Community discussions

MikroTik App

stevan81
just joined
Topic Author

MAP 2nd - Station + DHCP on ETH Interface

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Hi All,
i'm new user of Mikrotik products. I want to connect a desktop to my main office WiFi using Map2 set as station mode.
I want that PC receive IP address from my DHCP Server but i'm not able to do this step.
Can you please give me a suggestion how to configure this?
I have setup the wlan1 as station-pseudobridge and i can receive the IP Address from my DHCP Server.
Actually work only if i set a Static Ip on ether1 (192.168.100.91) and a Static ip on my Desktop (192.168.100.93)

This is the configuration i have done:
# oct/23/2019 12:53:24 by RouterOS 6.44.3
# software id = S9V9-IZNW
#
# model = RouterBOARD mAP 2nD
# serial number = ******
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no mode=station-pseudobridge ssid=\
    Test wireless-protocol=802.11
/interface list
add name=WAN
add name=LAN
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa2-psk eap-methods="" mode=\
    dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik wpa2-pre-shared-key=\
/ip hotspot profile
set [ find default=yes ] html-directory=flash/hotspot
/interface bridge filter
add action=drop chain=input dst-port=68 in-interface=!wlan1 ip-protocol=udp \
    mac-protocol=ip
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=wlan1
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1
/interface list member
add interface=wlan1 list=WAN
add interface=ether1 list=LAN
/ip address
add address=192.168.100.91/24 interface=ether1 network=192.168.100.0
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=bridge1
/system clock
set time-zone-name=Europe/Rome
Thanks
Stefano

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MAP 2nd - Station + DHCP on ETH Interface

Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Station pseudobridge has a limited support for layer 2 and generally should be avoided when possible

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... eudobridge

Since DHCP works in layer 2 it seems it cant work as it should... I have not tested it but i guess thats the problem...

stevan81
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 am

So the only solution is to have another mikrotik set as AP?
Station pseudobridge has a limited support for layer 2 and generally should be avoided when possible

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... eudobridge

Since DHCP works in layer 2 it seems it cant work as it should... I have not tested it but i guess thats the problem...

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:45 pm

Yes with mode Station Bridge...

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:32 pm

You've got wlan1 and ether1 in bridge1 and then you have ether1 designated as LAN and wlan1 set as WAN . I think if you delete the Interface list members and leave the Bridge1 as the DHCP client your script should work.

Station Bridge will only work if the AP is mikrotik hardware. If not Station or Station Pseudobridge will work for you.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 pm

Station Bridge will only work if the AP is mikrotik hardware. If not Station or Station Pseudobridge will work for you.
You dont read all the posts...
Stevan81 asked if it would be better to get another MikroTik and configure it as Access Point in order to connect the map to it...

So i answered him Yes and that he will use station bridge mode instead...

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 pm

I did read all the posts but got side tracked writing the answer too quickly. The part that bothered me was when the OP asked "So the only solution is to have another mikrotik set as AP?" and you answered "Yes with mode Station Bridge...". That is a solution but not the only solution. What the OP was trying to do seems to be one of the things that the "Station Pseudobridge" mode what created for.

If he resets his mAP with no configuration then sets his wireless as a "Station Pseudobridge" and bridges all his mAP ports he will be able to bridge his DHCP to his computer via ethernet.

Zacharias
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:22 am

Station Pseudobridge" mode what created for.
I will repeat my self
This mode is available for all protocols except nv2 and should be avoided when possible
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... ion-bridge

He can get one more MikroTik AP and do his setup correctly... its not a big deal to buy a home/office AP to make the link...

stevan81
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:34 am

I did read all the posts but got side tracked writing the answer too quickly. The part that bothered me was when the OP asked "So the only solution is to have another mikrotik set as AP?" and you answered "Yes with mode Station Bridge...". That is a solution but not the only solution. What the OP was trying to do seems to be one of the things that the "Station Pseudobridge" mode what created for.

If he resets his mAP with no configuration then sets his wireless as a "Station Pseudobridge" and bridges all his mAP ports he will be able to bridge his DHCP to his computer via ethernet.
I have set Station Pseudobridge and try to bridge all Ports but unfortunally not worked.

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Station Pseudobridge" mode what created for.
I will repeat my self
This mode is available for all protocols except nv2 and should be avoided when possible
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:W ... ion-bridge

He can get one more MikroTik AP and do his setup correctly... its not a big deal to buy a home/office AP to make the link...
You have only quoted the first sentence of the paragraph about use of Station Pseudobridge. The second sentence covers the OP's situation.
"The usage of this mode can only be justified if AP does not support better mode for L2 bridging (e.g. when non-RouterOS AP is used) or if only one end-user device must be connected to network by means of station device."

While you are correct about a Mikrotik AP solving the problem it is possible the OP would like to get things working now and not buy another router.

Stevan81, I believe the code below will get your mAP working properly as a cpe bridge to your DHCP server. You must put this code in router without any configuration. You should use Winbox.exe to do this as simply as possible.
1. Copy the code and paste it into a text processor such as NotePad then change the settings that are in uppercase to what you want. Save the file with the .rsc extension, not .txt.
2. Access your mAP using Winbox.exe and the MAC address of your mAP.
3. Drag and drop the modified .rsc file into any window in Winbox and it will go to the Files window. In the Files window drag and drop it into the "flash" folder.
4. Go to System>Reset Configuration. Check mark "No Default Configuration" and "Do Not Backup" then click on "Run After Reset" box and select the .rsc file you put in Files.
5. Click "Reset Configuration" . When the mAP comes back up it should connect to your AP and your computer should get an IP from your AP.

I tested this on an RB951ui-2HnD connecting to an old Asus router I had. If it doesn't work go to System>Reboot and reboot the mAP.
/delay 10s
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] disabled=no frequency=auto mode=\
    station-pseudobridge ssid=YOURSSID
/interface wireless security-profiles
set [ find default=yes ] authentication-types=wpa-psk,wpa2-psk group-ciphers=\
    tkip,aes-ccm mode=dynamic-keys supplicant-identity=MikroTik \
    unicast-ciphers=tkip,aes-ccm wpa-pre-shared-key=YOURPASSWORD \
    wpa2-pre-shared-key=YOURPASSWORD
/interface bridge port