Community discussions

MikroTik App

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

IPv6 PPPoE and DHCP issue

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:43 pm

I have configured IPv6 PPPoE and DHCP but i was got issue on both for clients end not able to get DNS and in PPPoE Gateway & DNS not coming.

Below attached PPPoE client and DHCP client images.
image (1).png
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: IPv6 PPPoE and DHCP issue

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:51 pm

Anyone can help me please.

romihg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:16 pm

First uninstall Teredo. When you have native IPv6 you do not need Teredo. And why do you have 2 IPv6 gateways ? About DNS IPv4 DNS can serve AAAA as well. Is Dlink client for your ISP and you want share IPv6 on your network?

Next time ask this questions on Dlink support not here.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:02 pm

Your CCR1036 (which I see you have as an access concentrator from your other posts) needs to be configured with IPv6 DNS servers under IP->DNS to hand them out to the client routers. Obviously you can have both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS configured in IP->DNS on the 1036 and that is fine.

Also, what Windows version is that?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:09 am

I have added Both DNS in my router but not getting on DHCP and PPPoE. Connected to Dlink on PPPoE same issue and also i have tried to dial up on Direct PC same i have not received IPv6 DNS.
gateway.PNG
dns.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 am

May i know what is teredo, I have using windows 7 and windows 8.1 also windows 10, From Apple i have seen macbook pro, Also IPhone all are not received DNS and gateway.

First uninstall Teredo. When you have native IPv6 you do not need Teredo. And why do you have 2 IPv6 gateways ? About DNS IPv4 DNS can serve AAAA as well. Is Dlink client for your ISP and you want share IPv6 on your network?

romihg
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:35 pm

Teredo is a transition technology that gives full IPv6 connectivity for IPv6-capable hosts that are on the IPv4 Internet but have no native connection to an IPv6 network. Unlike similar protocols such as 6to4, it can perform its function even from behind network address translation (NAT) devices such as home routers.
Teredo is a temporary measure. In the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. Teredo should be disabled when native IPv6 connectivity becomes available. Christian Huitema developed Teredo at Microsoft, and the IETF standardized it as RFC 4380. The Teredo server listens on UDP port 3544.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 pm

I have seen that there is no teredo installed in my PC.
Teredo is a transition technology that gives full IPv6 connectivity for IPv6-capable hosts that are on the IPv4 Internet but have no native connection to an IPv6 network. Unlike similar protocols such as 6to4, it can perform its function even from behind network address translation (NAT) devices such as home routers.
Teredo is a temporary measure. In the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. Teredo should be disabled when native IPv6 connectivity becomes available. Christian Huitema developed Teredo at Microsoft, and the IETF standardized it as RFC 4380. The Teredo server listens on UDP port 3544.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:14 pm

I have tried to get traffic from IPv6 only after disabling IPv4 it's not working. Also i tried to block internet on IPv4 to use IPv6 traffic not worked.
I have got only IPv4 dns if i removed it no internet.
About DNS IPv4 DNS can serve AAAA as well. Is Dlink client for your ISP and you want share IPv6 on your network?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am

Anyone can help me!

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Your CCR shows fe80::1 as a dynamic DNS server. It looks like it might be handing that down to the D-Link client device, which will not work. Your CCR router is probably configured to pull that from an upstream device. You may have to switch that off, for instance by disabling "Use Peer DNS" in DHCPv6 client settings if your CCR is getting IPv6 through DHCPv6.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for your replay,
I have to turned off the " Use Peer DNS" in the dhcp client settings at clients end or on my server end? Below i have added the image of it, There Interface Eth6 is my up link.

can you suggest on this.

here it's only server not client.

peer-dns.PNG
Last edited by danunjaya123 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 am

I'm using mikrotik as a server and there is no mikrotik clients in my end, Here all are Dlink, TP Link, Neatgear,etc,,,,. Home router are in PPPoE for my customers.
I have using Mobile phone and windows PC's and apple mac's on DHCP for my office clients purpose.

In both i have receiving the IP only, NO gateway and NO DNS.(on PPPoE IP and PD pool receiving)
Your CCR shows fe80::1 as a dynamic DNS server. It looks like it might be handing that down to the D-Link client device, which will not work. Your CCR router is probably configured to pull that from an upstream device. You may have to switch that off, for instance by disabling "Use Peer DNS" in DHCPv6 client settings if your CCR is getting IPv6 through DHCPv6.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm using mikrotik as a server and there is no mikrotik clients in my end, Here all are Dlink, TP Link, Neatgear,etc,,,,. Home router are in PPPoE for my customers.
I have using Mobile phone and windows PC's and apple mac's on DHCP for my office clients purpose.

In both i have receiving the IP only, NO gateway and NO DNS.(on PPPoE IP and PD pool receiving)
I've circled the problematic DNS server in the screenshot above and posted it back.
peer-dns.PNG
That fe80::1 is not supposed to be there. You are getting that dynamically from somewhere and your CCR router is installing it and it seems to be messing up handing out the correct DNS servers to the clients because it is handing it out instead of the static ones you specified. You'll need to figure out where that is coming from.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:51 am

I have tried to check all vlans disable and enable but dns is still same and why gateway is also not coming ?

I've circled the problematic DNS server in the screenshot above and posted it back.

peer-dns.PNG

That fe80::1 is not supposed to be there. You are getting that dynamically from somewhere and your CCR router is installing it and it seems to be messing up handing out the correct DNS servers to the clients because it is handing it out instead of the static ones you specified. You'll need to figure out where that is coming from.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:09 am

I have tried to check all vlans disable and enable but dns is still same and why gateway is also not coming ?
So the only thing I can think of is that you are getting DNS through RA packets.

On your CCR, go into IPv6->Settings and make sure that "Accept Router Advertisements" is set to "no".
RAs.PNG

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you very much there in my devices it was "Yes" now i have changed it to "NO".

I have got DNS in PPPoe Dial up in Dlink Router.

Kindly give me solution for Gateway also in PPPoE.

Coming to DHCP still same issue not able to get DNS and Gateway.
So the only thing I can think of is that you are getting DNS through RA packets.

On your CCR, go into IPv6->Settings and make sure that "Accept Router Advertisements" is set to "no".

RAs.PNG

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Thank you very much there in my devices it was "Yes" now i have changed it to "NO".

Sorry, what is the problem with the gateway exactly? The device should simply use the PPPoE interface as the IPv6 gateway. The CCR shouldn't have to provide a gateway to the D-Link. Have you checked to see if the IPv6 internet works through the D-Link now?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:38 pm

I have dial up from Wifi router and got below IP and DNS, Pd prifix etc...
router.PNG
When i connect PC i have got Only IP of IPv6 all other came with IPv4 as below .
from router.PNG
Is this working fine or i have to do anything else.

Coming to DHCP configuration i have issue with DNS and Gateway Like below.
dhcp.PNG

Sorry, what is the problem with the gateway exactly? The device should simply use the PPPoE interface as the IPv6 gateway. The CCR shouldn't have to provide a gateway to the D-Link. Have you checked to see if the IPv6 internet works through the D-Link now?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm

When i connect PC i have got Only IP of IPv6 all other came with IPv4 as below .
from router.PNG

Is this working fine or i have to do anything else.
Your MikroTik config is fine now. The computer is not getting DNS but that is the D-Link's fault, something is wrong on the D-Link. Either the D-Link is not handing out the DNS servers in the RA packets or it is not acting as DHCPv6 server on the local network. Either way that is a D-Link problem and nothing to do with RouterOS.
Coming to DHCP configuration i have issue with DNS and Gateway Like below.
dhcp.PNG
In this second image you seem to be on a network with two routers connected simultaneously, so you are getting two gateways. The solution is to not plug in two routers in the first place.

Go to https://ipv6-test.com/ to verify IPv6 is working properly.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:02 am

I have seen that both gateway's are found in same mikrotik only ( i have selected in the image of mikrotik)
pc.PNG
mikrotik.PNG
I have added IP in the vlan 100 as below let me know is there anything wrong in this.
ip.PNG
In this second image you seem to be on a network with two routers connected simultaneously, so you are getting two gateways. The solution is to not plug in two routers in the first place.

[/quote]

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:06 am

ipv6.PNG
[/quote]

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes, that looks fine. 19/20 is normal. No need for the PTR (hostname).

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Can you please confirm this.
I have seen that both gateway's are found in same mikrotik only ( i have selected in the image of mikrotik)

pc.PNGmikrotik.PNG

I have added IP in the vlan 100 as below let me know is there anything wrong in this.
ip.PNG

[/quote]

This is the vlan's dhcp config.
ip's assign.PNG

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:26 pm

That also looks fine. I assume you have that set up for customers who are NOT on pppoe. That is the normal way you would do that.

The device appearing as the second default gateway on that network is some kind of Cisco device, based on the MAC address. I’m just not sure why the Cisco device is sending RA packets.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:26 pm

Just to be completely clear, the IPv6 test will give a score of 19/20 for virtually everybody. Hostname will be "None" for the vast majority of IPv6 end users now and into the future. They shouldn't be counting it in their score at all - right now they deduct one mark out of 20 (giving 19 instead). However, that is just their test being way too picky.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm getting 20/20 ... what am I doing wrong? :wink:

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:47 pm

The only way you get 20/20 is if you have a PTR record for your computer's IPv6 address. This won't be the case for just about any home customer. The current recommendation is to not create PTR for residential hosts for IPv6, and so it shouldn't give a 19/20 score for following the current recommendation.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 am

The only way you get 20/20 is if you have a PTR record for your computer's IPv6 address. This won't be the case for just about any home customer. The current recommendation is to not create PTR for residential hosts for IPv6, and so it shouldn't give a 19/20 score for following the current recommendation.
Well, 19/20 is still green, isn't it? Plus, if usual residental user gets 19/19, what should non-usual user with PTR record get, 20/19? And it's kinda generous already: for straight IPv4 without IPv6 one gets score 3/20 and if user uses IPv6-able server as upstream resolver, it gets another point (score 4/20). And yet that user is not IPv6 user at all, so it should receive 0/XX. IMHO, if computer doesn't have global IPv6 address, it shouldn't get score higher than 0.

And the whole testing is non-transparent at best. I couldn't (quickly) find any information about which tests are being performed ... there are 16 items displayed on the page and one wonders how that relates to 20 possible points.

IMHO technically more correct page is https://test-ipv6.com/ ... less colourfull though (I guess this makes it much less popular than https://ipv6-test.com :wink:), but gives 0/10 to IPv4-only client. Shows tests conducted as well. I just don't know if it tests for PTR record as well?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:38 am

Well, 19/20 is still green, isn't it? Plus, if usual residental user gets 19/19, what should non-usual user with PTR record get, 20/19?
Except 19/20 makes it seem to the average user that something isn't working. Whereas they can have completely working IPv6 with completely valid setup and get 19/20.
And it's kinda generous already: for straight IPv4 without IPv6 one gets score 3/20 and if user uses IPv6-able server as upstream resolver, it gets another point (score 4/20). And yet that user is not IPv6 user at all, so it should receive 0/XX. IMHO, if computer doesn't have global IPv6 address, it shouldn't get score higher than 0.
Agreed.
IMHO technically more correct page is https://test-ipv6.com/ ... less colourfull though (I guess this makes it much less popular than https://ipv6-test.com :wink:), but gives 0/10 to IPv4-only client. Shows tests conducted as well. I just don't know if it tests for PTR record as well?
Perhaps more correct but gives less info regarding what parts do not work.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:27 pm

I have seen that from direct router ether port i have got 1 Gateway with fe80:..... like below with no DNS.
lan.JPG

Coming to my local network it was showing 2 Gateways and no DNS like below.
wifi.JPG

My issue is with both Gateway and DNS in the DHCP.

I have an a doubt on IPv6 gateway is this will come to our clients on dhcp or not?
That also looks fine. I assume you have that set up for customers who are NOT on pppoe. That is the normal way you would do that.

The device appearing as the second default gateway on that network is some kind of Cisco device, based on the MAC address. I’m just not sure why the Cisco device is sending RA packets.
Last edited by danunjaya123 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm using cisco, Huawei switches on my network, I have not enabled IPv6 in any switches.

I have gateway with cisco 7606.
local pop switches are Cisco 3750,Cisco SG300, SF300, SG300 POE, Huawei S5701

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm using cisco, Huawei switches on my network, I have not enabled IPv6 in any switches.

I have gateway with cisco 7606.
local pop switches are Cisco 3750,Cisco SG300, SF300, SG300 POE, Huawei S5701
Well there is some Cisco device advertising that it is an IPv6 router on VLAN 100. This is from your own screenshot above:
cisco neighbor.PNG
Whatever that device is, it is giving your computer a second gateway.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:40 pm

I have an a doubt on IPv6 gateway is this will come to our clients on dhcp or not?
Unlike IPv4, IPv6 cannot send default gateway through DHCP. It is sent by RA (Router Advertisement) packets, which is a part of the ICMPv6 protocol, also used for pinging.

IPv6 DNS server addresses can be provided by RA packets as well, and/or can be provided by DHCP.

Windows 10 has a very specific behavior regarding IPv6 DNS:

1. If Windows receives no DNS server IPs through IPv4 DHCP, but it receives v6 DNS server addresses in RA packets, it will use the v6 addresses for DNS.
2. If Windows receives DNS server IPs through IPv4 DHCP and also receives v6 DNS server addresses in RA packets, it will use only the IPv4 addresses for DNS and ignore the DNS servers advertised in the IPv6 RA packets.
3. If Windows receives DNS server IPs through both IPv4 and IPv6 DHCP, it will use both the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses for DNS.

In all three cases IPv6 will still work however, even if the computers don't use the v6 address for the DNS server, because the v4 DNS servers can still resolve DNS names to IPv6 addresses.
Last edited by mducharme on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:50 pm

I have seen that from direct router ether port i have got 1 Gateway with fe80:..... like below with no DNS.
lan.JPG

wifi.JPG
Can you explain what those two screenshots are showing? Are they behind two different routers and if so which routers? I don't understand the topology here. You are saying things like "from direct router ether port", which router? "my local network", what network and router is that? All I am seeing is ipconfig printout from Windows being on two different networks.

For the first screenshot, I do not see any problems - is it not working? For the second screenshot, as I said before, it is showing two gateways because the Cisco that I mentioned above is sending RA packets that the computer is receiving. If the Cisco in question (with MAC 00:15:FA:E1:37:80) should not be advertised as a router then you should locate the device and disable sending the RA packets. Also it is not getting IPv6 DNS because it is not receiving them through DHCPv6, however even with just IPv4 DNS, IPv6 will still work.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 am

In the first (Lan) image it was connected to direct CCR1036 eth3 port and in the second (wifi) image it was connected on my local network which is used by cisco and huawei in the middle ware for local offices.

Eth6 is Up link port.
00:15:FA:E1:37:80 this mac is from CCR uplink cisco BGP there is nothing configured on BGP port, i have just added the IP in the interface.
eth6.PNG
This is the configuration on cisco port.
interface GigabitEthernet2/18
description Bras-IPv6
no ip address
ipv6 address 2222:FFFF:2222:1111::1/64

lan.JPG

wifi.JPG
Can you explain what those two screenshots are showing? Are they behind two different routers and if so which routers? I don't understand the topology here. You are saying things like "from direct router ether port", which router? "my local network", what network and router is that? All I am seeing is ipconfig printout from Windows being on two different networks.

For the first screenshot, I do not see any problems - is it not working? For the second screenshot, as I said before, it is showing two gateways because the Cisco that I mentioned above is sending RA packets that the computer is receiving. If the Cisco in question (with MAC 00:15:FA:E1:37:80) should not be advertised as a router then you should locate the device and disable sending the RA packets. Also it is not getting IPv6 DNS because it is not receiving them through DHCPv6, however even with just IPv4 DNS, IPv6 will still work.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:35 am

in the second (wifi) image it was connected on my local network which is used by cisco and huawei in the middle ware for local offices.
So in the second (wifi) image what is the default gateway supposed to be? Is it supposed to be the cisco one (with MAC 00:15:FA:E1:37:80)? Or is it supposed to be the mikrotik (with mac E4:8D:8C:2B:96:B0)? Meaning you have two default gateways in that one, which one is right and which is wrong?
Last edited by mducharme on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:37 am

This is the configuration on cisco port.
description Bras-IPv6
no ip address
ipv6 address 2222:FFFF:2222:1111::1/64

You will have to disable router advertisements on Cisco if it is meant to use RB as IPv6 gateway. Quick googling returns also this page which seems promising.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:44 am

You will have to disable router advertisements on Cisco if it is meant to use RB as IPv6 gateway. Quick googling returns also this page which seems promising.
Yes if the MikroTik is supposed to be the IPv6 gateway for that network, you should run the following on the Cisco to disable RA (Router Advertisements):

conf t
ipv6 nd ra suppress

(and save with wr mem)

On the other hand, if the Cisco is supposed to be the IPv6 gateway for that network, you should instead uncheck "advertise" on the MikroTik IPv6 address dialog box three posts above (which turns off RA), and leave RA enabled on the Cisco.

Either way you will end up with only one default gateway (either the Cisco or the MikroTik) instead of both. Do not turn off the RA on both the MikroTik and the Cisco otherwise you will probably not get any gateway when you are on wifi.

So the only question then is which device is supposed to be the gateway when you are on wifi - is it supposed to be the Cisco (with MAC 00:15:FA:E1:37:80), or the MikroTik (with mac E4:8D:8C:2B:96:B0)? I do not understand your topology so I don't know which of the two devices you want to be the gateway when you are on wifi. You will have to decide and disable RA on the correct device based on that.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 am

I have using like below diagram,
network.png

I think i need Gateway from My CCR only not from Cisco BGP, After CCR total lan network only.

I have seen my cisco commands like below
Edgecore.(config-if)#ipv6 nd ?
dad (Duplicate Address Detection)
managed-config-flag (Hosts should use DHCP for address config)
ns-interval (Set advertised NS retransmission interval)
other-config-flag (Hosts should use DHCP for non-address config)
prefix (Configure IPv6 Routing Prefix Advertisement)
ra-interval (Set IPv6 Router Advertisement Interval)
ra-lifetime (Set IPv6 Router Advertisement Lifetime)
reachable-time ( Set advertised reachability time)
suppress-ra (Suppress IPv6 Router Advertisements)
Edgecore.(config-if)#ipv6 nd suppress-ra

So now i have to do turn of ra in cisco on gateway port or mikrotik "advertisement" on up link port.
Yes if the MikroTik is supposed to be the IPv6 gateway for that network, you should run the following on the Cisco to disable RA (Router Advertisements):

conf t
ipv6 nd ra suppress

(and save with wr mem)

On the other hand, if the Cisco is supposed to be the IPv6 gateway for that network, you should instead uncheck "advertise" on the MikroTik IPv6 address dialog box three posts above (which turns off RA), and leave RA enabled on the Cisco.

Either way you will end up with only one default gateway (either the Cisco or the MikroTik) instead of both. Do not turn off the RA on both the MikroTik and the Cisco otherwise you will probably not get any gateway when you are on wifi.

So the only question then is which device is supposed to be the gateway when you are on wifi - is it supposed to be the Cisco (with MAC 00:15:FA:E1:37:80), or the MikroTik (with mac E4:8D:8C:2B:96:B0)? I do not understand your topology so I don't know which of the two devices you want to be the gateway when you are on wifi. You will have to decide and disable RA on the correct device based on that.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:44 am

Based on the diagram your Wi-Fi computer shouldn’t see the Cisco RAs at all unless the Mikrotik is bridging the Huawei to the Cisco BGP. If it is doing that on purpose, why? It is a bit strange to bridge an upstream interface to a downstream one in what looks like a fully routed network.

Obviously running that command on the Cisco will stop the RAs from getting to the computer in this case but I would question your use of bridging here in the first place.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:28 pm

Which cisco is it actually doing? Cisco-BGP or cisco in the bottom part of chart? If CCR is actually configured as router, then I highly doubt CCR would pass Cisco-BGP's RAs to the LAN side ...

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 pm

I have added the command in cisco port now 1 gateway is coming from CCR.

I need to know that In the IPv6 we will not get any Gateway like IPv4? Now i have getting fe80::xxx:xxx: Why this will be coming?

Now my issue is DNS From DHCP i have still not getting IPv6 DNS in the DHCP pool.
Based on the diagram your Wi-Fi computer shouldn’t see the Cisco RAs at all unless the Mikrotik is bridging the Huawei to the Cisco BGP. If it is doing that on purpose, why? It is a bit strange to bridge an upstream interface to a downstream one in what looks like a fully routed network.

Obviously running that command on the Cisco will stop the RAs from getting to the computer in this case but I would question your use of bridging here in the first place.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:19 pm

I have got now this
1gateway.PNG

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Now i have getting fe80::xxx:xxx:
You should know that the fe80:: addresses are completely fine to use as local addresses, actually you could run an IPv6 LAN completely off the link-local addresses if you wanted. The only problem (which isn't really) is that they are not global and thus can not pass router. Anyway, your PC assumed valid global IPv6 address and received a valid IPv6 router address. So the big question is: does IPv6 now works for you and your questions are more curiosity/cosmetic questions? Or IPv6 actually doesn't work yet?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you very much for your replay..

I have getting Valid IPv6 IP and getting Fe80::... gateway, But not able to get IPv6 DNS,

When i have removed IPv4 in the PC internet won't works. I have tried one more way i.e i have blocked youtube,facebook on IPv4 and tried to browse when IPv4 and IPv6 interface is enabled i have not able to open both.

I think i have to get DNS so that my clients will get internet over IPv6.
Now i have getting fe80::xxx:xxx:
You should know that the fe80:: addresses are completely fine to use as local addresses, actually you could run an IPv6 LAN completely off the link-local addresses if you wanted. The only problem (which isn't really) is that they are not global and thus can not pass router. Anyway, your PC assumed valid global IPv6 address and received a valid IPv6 router address. So the big question is: does IPv6 now works for you and your questions are more curiosity/cosmetic questions? Or IPv6 actually doesn't work yet?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:10 pm

I have seen one more this that is actually issue or not i don't know.
When i go to IPv6>addresses i have seen many of the clients are showing with FE80::.. link local ip for PPPoE clients ID's and For all vlan's.
address-list.PNG
Also going to Neighbors list i have observed that for 1 mac i'm getting public IP also link local IP But some clients are only getting Link Local IP as below image
neighobor-list.PNG

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm

When i go to IPv6>addresses i have seen many of the clients are showing with FE80::.. link local ip for PPPoE clients ID's and For all vlan's.
That is normal.
Also going to Neighbors list i have observed that for 1 mac i'm getting public IP also link local IP But some clients are only getting Link Local IP as below image
Are the clients getting only a link local routers, or are they computers? If they are routers, they should still work as long as those same clients are getting a prefix from DHCPv6.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 pm

I have getting Valid IPv6 IP and getting Fe80::... gateway, But not able to get IPv6 DNS,
Have you added DHCPV6 server on that vlan? What neighbor discovery settings are configured on the mikrotik under ipv6-> ND?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:33 pm

On DHCP im using direct PC's only.
That is normal.
Are the clients getting only a link local routers, or are they computers? If they are routers, they should still work as long as those same clients are getting a prefix from DHCPv6.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm

This what i did in the IPv6->ND
nd.PNG
Have you added DHCPV6 server on that vlan? What neighbor discovery settings are configured on the mikrotik under ipv6-> ND?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 pm

This what i did in the IPv6->ND
You’ll need to also check “other configuration” box if you want Windows to get DNS server addresses from DHCPV6 server on MikroTik. If they don’t get DNS v6 after that then you have not added DHCPv6 server for that specific network.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:50 pm

On DHCP im using direct PC's only.
This answer makes no sense. Do you mean you are only using PCs on that VLAN? I don’t know what you mean by “on DHCP”.

Are you sure those PCs are not getting global IPV6 addresses and only link local?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Thanks a lot to all,

My issue was cleared.
1. PPPoE Clints DNS Issue.
2. DHCP Client Gateway issue.
3. DHCP Clients DNS Issue.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:03 am

After all this setup's i have got new issue with DNS resolver. Getting slow browing and some websites are not resolving with IPv6 DNS.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 am

After all this setup's i have got new issue with DNS resolver. Getting slow browing and some websites are not resolving with IPv6 DNS.
Hard to say what your problem is. Slow browsing can have many different causes.

IPv6 DNS servers should resolve the same websites as IPv4. I really doubt that any problems you may be experiencing are due to use of IPv6 DNS servers.

Slow browsing is most likely caused by some websites not loading via IPv6 and timing out and loading via IPv4.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:52 am

I have no issue with IPv4 and direct ISP input IPv6 IP, When i give DHCPv6 and PPPoE to my clients there we are getting the issue with DNS. Sometimes it's resolving immediate but sometimes packet losses.

With IPv4 DNS resolving with no issue.

I have attached the nslookup screenshots.
nslookup1.PNG
nslookup2.PNG

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:38 am

While you are doing your resolver tests, try running a continuous ping (ping -t) from the same computer to the Google DNS IP: 2001:4860:4860::8844

That way you can see if you have general packet loss with IPv6.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:30 am

I can strongly say that there is no packet drop issue when doing DNS resolver or while browsing.( i have not seen any packet drop for any websites)
Im getting ping google and google DNS with =16 ms, Facebook with =24ms.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 pm

I can strongly say that there is no packet drop issue when doing DNS resolver or while browsing.( i have not seen any packet drop for any websites)
Im getting ping google and google DNS with =16 ms, Facebook with =24ms.
What you really should do is test that same DNS server from different points on your network. It could be some problem with the server itself. For instance does your CCR have the same problem resolving names?
put [:resolve facebook.com server=2001:4860:4860::8844]
Also try resolving against a different IPv6 DNS server to see if the same problem happens. (ex. cloudflare dns: 2606:4700:4700::1111)

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:46 am

Is there any option on CCR for NSLookup?
What you really should do is test that same DNS server from different points on your network. It could be some problem with the server itself. For instance does your CCR have the same problem resolving names?

This DNS better than Google DNS But not performing on fast browsing.
Also try resolving against a different IPv6 DNS server to see if the same problem happens. (ex. cloudflare dns: 2606:4700:4700::1111)
[/quote]

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:59 am

Is there any option on CCR for NSLookup?
Yes I told you in the last post:
put [:resolve facebook.com server=2001:4860:4860::8844]

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 am

I got as like below image
resolver.PNG

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

resolver.PNG
Are you sure three tries is enough to properly test it? When I see your screenshots above, I see that you had problems resolving facebook on the fourth try but the first three were OK. But you are sure the CCR is OK after three tries?

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:58 pm

I have seen that with many tries that are resolves on IPv4 every time.( why it was solving IPv6 IP)
When i do with "2606:4700:4700::1111" with this DNS it is going to resolve but sometimes getting request timed out issue.
When i did with 2001:4860:4860::8888,2001:4860:4860::8844 DNS it is getting heavy timed outs.

When i tried from Mikrotik for Google DNS it was taking 10 to 30 seconds to resolve every sites on continue testes,
With Cloud fare DNS i have getting within seconds response but in few requests are taking 10 to 20 seconds to respond.
resolver.PNG
Are you sure three tries is enough to properly test it? When I see your screenshots above, I see that you had problems resolving facebook on the fourth try but the first three were OK. But you are sure the CCR is OK after three tries?

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:54 pm

I have seen that with many tries that are resolves on IPv4 every time.( why it was solving IPv6 IP)
When i do with "2606:4700:4700::1111" with this DNS it is going to resolve but sometimes getting request timed out issue.
When i did with 2001:4860:4860::8888,2001:4860:4860::8844 DNS it is getting heavy timed outs.

When i tried from Mikrotik for Google DNS it was taking 10 to 30 seconds to resolve every sites on continue testes,
With Cloud fare DNS i have getting within seconds response but in few requests are taking 10 to 20 seconds to respond.
This could be a reverse path filtering issue (where the response DNS packet takes a different route than the request). Unless the problem is with your IPv6 gateway (whoever provides that), it is possible that you are having some issues due to your weird network design. You previously had problems where the PC was picking up router advertisement packets from the Cisco before, and that shouldn't happen in the first place. So obviously you are bridging things that shouldn't be bridged and there may be other such errors in your configuration.

EDIT: Just to be absolutely clear - previously your PC was receiving RA packets from the Cisco BGP router. RA packets do not pass through other routers, only switches. So the fact that your PC was able to receive RA packets from the Cisco before is alarming and suggests that your Cisco BGP router is somehow connected directly to the same network as your PC by either a switch or a bridge. And if this is the case, there may be other problems here. You seemed to ignore my concerns previously because your list of things you wanted to fix was fixed. The behavior seems to indicate that your network is actually set up as follows when it comes to subnets (let me leave out some devices to simplify):
RA packet    Cisco BGP            RA packet 
  |         /         \              |
  |        /           \             |
  |       /             \            | Cisco's
  |     CCR           Mystery        | RA packet
  *   (Router)      Switch/Bridge    | is passed
Router   \              /            | through
blocks    \            /             | switch to
Cisco RA   \          /              | test PC
packet      \        /               v
             Test PC
That is the only way that your test PC should be able to pick up the RA packets from the Cisco, otherwise it would be impossible. It is possible that the "mystery switch/bridge" is the CCR itself, but that is possible only if the CCR port that connects to the Cisco is configured as a bridge port of some bridge. Otherwise, the mystery switch/bridge is some other device, and you need to track it down and stop it from switching or bridging traffic between the networks.

And yes, we switched off the RA packets on the Cisco so those shouldn't be a problem anymore but it is highly likely that the mystery switch is causing other problems for you and is causing this problem.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:28 am

Hi mducharme.

I Have network as you said with one vlan.
I have using vlan 100 from CCR and BGP as below ex. graph.The other vlans are created from CCR end for PPPoE.

But i have DNS resolving issue on both DHCP network and PPPoe network.
bgp.png

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:35 pm

I'm Thinking that if we give without IPv6 DNS to clients is IPv6 traffic will go on IPv6 or not ?
Only IPv4 IP & DNS, IPv6 IP,PD Pool will release to clients.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm Thinking that if we give without IPv6 DNS to clients is IPv6 traffic will go on IPv6 or not ?
IPv4 DNS servers serve AAAA records ... and that's needed for clients to use IPv6 to connect to internet servers.

So yes, configuring dual-stack clients with only IPv4 DNS servers does enable use of IPv6 when remote server has IPv6 address and corresponding AAAA record.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:39 pm

I Have network as you said with one vlan.
What is the role of those routers? I see BGP 7606 and LAN Gateway 7606 and CCR 1036. What are they supposed to be doing?

It is highly unusual to use the same VLAN on both the public side and the private side of those two routers (LAN gateway 7606 and CCR 1036). I think this may be the cause of your problem.

Removing the IPv6 DNS may cause all the DNS queries to succeed but the problem is that I doubt this is only affecting DNS traffic - this problem is probably actually affecting all IPv6 traffic except ICMPv6 (ping). So removing the IPv6 DNS servers would only be a partial fix because you would still have other IPv6 traffic that is broken. Do a proper fix instead.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi,

I have removed IPv6 Pool in Vlan 100 from BGP so now no more contact from BGP to client on IPv6. But the same issue some time i have seen that google mails and sheets getting error like internet not connected(ping is ok for all websites).
I got complaint with Play store mainly it's very slow after adding IPv6 on my network.

Now only 1 route is from BGP to clients.
1) BGP to CCR with an IP.
2) CCR to Huawei with an Trunk port.
3) Huawei to Client with an access vlan 100

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:39 pm

Hello all,

I have got 1 issue in the IPv6 over PPPoE service, When i dial up i have got IP and PD Pool,DNS but in RADIUS i have not received any PD pool just getting only IP Prifix.

Thanks.

danunjaya123
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi Mikrotik team.

Any update on my issue regarding PD pool not reflecting in radius server