Community discussions

apetrov1x5
Topic Author

CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,

I started using the CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC and from the description it seemed to me that combo port should be used as WAN from ISP, but I can't figure out how to set it up so that the connection from my ISP would come to that combo port so that I can use the remaining ethernet 1-7?

At the moment I only managed to use eth1 connector for getting internet from ISP and the remaining 6 eth connectors are used for my local network. What I would prefer though is to have ISP connect to ethernet part of my combo port, so that I am left with 7 ethernet connection from CCR.

Is this doable please?

BTW, for what it's worth the declared 100Mb SFP compatibility did not work at all in my case (I am getting 100Mb fiber connection from my ISP) that is why I had to use a media convertor which takes one ethernet port from CCR :(.

I contacted Mikrotik support about SFP compatibility and they replied that only 3 types of SFP have been tested to work on CCR1009...do your homework before you buy it, as in my case I shouldn't have bought it if I knew it will not work with my ISP fiber network

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:04 pm

You are free to use any port or multiple ones for your WAN connection.
That depends only on how you configure the router.

As it is clearly stated in the wiki, only combo port accepts 100mb sfp modules, so even if it worked you wouldn't get any additional free ethernet ports: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... iber_links

mozerd
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 pm

started using the CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC and from the description it seemed to me that combo port should be used as WAN from ISP, but I can't figure out how to set it up so that the connection from my ISP would come to that combo port so that I can use the remaining ethernet 1-7?
You should be able to use the SFP+ or the combo port as you wish but for some reason IT’s compatibility with many ISP GPON’s is not there yet because of reasons that are a real mystery to me and many others especially in the USA/Canada spheres.

You can use any remaining ports but because there is no switch chip for port bridging the remaining ports to creat a LAN’s would not work to your advantage because you would not get any form of acceleration since they would be highly dependent on the CPU. You can attached switches to each port and treat them as independent LANs and in that way you get the benefit of inter-LAN acceleration. Many other methods are available that include vlans that also require external switches. The Power of the CCR Routers is their ROUTING performance and when combined with external switches one gets a great deal of POWER.

apetrov1x5
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:40 pm

You are free to use any port or multiple ones for your WAN connection.
That depends only on how you configure the router.

As it is clearly stated in the wiki, only combo port accepts 100mb sfp modules, so even if it worked you wouldn't get any additional free ethernet ports: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... iber_links
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I do understand that if combo port would accept my SFP module I would not be able to use the ethernet part of the combo port - this is obvious. However, if I could use my SFP from the combo port, I would not need to run a ethernet cable from my media convector to my CCR1009 - at the moment this is the only way for my to covert the fibre optics into ethernet via media convertor. Thus ethernet 1 port (out of 7) is used for the internet input. What I wanted to achieve is to bring the internet into combo1 port therefore all remaining 7 ethernet ports will be free for my local network.

apetrov1x5
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 pm

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1200_.jpg

here is a image of the ports of my router, I know there are more than 1 CCR1009 model, maybe they are different somehow, I don't know...

apetrov1x5
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 pm

started using the CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC and from the description it seemed to me that combo port should be used as WAN from ISP, but I can't figure out how to set it up so that the connection from my ISP would come to that combo port so that I can use the remaining ethernet 1-7?
You should be able to use the SFP+ or the combo port as you wish but for some reason IT’s compatibility with many ISP GPON’s is not there yet because of reasons that are a real mystery to me and many others especially in the USA/Canada spheres.

You can use any remaining ports but because there is no switch chip for port bridging the remaining ports to creat a LAN’s would not work to your advantage because you would not get any form of acceleration since they would be highly dependent on the CPU. You can attached switches to each port and treat them as independent LANs and in that way you get the benefit of inter-LAN acceleration. Many other methods are available that include vlans that also require external switches. The Power of the CCR Routers is their ROUTING performance and when combined with external switches one gets a great deal of POWER.
Yes, I gave up on SFP port implementation by mikrotik and purchased a media convertor which converts ? my fiber optics signal into simple 100mb ethernet which I then plug into second from the left port, marked eth1 on the image above.

My question is, how to make the first left eth port (marked eth, or the ethernet part of the combo1 port if you wish) work as a input from my media convertor?

At the moment I have input coming into eth1 port (second from left ethernet port) and I am left with only 6 ports (eth2-eth7).

xvo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 pm

What I wanted to achieve is to bring the internet into combo1 port therefore all remaining 7 ethernet ports will be free for my local network.
You can do that.
But you need to move all existing "wan" config from eth1 to combo1.
For reference do an /export in terminal and look for all the places where eth1 occur.
Even better way would be to drop default configuration at all and configure the whole router from scratch, but that's only if you have at least some basic mikrotik experience.

apetrov1x5
Topic Author

Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 pm

What I wanted to achieve is to bring the internet into combo1 port therefore all remaining 7 ethernet ports will be free for my local network.
You can do that.
But you need to move all existing "wan" config from eth1 to combo1.
For reference do an /export in terminal and look for all the places where eth1 occur.
Even better way would be to drop default configuration at all and configure the whole router from scratch, but that's only if you have at least some basic mikrotik experience.
Many thanks for your reply!

I will try that.