Community discussions

MikroTik App

ret60sp
just joined
Topic Author

Help! How do I delete dynamic DNS servers?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:26 pm

I’m a retired US Army helicopter pilot and I have a number of pieces of Mikrotik equipment in my residential home network. I like the products because of their build quality and customization. I have a streaming problem though and there are not very many folks here in the US that know anything about RouterOS. Everyone here in the United States that I call all tell me that they "typically don't do residential small jobs..." Can anyone help?

I recently bridged our ISP’s modem and this killed the ability to plug in our MagicJack VOIP into the ISP router to have VOIP at home. After much searching and coming up with nothing, I called Butch Evans in Memphis and was lucky enough to catch him on the road driving somewhere. In less than 30 seconds after describing the problem, he directed me to the SIP in the firewall (using Winbox), told me to turn it off and see if that cured the problem. It did. MagicJack works perfectly now.

The next challenge is something really odd and I think one of you might know how to crack this nut for me:

We have Roku devices and Hulu accounts connected to our RB3011UiAS router. The smart TV’s with widgets will stream CBS All Access occasionally, but trying to stream CBS All Access through a Roku or Fire stick ends with it being "unable to connect through the network". I cannot figure out why streaming CBS All access through my RB3011 is a problem. Can you help or direct me to someone who could help me tweak this configuration?

I'm proficient with Winbox. I follow instructions well. I'm willing to pay for the help!

Thanks!

Don Francis

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help! How do I delete dynamic DNS servers?

Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 pm

How do you get internet from your ISP?
If you use PPPoE client then uncheck use peer DNS
In case you use a dhcp client do the same as well
Then set your own DNS servers under IP dns

Also you can send to your client devices through dhcp server whatever dns you want..

ret60sp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:15 am

Ok, where do I find that checkbox in Winbox? I couldn't find it under IP

ret60sp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 am

How do you get internet from your ISP?
If you use PPPoE client then uncheck use peer DNS
In case you use a dhcp client do the same as well
Then set your own DNS servers under IP dns

Also you can send to your client devices through dhcp server whatever dns you want..
I have a static ip that I get from my ISP through a bridged router/modem. I can't find a checkbox that has anything to do with "peer DNS".

DHCP Client is grayed out with a status of "stopped"

I did set my own DNS servers but it shows "Servers" and "Dynamic Servers". I want to get rid of the "Dynamic Servers".

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Help! How do I delete dynamic DNS servers?  [SOLVED]

Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:14 am

The router is picking up DNS servers in a dynamic way from *somewhere*. You've checked your DHCP-Client so that is one place checked off.
Is there a pppoe_out1 client is similar? That has the ability to add dynamic servers. Also check for VPN client's which may also be adding in DNS.

Your MikroTik is gettign an IP somehow from the bridged modem, whether that is by a DHCP client or some other form of IP magic only YOU can show or tell us that by sharing some of your config.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:12 pm

To disable the DNS if you have a dhcp client in your wan interface
ip dhcp-client set use-peer-dns=no numbers=0
In case you have a PPPoE Client then in Dial Out tab make sure "User Peer DNS" is unchecked

To send whatever DNS you want to your Client then in DHCP Server -> Networks -> DNS Servers box type in the DNS you want.
Also in IP -> DNS Settings enter the router's DNS.

ret60sp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 pm

The router is picking up DNS servers in a dynamic way from *somewhere*. You've checked your DHCP-Client so that is one place checked off.
Is there a pppoe_out1 client is similar? That has the ability to add dynamic servers. Also check for VPN client's which may also be adding in DNS.

Your MikroTik is gettign an IP somehow from the bridged modem, whether that is by a DHCP client or some other form of IP magic only YOU can show or tell us that by sharing some of your config.
Steve and ALL - The solution was indeed in the Interface. Dig through:
Interfaces
Interface List
Interface
pppoe-out1
Dial Out - then uncheck "Use Peer DNS"

I then had to change the "Default Route Distance" from 0 to "1" to get anything to resolve DNS.

Since I have DNS enabled on the router, should I add the router IP address to the:
IP
DNS Settings
Servers (The list now has two public DNS servers shown)

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Since I have DNS enabled on the router, should I add the router IP address to the:
IP
DNS Settings
Servers (The list now has two public DNS servers shown)
Absolutely not!
IP>DNS setting is to tell the router what DNS server you want IT to contact for name resolution and caching if you choose.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Great it works... you can mark the post as solved...

ret60sp
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:12 pm

Great it works... you can mark the post as solved...
Yes! I agree this one is SOLVED. (Who marks it "solved"?)

Thanks to you ALL

On to my next challenge.... you guys are GREAT!

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:25 pm

I am a USAF veteran that also loves Mikrotik products. It sounds like you have the same setup I have in place in my home with the exception of the ISP. I am blessed with a solid 500mb x 50mb cable connection. If you are interested in sharing communications with a fellow Mikrotik user please contact me. dpillow@msn.com

jterry801
just joined

Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 am

I am having the same issue. I have a couple of IPV6 addresses that are showing up in the Dynamic Servers section of my configuration. Try as I might I have checked all things mentioned in all the posts I have found regarding the issue, but to no avail. I was using the latest test version of Router OS (6.47beta60), using DNS over https, when this happened. I have even reloaded the stable release (6.46) and can not get rid of the Dynamic-Servers! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

erkexzcx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm

If anyone is using some sort of VPN provider and you connected your router to it, go to

IP --> IPsec --> Mode Configs

Then open up your mode config that you are using for your VPN provider, change "Use responder DNS" from "exclusively" to "No". Kill active connection (it will reconnect within few seconds) and your dynamic DNS is gone. :)

HB1
just joined

Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:57 am

Hi,

I have the same issue I try to use opendns servers to filter adult/unwanted internet contents and I suspect the dynamic servers are my root cause so it isn't working via ipv6.

If I completely turn off ipv6 and only ipv4 available opendns is working properly.

Use peer DNS is switched off in my pppoe connection but somehow I got it.

I have an IPS modem with bridged status and I use ND not ipv6 dhcp server in my network.

ip dns print
servers:208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220,2620:119:53::53,2620:119:53::53
dynamic-servers: 2a01:368:a::2,2a01:368:a::1

/interface pppoe-client print
Flags: X - disabled, I - invalid; R - running
0 R name="pppoe-out1" max-mtu=auto max-mru=auto mrru=disabled interface=ether1-WAN user="xxx" password="xxx" profile=default keepalive-timeout=10 service-name="" ac-name="" add-default-route=yes default-route-distance=1
dial-on-demand=yes use-peer-dns=no allow=pap,chap,mschap1,mschap2

/ipv6 dhcp-client print detail
Flags: D - dynamic; X - disabled, I - invalid
0 interface=pppoe-out1 status=bound duid="0x000300012cc81b669227" dhcp-server-v6=fe80::d05d:a9b9:c343:430d request=address,prefix add-default-route=no use-peer-dns=no dhcp-options="" pool-name="PPPoE_IPV6_DHCP_Pool" pool-prefix-length=64
prefix-hint=::/0 dhcp-options="" prefix=2a01:36d:3200:8f::/64, 6d17h6m33s address=2a01:36c:4500:8f:a49a:fa38:0:11, 6d17h6m33s

Anybody has an idea how can I remove dynamic dns servers?

I'm running on latest stable 7.13.3

Thank you in advance