Community discussions

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Link Router and Switch and administrate together with WinBox

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:03 am

Dear all,

I am a newbie to this forum and did not find an answer to my question. Hope you can help me.

I already have a Mikrotik Router (Cloud Router Switch CRS328-24P-4S+RM) which works really well. I have configured all firewall rules, VLANs, etc.

Now, I need more ports and I want to expand my available ports. So I plan to buy a new Mikrotik device, e.g. Cloud Smart Switch - CSS326-24G-2S+RM.

My questions are:

Can I link these two devices (with SFP cable) and administrate all "combined" settings (VLANs, Firewall, DHCP...) with the current Router Winbox GUI? Or do I have two separate GUIs and have to synchronize all settings manually?

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance,
Flo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Link Router and Switch and administrate together with WinBox

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:26 am

You will have to administer devices separately. Even more, CRS runs RouterOS (which you already experienced) while CSS runs SwitchOS ... and SwitchOS can only be administered using web-based GUI, you can't do it using winbox.
BR,
Metod

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:47 am

D'oh. This is not very User-/Administrator-friendly.

That means I have to configure all VLANs and so on twice? Do I configure tagged/untagged VLAN settings on the Switch for every single port?

What about DHCP? Only the router will hopefully handle DHCP service.

Regards,
Flo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Yes, you'll have to configure CSS separately (as if your CRS didn't exist). While I don't have any personal experience with SwitchOS, it seems to have relatively simple webUI which allows to set up everything switch can do.
And CSS will act as a switch, so no fancy L3 features there (that includes DHCP server and what not).
BR,
Metod

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:18 pm

OK. Thanks a lot

k6ccc

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

What you are asking about is very similar to what I am doing. The only difference is that I am using my routers (a RB750r2 and a RB750Gr3) exclusively as routers - no switching at all. Each LAN or VLAN has only one port on the router (may be a dedicated LAN port, or may be a VLAN trunk port). All the ports directly connect to a CSS326 switch. I do routing in routers and switching in switches.
Yes, as previously answered, SwitchOS is administered in a web interface. Some people don't like that, but I have no issues with it - I have five SwitchOS devices on my expanded home network. Setting up VLANs in SwitchOS in easy to do - If I remember right, my data cabinet switch has 17 VLANs.
Oddly enough, this past weekend, I had an immediate need for another VLAN aware switch, and the only thing I had in stock was a RB750r2 and I needed to learn how to make a RouterOS device operate exclusively as a switch.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for your answer.

Today, I'll get the new Mikrotik switch. I have one more question:

What options do I have to linke these two? Only SFP+? Or can I use a LAN port to link these two devices and how do I tell RouterOS to do so?

Hope you understand my question?

Regards,
Flo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:48 am

You can use any interface to interconnect both devices (or even use more than one in a LACP bond). However, if you use RJ45 port, it'll be 1Gbps, if yu use SFP+ port, it can be 10Gbps (depending on modules/cable used).

How to configure it in ROS? The interconnection port should be one of switched ports of same bridge as is used for handling of LAN traffic so that things happen wire-speed. If you use VLANs, be careful to properly configure tagged VLANs to be extended via new switch.
BR,
Metod

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks mkx,

does that mean I'd have to assign all VLANs that are used on the switch as "Tagged VLAN" for this port on the router?

I thought there is any configuration to mark this port as "special uplink" port? Where do I assign an IP for the new switch so that it will be accessible for Web GUI management?

Thanks a lot for your support!

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi again,

I just got my new switch and an SFP+ cable :-). So, I linked the router (CRS328-24P-4S+RM) with my new switch (CSS326-24G-2S+RM). They are linked by SFP+1 port and LEDs show a green light -> Seems okay.

Now, I am wondering how I can access the web interface of the new switch?

What I've done:

- Added SFP+1 port to my LAN bridge
- I created a "Backbone" VLAN
- Set up new DHCP config (pool, address, ...) for this new VLAN
- Set SFP+1 port as untagged port of this new VLAN

I do not get an IP for this device?

Am I wrong? What do I have to do to access the new switch?

Hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Flo

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 pm

You might want to open new topic in SwOS section to get some advice about that.
BR,
Metod

floriank
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm

OK. I just opened a new topic in the SwOs section. Thx for your help