You should check the log about the reason for router not performing the upgrade.

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:22 pm

22:16:20 system,info installed routeros-smips-6.45.6 
22:16:20 system,error not enough space for upgrade 
22:16:21 system,info router rebooted 
:(

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 am

Ok , tedious thread...
anyway, is it possible to erase config , and automatically restore config via script after reboot AND update has been done ?
but probably script takes disk space, so.....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:22 am

The issue with not enough space has been fixed in newer versions, but to get to the new version, you will have to use Netinstall

ik3umt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:57 am

The issue with not enough space has been fixed in newer versions, but to get to the new version, you will have to use Netinstall
Well, I love this clear answers ! :D
So on-site trip is scheduled !
Thank you Normis.