Community discussions

MikroTik App

nfored
just joined
Topic Author

Very high latency on CHS with P10 trial.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:00 am

I wanted to get a feel for how MT router in my environment would look and if it would solve a problem I had. So before buying the 4011 the people on this forum helped me decided on I decided to spin up CHR in my esx cluster. I created 1 interface per VLAN having this in the path seems to add around 300ms of latency

Before we start diving into my esx cluster this same cluster has F5 VE's running acting as a gateway for some devices. So the flow looks like this. PC - Switch - Switch - FW - SWITCH - SWITCH - ESX (F5) . I see almost no added latency with this setup compared to this flow PC - Switch - Switch - FW - Switch - Switch - PC. So while I won't 100% say the ESX network is perfect It seems to be able to handle packets at low latency.

I have no firewall rules, 1 static route 0/0 going out to the firewall so I could get my license. I have no bridging and maybe this is my problem? I have no fast path as looking at the docs that's not supported in CHR. This CHR VM has 8 cores at 2.4ghz and 16GB of ram, and runs off an NVME drive locally on the host. I migrated all vms that might cause disk io off before this test and this is never done for the F5 VE's that are on another host. So all the advantages I could give to this vm I have.

I have run the following two tests and the second one is very odd to me as the CHR should NOT be involved.

Test #1
Wireless host on vlan 103 to wired host on vlan 102 both host manually set to use CHR as their gateway no other settings changed. Ping avgs 600ms
Remove CHS put the gateway back to the hardware firewall ping avgs 250-380ms.

Test #2
wireless host on vlan103 wired host on vlan103 manually set gateway again to CHR nothing else changed. 600ms avg
change gateway on wired host back to hardware firewall 3 pings lost during network reload 600ms avg
change gateway on wireless host back to hardware firewall 5 pings lost during network reload 300ms avg

For test #2 I never stopped the ping never changed anything other than the gateway. Any thoughts welcome.

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Very high latency on CHS with P10 trial.

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Something is definitely off - we don't normally see high latency in the CHR like that.

Have you licensed it with a trial license? If not it's restricted to 1 Mbps throughput and that can def cause latency

nfored
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:18 am

I changed config to a single trunked port broke that to vlans, then added the vlans to a bridge and get slightly better but still off results. So it goes several pings low then climbs then stays high for several pings then starts over.
Screenshot_20191009-181126_Network Analyzer.jpg
Screenshot_20191009-181121_Network Analyzer.jpg
15706629989346764654669552280015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nfored
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 am

I did some more testing and I am starting to think this is not an issue with the CHR. I think I have a bad AP, doing more testing I was able to replicate the issue with the hardware firewall with my device connected to a different AP. I got lead to this by decided to see what wired to wired testing was and the added latancy was maybe 0.100ms maybe and that would be expected because of the extra switch hops to get to the vm infrastructure.

So is my current setup the recommended as this replicates what I will get with the 4011. One 10g interface with multiple vlans in that interface, and then add all those vlans to a bridge, and then on the rb4011 enable fast path.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:51 am

I think I have a bad AP, doing more testing I was able to replicate the issue with the hardware firewall with my device connected to a different AP.

You never mentioned using wireless in your previous posts (although you did indicate the packet flow but obviously it was missing some hops).

1st rule of network testing: never ever rely on results when wireless is involved ... unless it's the wireless hop being tested. Always try to test with reliable wires and reduce number of hops to lowest number possible.