Community discussions

rebelyell
just joined
Topic Author

Help to identify the correct products to buy (home net)

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi there,
I'm going to upgrade my house network to something more structured (basically I need VLANs, QoS for gaming, VPN client/server). I would like to start using Mikrotik and RouterOS. I would like some help to define which products to buy. Please find attached a very ugly network layout of what I'm trying to manage.

SWITCH X: CRS326-24G-2S+RM ?
SWITCH Y: a router board or CRS112-8G-4S-IN ?
SWITCH Z: CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN ?

And what about Access points? I would like a seamless network switchover with mobile devices and more than one WLAN. Is that possible?

What are the differences between switches with routing capabilities and router boards? Sorry for the noob question, I'm only an hobbyist :)

My DSL line is 20/1 (that's why I need QoS). Looking to upgrade to a WiMax ISP provider 100/10.
My LTE line is 50/30 but is not stable so I think I'll terminate the contract.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help to identify the correct products to buy (home net)

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm

My 2 cents:
  • consider using fibre connection between building A and building B. It's not only because 70m is quite a long stretch for anything higher than 1Gbps. Using fibre makes your investment future proof ... and resilient to any over-voltage effects that are about to happen (it's not question about if, it's question about when)
  • for price reasons as well as being future proof, do use separate devices for Switch Y and main router. In addition, CRS are switches with relatively low capacity all-purpose CPU ... while it is possible to use them as routers, they won't perform anywhere near wirespeed when routing.
  • CRS series are nice switches and models you wrote as first guess sound mostly sensible. However, CRS326 (for switch X) features 10Gbps SFP+ ports while CRS112 (for switch Y) features 1Gbps (SFP) ports. You might want to choose a switch supporting 10Gbps SFP+ interface for switch Y. There isn't a CRS device with just the right number of RJ45 ports and with SFP+ ports, but you might consider CSS326-24G-2S+RM ... it has exactly the same switching functionality as CRS counterpart, but the price is even friendlier.
  • for main router, I'd recommend RB750Gr3 (wired only), has decent performance and should be fine up to some 200-400 Mbps of routing capacity (note that it'll do also inter-VLAN routing if there will be some, not only internet). If you expect that WiFi will be handy at that location, you can go for RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC which is a very decent router as well, plus it features both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz wireless.
    If you want some high-speed inter-VLAN routing, then you need some router with 10Gbps SFP+ interface, RB4011 (either wired-only or wireless model) would be nice choice.
  • for access points ... MikroTik offering is not the strongest in field of wireless currently. If you're after high-performing wireless, you want to look at some other vendors. If mediocre performance is fine with you (thats a few 100 Mbps over wireless close to AP), then choose any model offering 802.11ac (according to new naming scheme that's WiFi5) and select according to WAF (wife acceptance factor). If WAF is important, then you'll want to use PoE powering of those APs and then you might to consider switches with PoE out capability ... or use passive PoE injectors if the aesthetics of switch whereabouts is not of primary concern).
CSS series don't run ROS but rather SwOS. That's nothing to worry about, SwOS still lets use all of switching capabilities of the device, only management is different (some would say it simpler, but only web GUI is available).
BR,
Metod

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:59 pm

[*]for main router, I'd recommend RB750Gr3 (wired only), has decent performance and should be fine up to some 200-400 Mbps of routing capacity (note that it'll do also inter-VLAN routing if there will be some, not only internet). If you expect that WiFi will be handy at that location, you can go for RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC which is a very decent router as well, plus it features both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz wireless.
Why not the hAP AC2? Cost a (very) little more - but has more CPU, a better switch chip, more routing power and You can always turn off the wireless part.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 pm

If you expect that WiFi will be handy at that location, you can go for RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC which is a very decent router as well, plus it features both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz wireless.
Why not the hAP AC2? Cost a (very) little more - but has more CPU, a better switch chip, more routing power and You can always turn off the wireless part.
RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC is hAP ac2 ...
BR,
Metod

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm

If you expect that WiFi will be handy at that location, you can go for RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC which is a very decent router as well, plus it features both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz wireless.
RBD52G-5HacD2HnD-TC is hAP ac2 ...
My mistake, got the wrong number... :D